Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Page 3-86 of the owner's manual suggests that the owner of a Sorento be sure to remove the antenna before washing the car in an automatic car wash or it may be damaged. I was puzzled by this cautionay note, especially, since my Toyota Tundra has a very similar antenna and I wash it occasionally in an automatic car wash without ill effects. (As a matter of fact, I have never removed the antenna of any car before putting it in an automatic car wash) Has anybody washed their Sorento in an automatic car wash? with what effects?

I then tried to remove the antenna as shown in the picture on page 3-86. Since I have arthritis in my hands, I couldn;t budge it. I was reluctant to put a wrench to the black antenna, lest I break something (I tend to be clumsy). Then I thouht that may be they meant for me t to remove the chrome holding nut. I truned it with a wrench , but it felt as if you have to hold it from underneath to loosen the top. So I gave up and thougtht that I would consult this gruop, which seems to have some mechanically gifted people on it, as well as some old hands with lots of experience with the car. If anybody has had any advice on this minor issue. please let me know.

TIA ManuelH from Penetang, Ontario, Canada

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6
198 Posts
if you really want to remove it just put some black electrical tape around it first this will not damage the black painted surface. You don't have to touch the chrome ring just follow the manual...I never took mine through an automatic car wash but I can't see that breaking the antenna off?? I can see if it was a power antenna...but it's not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for both comments.

I took the antenna off and it is less tedious than I thought. A 7 mm wrench fits perfectly. Thanks for the suggestion, lxedition, and for helping me overcome my reluctance to force things on a beautiful brand new car. I am amaxed that you never took yours throuogh an automatic car wash, What do you do in winter?, N.B. gets pretty cold in the winter and I wouldn't hand wash my car then.

I hope I get more posts from people who have used an automatic car wash with the Sorento without ill effects. Then I may start living dangerously and not take the antenna off, in spite of the fact that Kia has disclaimed responibility if the antenna breks. Meantime I have put a seven mm wrench in the car, and, as a good fromer German, for the time being I will follow the rules set down by Kia.

ManuelH

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6
198 Posts
Sure does get freakin' cold here in NB...I tend to bring it in my father-in laws garage and clean it up there by hand and leave it set to dry over night....it's heated and he has a drain built in the floor....

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
Originally posted by lxedition@Jun 22 2005, 05:02 PM
it's heated and he has a drain built in the floor....
Nice! :thumbsup:
I had a job once where we had a heated garage. I washed my truck everyday. I miss that garage in the winter now. :(

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sounds like you guys have a different fitting to the UK. Here we have automatic aerials fitted. They extend when the radio is switched on and retract when switched off.

I remember a post about oil coolers not being fitted but they are in the UK (at least on my XS)

I wonder how many other regional differences there are?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lxedition made a good point when he advised me not to touch the chrome nut at the botom of the antenna. I had turned it a bit before I posted my query. Last night I found that I had no AM and only weak FM radio. Today, while I had my faulty clock replaced at the dealer's I found out how much this would cost me: about 120 Canadian Dollars (about 97 US dollar) before taxes. (about 45 for the antenna and 75 for labour) Let this be a warning to anyone foolish enough to think of removing the antenna. DON'T TOUCH THE CHROME, TURN THE ANTENA BY PLACING A 7 MM WRENCH ON TH BOTTOM OF THE ATNENNA - YOU MAY EVEN BE ABLE TO TWIST IT BY HAND IF YOU DON'T HAVE ARTHRITIS.

Lesson for me: I will always check with this list before I do anything on the car. May save me a lot ot money.

Best, Manuel

·
Registered
26 Posts
You shouldn't have to remove the antenna if you go to one of those touchless car wash places. I go to Shell all the time and it never affects the antenna. The only drawback with these kind of car washes is it does not get into tight areas: ie. underneath the rear spoiler, license plate, etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
unfortunately, the nearest touchless carwash is 50 or 60 kms (35 miles) away. Loacally we only have the conventional automatic carwashes. so I huess I'll just have to wash the car by hand, ot take off the antenna (expecially in winter)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts