Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sportage GT-edition CRDI 2.0 -16 // Volkswagen Passat 4-motion -17
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like every time i fix a problem with this car something else comes along...

I read the other similar thread but decided to make one of my own since i have other problems with loss of power.

It started when i changed the air filter to an K&N filter. After that the engine has been loosing power at some points. The problem comes when i´m driving and usually downshifting and accelerating after that. The car "dies" and 80% power loss. It still accelerates but with much less power.

I of course bought a new original filter but the problem persists.

I now also have the "check engine" code P0401 which is the EGR.

So the problem fixes it self from time to time and works just fine but looses power sometimes.

Clues?

(Ceed -08, 2.0 CRDI)

·
Registered
09 Pro-Ceed 1.4 ZR7
346 Posts
I have heard in the past (although not on Kia) that K&N type filters that are oiled can cause issue with the MAF sensor. The oil from the filter can stick to the MAF and cause it to give incorrect readings to the ECU giving poor running.

Im not saying this is the cause but maybe worth a check? Even if you have replaced the filter with a genuine one the oil from the K&N might have got where it shouldnt?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
to me this makes perfect sense and i had the same idea at first. The first thing i did when i took the k&n filter out was to dry it.

Is there a way to clean the MAF? took it apart and it does not look lite it can be cleaned.

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,175 Posts
Here in the US, CRC-Brand MAF cleaner is readily available, but if not in your location..

This may help:

Crc Maf Cleaner Available Now - The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

--
In short, use a high quality electronics cleaner spray: spray the vanes and sensor thoroughly, while tilting the MAF so the cleaner drains out - and let the MAF unit thoroughly dry before reinstalling. (Give it an hour or so to completely dry before reinstall.)

* Do not attempt to use any tools, etc. to clean the MAF: the vanes & sensor are delicate and are easily damaged - just use the spray and let the cleaner do the work.

If after cleaning the issue improves, but is not cured - remove the MAF and clean again. (If the filter oil heavily coated the MAF, it may take several cleanings to remove all the oil..)

Hope this helps,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going to give this a go! found the spray at a car parts dealer here by.

I´ll be back with results! thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here in the US, CRC-Brand MAF cleaner is readily available, but if not in your location..

This may help:

Crc Maf Cleaner Available Now - The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

--
In short, use a high quality electronics cleaner spray: spray the vanes and sensor thoroughly, while tilting the MAF so the cleaner drains out - and let the MAF unit thoroughly dry before reinstalling. (Give it an hour or so to completely dry before reinstall.)

* Do not attempt to use any tools, etc. to clean the MAF: the vanes & sensor are delicate and are easily damaged - just use the spray and let the cleaner do the work.

If after cleaning the issue improves, but is not cured - remove the MAF and clean again. (If the filter oil heavily coated the MAF, it may take several cleanings to remove all the oil..)

Hope this helps,
GottaCruise
Is there a way to remove the sensor from the housing/cabinet? there are no screws but it looks like its just pressed in the housing.

It is similar to the one below but no screws.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I took it apart this morning. I did not remove the sensor from the housing, i do not know if its possible. If it is possible it will take a lot of force to get it out.

Anyways i used a can of CRC MAF cleaner (7 dollars) with the red little tube to get it through the protective net around the sensor. I sprayed from both ends with and without the tube to really get it in there. I used up the entire can just to be sure i got it all :D. I let it dry for a couple of hours and mounted it again.

The car is now running smooth again i think even smoother than before. I hade a slight twitch before at low RPM (about 1700) but i think it´s gone to. Not sure though...

No warning light so far after a 60 minute drive and no loss of power. I guess the K&N filter was oiled wrong or to much. Don´t know if i want to use it after this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts