Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a 2000 Sportage, and the indicator on the 4x4 lever is missing. Which way is 4x4 low and which is 4x4 high? Which mode is best for driving in the snow?

I'm a widow and up till now my husband always drove, so this whole driving-in-the snow thing is new to me. Got my Kia last spring and this most recent storm is my first snow experience. Any good tips on using the 4x4 is appreciated.

Just FYI I did have to have the automatic hubs replaced, and thanks to this forum I was able to tell the mechanic to use manual hubs, and it seems to be working well. So THANKS! :)

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX 4x4 A/T, 2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain
184 Posts
There should be a 4WD label behind the driver's side sun visor that will explain when 4 hi and 4 low should be used along with how to engage them.

The entire shift pattern of the 4x4 lever (2wd -> 4hi -> 4low) goes in a J shape. The lever is fairly stiff so you have to "shift with authority":

2wd -> 4wd HI: When stopped or moving less than 50 mph - Shift the 4x4 lever all the way back toward the rear of the car. Your 4x4 indicator should now light up on the dash.

4wd HI -> 4wd LOW: When stopped AND transmission in Park or Neutral - From 4wd HI, shift 4x4 lever as far as it will go to the right and then all the way forward (it should go farther forward than it does in 2wd). Then shift transmission back into Drive.

Just an FYI to remember with manual hubs (I have them also) - they have to be locked in addition to shifting the 4x4 lever to fully engage 4wd. If I think I might run into bad road conditions, I go ahead and lock my hubs before I leave so I can go into 4wd with just the 4x4 lever.

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There should be a 4WD label behind the driver's side sun visor that will explain when 4 hi and 4 low should be used along with how to engage them.

The entire shift pattern of the 4x4 lever (2wd -> 4hi -> 4low) goes in a J shape. The lever is fairly stiff so you have to "shift with authority":

2wd -> 4wd HI: When stopped or moving less than 50 mph - Shift the 4x4 lever all the way back toward the rear of the car. Your 4x4 indicator should now light up on the dash.

4wd HI -> 4wd LOW: When stopped AND transmission in Park or Neutral - From 4wd HI, shift 4x4 lever as far as it will go to the right and then all the way forward (it should go farther forward than it does in 2wd). Then shift transmission back into Drive.

Just an FYI to remember with manual hubs (I have them also) - they have to be locked in addition to shifting the 4x4 lever to fully engage 4wd. If I think I might run into bad road conditions, I go ahead and lock my hubs before I leave so I can go into 4wd with just the 4x4 lever.
Thanks so very much!!!
From what I've read four wheel high is best for snow. And yes, that dang thing is stiff to shift I have to use two hands. This helps a lot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts