Kia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.k. Couple questions. I've been asking all around and no one could tell me if it was possiable to put a tach in a 01 Rio. Noone here knows. Also with my Rio could i put on 15 inch rims without having to widen my wheelwell or changing my shocks? If anyone could help me let me know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by paikiah@Dec 13 2004, 09:28 AM
A tachometer( if that's what you're implying) can be installed in any car so long as it already has one on the dash, shouldn't it? Doesn't seem like rocket science to me.
But my 01 Rio has no tachometer already installed. When the 01 addition was made some didnt have a tach installed in them and in this case mine doesnt.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You can easily install a tach in your rio, even if it DOESN'T have one already. The great thing about the Rios is kia but in the wireing for all options, weather or not that paticluar one had it or not. Remove your gauge cluster, in the back where the 3 harnesses plug in look for the lead in the plug portion itself (on the cluster, not the harness) that does not have a lead going to it. I hope that makes sence. I also don't remember what harness it was on either LOL. Anyway, fund the wire in the harness that goes to that spot and splice into that for the green signal wire on your tach.

You can also go under the hood and get it from the diagnostics port by the fuse box. Looking at the port from the front of the car, it is the hole on the top, second in from the right side. Put your signal wire in there or splice into the wire from underneith.

As for the rims, 15's can be done. It is the width and ofset that you need to keep an eye on. I don't remember what the offset for the Rio is but I am thinking it is 40. I had 16x7 rims and had to slightly roll and flare my fenders so I wouldn't rub when I hit a bump. I also had my car lowered 2 inches tho. You can flare your fenders rather cheaply with a wooden baseball bat and a heat gun. Let me know if you want more info on that.

Matt

·
Registered
3 Posts
:) Great post man!

Nice to see that some people take this stuff a little on serious side, and we are not all master builders here! Just trying share information about our most loved past time "Tuning our rides!" :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
That just totally helped me out. I just got a sweet deal on a Sunpro Powerline tach at Canadian Tire, with shift light. Reg., $130 for fifty bucks! "Old stock". Anyhow, had a rough time trying to locate rpm signal. Service dept. told me, "it's the brown wire with a red tracer going into the ECU". Nope. Fuel cut out does not happen at 8oo rpm. I'll try this out and see how it works. Every other car I had was an old dinosaur with distributors and coils, so DIS was not my forte. Also, I was trying to locate a thread on this topic, and the site search always showed no results, but a search engine found it. Just something to check.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio
182 Posts
Originally posted by jblsubs@Feb 20 2005, 05:35 PM
:) Great post man!

Nice to see that some people take this stuff a little on serious side, and we are not all master builders here! Just trying share information about our most loved past time "Tuning our rides!" :)
no i dont think there are many here, there all over at Streetkiazx.com getting parts made for are cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts