Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello,
I have a 2009 Kia Borrego. At first it would idle rough, and seem like it would want to stall. So we threw it on the code reader.

-At first we had a the codes p0016 and p0018 - so we changed the cam shaft sensors. And, then we changed the spark plugs. Then we changed the ignition coils because it was giving codes misfire in one and three.

After all that now we are getting code p0026 - P0026 KIA - Intake Valve Control Solenoid Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1.
Which now when you put it in drive it's like the car wants to stall out.

Any ideas -- any at all?

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Hello,
I have a 2009 Kia Borrego. At first it would idle rough, and seem like it would want to stall. So we threw it on the code reader.

-At first we had a the codes p0016 and p0018 - so we changed the cam shaft sensors. And, then we changed the spark plugs. Then we changed the ignition coils because it was giving codes misfire in one and three.

After all that now we are getting code p0026 - P0026 KIA - Intake Valve Control Solenoid Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1.
Which now when you put it in drive it's like the car wants to stall out.

Any ideas -- any at all?
Most often a sensor code does not mean that the particular sensor has failed, but more likely that its signal is out of sync, such as a fouled variable valve timing (VVT) solenoid will cause a cam sensor code.

What is the mileage, the service history, when last was the oil and oil filter changed, what brand of oil filter used?

It could be sludge has fouled the cam solenoids.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The mileage is 73k

I got the oil changed and serviced at Walmart a few weeks ago, so i'm not sure of the type oil and filter they used when that happened.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
The mileage is 73k

I got the oil changed and serviced at Walmart a few weeks ago, so i'm not sure of the type oil and filter they used when that happened.
It would be in your own interest to know what oil is used and the filter - it is common knowledge that some brands of filters are not compatible with certain Kia models.

What's the service history?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's been serviced when needed - such as oil changed. It's been the garage when inspected - nothing was noticed. It never had any problems other than this. So, I'm not exactly sure what has caused this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the oil has been changed every 3-4k miles like suggested. We just started recently taking it to Walmart the last two times I needed the oil changed.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
the oil has been changed every 3-4k miles like suggested. We just started recently taking it to Walmart the last two times I needed the oil changed.
Walmart and quick-lube places are notorious for errors when doing things as crucial as a oil change with filter, and with modern cars now using the engine oil for dual purpose, lubrication of bearings etc., and as hydraulic fluid for the variable valve timing actuators, it has become more critical to use the correct oil and filters, at the correct interval.

Seeing as the error codes point to valve timing issues, I'd start by getting the oil and filter replaced with the correct grade and type, and check for sludge when doing this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Timing - please read. Please

How do you time a 2008 Kia Borrego 3.8 V6?!

And do you need any special tools.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Borrego Timing

How do you align the timing marks on a 2009 Kia Borrego EX 3.8 V6?

I want to put new chains, tensioners, chain guides on - was throwing codes P0026 - misfires. Put new plugs, new coil packs. So pulled valve covers off and seen passengers side chain was loose. Did read thread that Kia had trouble with their tensioners. Also, my cam sprockets have 2 lines and one dot, each sprocket do not recall any marks on chain.

any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
How do you align the timing marks on a 2009 Kia Borrego EX 3.8 V6?

I want to put new chains, tensioners, chain guides on - was throwing codes P0026 - misfires. Put new plugs, new coil packs. So pulled valve covers off and seen passengers side chain was loose. Did read thread that Kia had trouble with their tensioners. Also, my cam sprockets have 2 lines and one dot, each sprocket do not recall any marks on chain.

any help would be appreciated.
Your @woodworker account will be closed, and if you continue to cross post and use alternate ID's , the @Traciekay22 will also be banned.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts