Kia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Details
2012 Kia Soul 1.6L 4 cylinder 5 speed automatic transmission Horsepower 138.0 @ 6300
68,750 miles

Problem
As usual, I go on a business trip and the family has a car issue. Apparently, the 2012 Soul started up fine but started running rough and threw a check engine light. It was quickly brought back home with less than 2 miles after the code was shown. I pulled my code tester and found it to be only a P0335 code. A quick check seemed to point to a simple fix by replacing the Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor (part number 39180-2B000 found here for $20 https://amzn.to/3ytqH8i and see the install video at the bottom of this post)

Changed this part in short order. Car started with no engine light. That's good, right? Shifted into D and proceeded for a short test drive. I found that the car was fine at 10 mph but as soon as I hit the gas, the car was unresponsive and began to misfire and almost stall out. Of course the engine light came back on. I fortunately was less than 0.5 miles from home so I got home and checked the codes. I now was seeing a P0336 code and the P035 code.

Question + asking for possible solutions/help/direction
I thought that the Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor would solve the problem. clearly I was wrong. I am unsure what to do next. Some quick thoughts after playing Google car tech:
(1) Reluctor Ring (I have no idea what this is)
(2) Timing Belt (seems unlikely at 68,750 miles)
(3) ??? Help please

Any ideas and potential cost/time to do the job (or have it done) would be most appreciative. Thanks in advance.

Here's the install video:

install video here
).

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX, AT
79 Posts
Trying to keep it light, we just do the best we can.
My first Soul was a 2013, with almost NO problems, so I didn't get a lot of experience with the 2012's.

A simple phone call to a (your) KIA Dealer, might just find an answer to your problem. In my own experience, when I had a question, Phone Support has been free. They even emailed me schematics, exploded parts views, etc.

There is a KIA trained service tech, that helps people with problems, and he is on a KIA Soul Forum, but NOT THIS Forum.
The Other one!

Wishing you all the best,
:cool:

·
Administrator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,406 Posts
There is a KIA trained service tech, that helps people with problems, and he is on a KIA Soul Forum, but NOT THIS Forum.
A few years ago we also had a Kia Tech active on this forum, but he left after being the target of abuse by a few miscreants here.

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX, AT
79 Posts
The other forum also has it's share of 'miscreants'....and that's why I'm not there.
But the KIA tech there has really been helpful to many of the members, myself included.
Thank you, ron1004

·
Administrator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,406 Posts
The other forum also has it's share of 'miscreants'....and that's why I'm not there.
But the KIA tech there has really been helpful to many of the members, myself included.
Thank you, ron1004
Could we invite him here?

·
Registered
2018 Soul!
53 Posts
Thank you, ron1004
Yes, I was on that forum for 1 post. Was bombarded with idiocy in the replies. I found this one and never looked back.

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX, AT
79 Posts
I've been working one forum or another for decades, both car and computer. I was even a moderator on the old Windows 8.0 forum, some years ago. With lots of engineering experience in both mechanics and electronics, the forums are just something to fill the hours for this 78 yr old. I very seldom run a service call anymore, but, if and when I can actually help someone, on the internet, all the better. I'll even post pictures where it seems like it's necessary to answer a question.

I also like to keep it Light Hearted, and I do joke around, but the problem happens when someone will take me too seriously and take a joke too seriously. I seriously apologize, in advance, if that happens here.

I'll email the KIA Tech that I know, and see if he would consider logging in here.

Cheers Mates!

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX, AT
79 Posts
Follow up:
I did invite a KIA Tech that I know, to join us here, but.....he responded that he's just too busy now, to take on a new forum.
I know exactly where he's coming from.

Cheers Mate!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts