Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
'14 Sorento SX V6 (2WD)
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really don't like the giant KIA emblems and since I was awaiting a wiring harness for my DRL/Halo project I started to wonder....

Since there is only options for the large size emblems come with a black inset color I ended up testing out something of my own. This is the flying "K" without the graphic insert removed, then with something special added.

Check out the test run:

The only problem I have was some heat gun damage on this one and surface scratches on that other - lessons learned. If not for that I think this would be on the front of Ruby this weekend. Now to scrape up some cash to get some more of these to prove it out further.

Some things I needed to consider:
1) Refining the process that makes the magic happen. It's not perfect but I think I can get it better.

2) Finding the best topcoat, UV proofing the color. It's got to hold up.

3) Is the purchased emblem going to hold up or should I do something else? They are so expensive.

4) What if the emblem design was different? Cheaper better?

...just rambling, not sure where this is going to go.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX Regency Red, 2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2011 Toyota Hiace
573 Posts
Not a fan of changing the Kia logo but I bet some will show their support :)

·
Registered
'14 Sorento SX V6 (2WD)
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually WANT a KIA logo that is color matched to the car, so the Flying K (and old homage to Kia and Mazda back in the the day) is the only open logo I found so far. It's not like I'm putting a Transformer or Ford logo on the thing ;)

NOTE: No offense to Transformers, Ford owners, or for that sake Hello Kitty emblems users. Ok, well perhaps Hello Kitty.

·
Registered
'15 Sorento LX V6, '05 Dodge Hemi Ram
147 Posts
Personally, I've got no problem with changing emblems. I kinda like the flying K. My car......I can do anything I want! (except I would never put a Ford emblem on anything......even a Ford). I must admit though, Fords must have really good looking engines .......... because you see people pulled over on the side of the road all the time with the hood raised just admiring them. :laugh:

BTW, you can buy a red flying K online (Ebay or google it) and not have to fuss with the paint.

·
Registered
'14 Sorento SX V6 (2WD)
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could not find anyone that sold the proper Sorento size in red so far. Found one site that promoted them but that was just a reseller that said even the manufacture did not make them.

You wouldn't have to know specifically where a 5.69" x 2.87" (approx 144 mm x 73 mm) in red is by chance? I did just find one international site but I;m not sure how that's going to workout. I don't want a clashing red but one that blends well with remington red.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You wouldn't have to know specifically where a 5.69" x 2.87" (approx 144 mm x 73 mm) in red is by chance?

Mostly what I find is from Karbon Koncepts and they list this exact size. I don't know anything about their reputation, at all. I have considered going to a local vinyl decal shop, have them scan an image of the "Flying K" from the internet, and have decals made to cover the originals. That way I wouldn't have to mess with removing the originals. I would only cover the center and not mess with the chrome surround.
It is an idea and you can custom order your color. :) What ya think?

·
Registered
'14 Sorento SX V6 (2WD)
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah, I talked with David from there and he mentioned just like you have. The catch is the additional cost and the color match option, but yeah I think that's a good idea.

Again, the "initial" hope was a good KIA emblem with red but no luck so far so I headed down the K route from Karbon Koncepts thus far. Good thoughts.

I do like the red I created though....it's a nice match ;)

·
Registered
2015 Sorento SX
129 Posts
I got mine changed and love it. The ones I got were a couple mm to small, I didn't do my home work and measured, just assumed they would be a perfect match, but non the less, I still put them on and honestly you can't tell the couple mm space unless you knew it was there, it still looks great.

Attachments

·
Registered
'15 SX, '19 Stinger GT2 AWD
1,107 Posts
I have some carbon effect vinyl, I cut an oval to fit inside the chrome edge and it looked good. Unfortunately it was hard to get it to form in the cold, and I was too lazy to grab a heat gun, but I know it can be done. I've got some shiny aluminum tape and plan to cut out the flying K. If that doesn't cut it, I might 3d print the K and paint it chrome.

Do the regular 'Sorento' and model ('SX') badges just pop off, held on with double-sided tape? I looked for de-badge but didn't find anything..

·
Registered
'14 Sorento SX V6 (2WD)
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
They are not held on by just tape. I'll pull the info I have if I can find it quickly. The back hatch is a beast if you want to do it right.

Front - This is more than just the emblem but you can easily see the steps for that part of the process.

Rear - Spacedoggs excellent post!

...if there was another Front posting from the forum I missed linking to I will happy fix this post.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey Wahoobie, I referenced "Karbon Koncepts" in an earlier post but have since found out that many people have been ripped off by them, so I would not consider them as a source. Sorry that I didn't check them out before I told you about them. You can search this forum for them and read the horror stories.

As for "Loden", they have some good looking badges that negate removing the original badges, but then I found some badges that confirm that they support the atheist movement and so they are out of the equation, at least for me. You may be different, but I pray not. The Bible said it, I believe it, and that settles it!

Anyway, just a heads up. :)

·
Registered
'14 Sorento SX V6 (2WD)
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No problem Mad Hamster, I was just looking for options. I really want to find a source for a proper fitting KIA lettered emblem so I can color match. Anyhow, I did manage to get my v1 installed. It's not bad but it really needs to be a better fit and I need to see how the color holds up. It's got a UV resistant topcoat but we'll see. If only I had a 3D printer ;)

·
Registered
'15 SX, '19 Stinger GT2 AWD
1,107 Posts
They are not held on by just tape. I'll pull the info I have if I can find it quickly. The back hatch is a beast if you want to do it right.

Front - This is more than just the emblem but you can easily see the steps for that part of the process.

Rear - Spacedoggs excellent post!

...if there was another Front posting from the forum I missed linking to I will happy fix this post.
Sorry - not the big badge, the "Sorento" and model ("SX") letters only. I'm thinking that instead of pulling them off, I might paint them matt black..

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sorry - not the big badge, the "Sorento" and model ("SX") letters only. I'm thinking that instead of pulling them off, I might paint them matt black..
They are attached by double sided tape. Remove with fishing line (used as a saw) or, I normally use a rigid plastic spatula. Neither will harm the paint. :) You will have to battle the residue tape left behind but that can be removed with "Goof-Off" or WD40. They won't harm paint either.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX Regency Red, 2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2011 Toyota Hiace
573 Posts
No problem Mad Hamster, I was just looking for options. I really want to find a source for a proper fitting KIA lettered emblem so I can color match. Anyhow, I did manage to get my v1 installed. It's not bad but it really needs to be a better fit and I need to see how the color holds up. It's got a UV resistant topcoat but we'll see. If only I had a 3D printer ;)

Nice job!

I envy your Sorento looking all shiny and clean ::crying::

It's like its been ages since mine looked like that.
Eff winter.

·
Registered
147 Posts

That really looks good Wahoobie. I like the contrast against the grill. Don't think I could do mine this way as my Sorento is white and I don't think it would look good against the black grill.
Where, exactly, did you find the emblems for the Sorento, I have trouble finding the exact size. As per my earlier posts on this matter, I can't deal with certain vendors.
GOOD JOB! :)

·
Registered
'14 Sorento SX V6 (2WD)
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That really looks good Wahoobie. I like the contrast against the grill. Don't think I could do mine this way as my Sorento is white and I don't think it would look good against the black grill.
Where, exactly, did you find the emblems for the Sorento, I have trouble finding the exact size. As per my earlier posts on this matter, I can't deal with certain vendors.
GOOD JOB! :)
What about a gloss white emblem then a black fill for your rig? I have a beat up spare emblem I could try that with it if you think that might be something you'd want to see for consideration. We're headed out of town soon until late next week but I can have it for next weekend no doubt. Interested or pass?

My original emblems came from K5 Optima Store - Kia 3.0 K Logo Emblems
It's the size Large - 5.69" x 2.87" and it's not a 100% the right size either....just a hair small all the way around but it does fit reasonably well. If I bought another one I could do the back and a few mm off back there wouldn't be obvious at all. Despite the website text they ONLY offer this size in the black. I got these on a holiday deal with a discount and free shipping so that made it a little easier to try out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts