Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New sportage stinks after 4000 miles?

Never done the forum thing - so if you would bare with me.

Proud in owner of 2012 KIA Sportage. Just turned 4,000 miles on it. There is a mildew smell when climate control is on cool setting. Pulled the in carbin air filter, completely blugged. Car has never seen a dirt road. Anyone else having the same problem? Thanks

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Greetings,

That definitely does not sound normal - possibly the fresh air vent control was left (open) during transit, or a "critter" or two decided they liked your new car purchase when you got the vehicle home..

--
I'd discuss w/ the dealership where you picked up the car - this should have been caught in the delivery prep,

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

No critters, that would be to easy. Looked every where. Replaced air cabin filter and the smell gone instantly but the filter has no oder? Fixed for now.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
shoebuilt - was exactly does "completely blugged" mean? and what specifically was in the filter?

·
Registered
965 Posts
And who doesn't know that cars with AC practically always develop musty smells, depending on the local climate and how the system is operated. I'm in a very humid clime and it was a hot summer, the second one on this car. I have yet to have any mustiness in it and the cabin air filter has yet to be changed. Just goes to show 'Different strokes for different folks'. Plus, since the problem was solved be changing the filter, what point is made by taking it to the dealer? Who thinks that any dealer checks the cabin air filter on a new car prior to selling it? Why/how could it possibly be contaminated? I have no doubt the filter was 'blugged' after the sale.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage LX AWD
117 Posts
i find it helps if the air circulating switch is left open rather than close. definitely decreases any musty odor. 9,500 miles and no smell. hope this works for you.

·
Registered
557 Posts
There's been a thread in the forum on the subject before -- mildew from the condensate.

There are "air conditioning duct cleaners", a aerosol that is sprayed into the AC intake, I'd assume to sanitize. I don't know how well they work.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The smell is back. We are heading to dealer this week. Filter is full of pieces of leaves, bug parts, and dirt. Mind you the car has never seen a dirt road. My 2008 Toyota has no problem with the dirty moldy smell. We live in a try climate.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
The smell is back. We are heading to dealer this week. Filter is full of pieces of leaves, bug parts, and dirt. Mind you the car has never seen a dirt road. My 2008 Toyota has no problem with the dirty moldy smell. We live in a try climate.
Sounds like you have environmental problems, not a problem with the car. The car didn't come with all that stuff in it, its from wherever you park it and drive it. Just because its never seen a dirt road doesn't mean dirt can't show up.

·
Registered
2K13 Forte SX Lux yada yada yada...
151 Posts
For what it's worth, there is a TSB on foul smell from vents. The dealer will order a cleaning kit for your car. Someone else mentioned this tsb already but can't remember who or which forum but I believe it applies to all A/C units that has a bad smell.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks,

Ya I have read the TSB. I posted the one that I found on the Sportage Forum. Do you know if it just masks the smell or fixes the problem?

·
Registered
2K13 Forte SX Lux yada yada yada...
151 Posts
I would imagine the 'fix' corrects the issue by reversing the source of the smell. Can't say how often you would need to apply or what chemicals are used. Ask the dealer to show you the kit and contents.

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
If you take off the glove box, take out the cabin air filter. You can see straight through the cabin filter housing straight through the outside grill on the base of the windshield. Not surprised if the filter get dirty fast.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update on 2012 Sportage stink

Now that KIA Corp as taken us serious, today they disassambled our car and YES there is mold inside of the evapotor casing. So, to answer questions no your ac should not stink. Different strokes for different folks. Whatever dude.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Maybe the drain doesn't work right on that one, or the way you park it tilts away from the drain. In any case, no need to try to be a prick about it, 'dude'.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2012 KIA Sportage LX AWD has a moldie smell at 4000 miles, after two of the air conditioning system deodorizer treatments they finally completely dismanlted our car (5 days in the shop) and long and be hold it is full of mold. They replaced it, but it still makes my wife sick when she drives it. Mr. Lopez with KIA Consumers states that she as an allergy to mold and not their problem..... Wait a minute - when did we ever say that it is okay to buy a new car that as mold inside of its HVAC system, so when you turn your fan, or your vents are open - look out - you are now eating mold. Take a look at what mold does to a person.. It is not good. So my wife is now driving here new car (under 7000 miles) with one of those white masks on, and has no problem with it. So, is it okay to spend $23,000 to have the joy of wearing a mask. I bought this KIA Sportage in April and thought I did my homework. Boy was I ever wrong. The gas milage refund.. What a joke they want us to say ya give me the money. My check would be about $50 bucks.. Ya.. I did plan on keeping this car for at least 5-7 years I want that check for my gas that they lied about. We can even make it 1 year with 10,000 miles. There is no way that we can keep it out of the shop. Our doors all leak water in as well. Our car has been in the shop 3 times in 3 months. We are making another appointment for next week to try the door leak again.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
The mold issue isn't a problem with KIA vehicles, this will happen with most vehicles. Run the heater to kill the mold and get rid of the smell and change the cabin air filter more often, especially if you run the AC quite a bit.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
Where do you live? I have NEVER heard of this before. As far as the $50.00 a year refund your getting....would you rather get nothing? I think it's a LOT BETTER than NOTHING!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hello, we are not even using ac. This is happening with just with the air going thru the vents. We live in northern Idaho it is 27 outside right now.

I have chanced air cab filter twice. And we are just under 7000 miles. It is not that dirty this last time.

So, is the gas rebate a yearly thing? I Guess I didn't fully read it. If that is the case I'm in the wrong for sure.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts