Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On page 3-3 of the owners manual there is a brief decription of the ID key and an assoicated password (a 4-didit number). I had only been told by the dealer that I would need the ID key together with the key number to have a new key cut by Kia; I had been told nothing about any password or about the "limping Home" procedure (manual, page3-4).
When I phoned the dealer, neither the salesman nor the service mangager knew about the password, and I had to quote the manual to make sure that they didn't act as if I was making it up. Then I talked to the parts manager,who said that they all came with a password from Kia and that I should pnone Kia Canada. The pleasant representative there had heard about the password, said that she couldn't remember it, but had to consult some material to look it up. She then gave me a number (she said all the cars had the same password when new), and said that I could have the password changed by the dealer. Even she sounded as if this issue had not been raised much with her.

What have your experiences been with this issue? Did the dealer tell you your password, or offer to change it? I assume that the immobilizer makes the car harder to steal and break up and sell., and I have heard that some insurance companies give a discount if you have an immobilizer - Unfortunately, Stete Farm, my insurer, does not have that policy yet. Should I ask the dealer to change my password? Do you know any more about immobilizers, other than that Kia uses the feature to advertise the car.

TIA for any information, ManuelH from Penetang, ontario, Canada

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
The U.S. versions don't have immobilizers yet (except Amanti), but I know the Canadian ones do. This does make it incredibly difficult to steal the car. In fact, if you're a thief and you don't have the key, you won't drive it away. No hot wiring, no fuel pump bypassing, no chipping the ignition.

The dealer should have asked you for a 4-digit password when you bought the van, and then they should have entered it into the immobilzer. If they didn't, then the factory password is the number on the tag (key code) that came on the key ring. If you don't have that password, the dealer has to contact Kia to get it. If you do, then I would have the dealer change it to whatever 4-digit password you wanted.

Is there a problem, or were you just thumbing through the owners manual?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the comment. No problem, but I am the kind of compulsive who reads the manual when he gets a new vehicle. Ususally you find out about all kinds of things, such as immobilizers and how to get the car going with the key if the immobilizer packs it in. I was told a number other than the key number by Kia Canada. I will probably check this thing out with my dealer, when I next bring the car/truck in.

ManuelH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts