Kia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima EX /w Premium Package
40 Posts
Little over 15k now. I don't remember the exact mileage for each event, but had my car in the dealership at least 6-7 times so far. Issues:

- Shift lock actuator clicking - they greased it the first time, replaced the second time I went in
- Steering wheel leather started peeling off under my left palm - replaced wheel
- Brake pedal switch failed - engine won't start - replaced switch
- Center console lid latch snapped - replaced lid
- Abnormally low city mileage (18-19 mpg) - dealer had the car twice for a week, couldn't find a fix
- Rear panoramic glass roof creaking - dealer had the car twice for a week, claims to have stripped the headliner and retorqued the bolts - still creaks
- Sunroof makes noise with body toque - dealer could not find fix
- Dome lights stopped working - dealer fixed

That's all I remember for now...

·
Registered
2017 sportage sx
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Wow- I understand if it's all a blur.
Thanks for the data but you should seek a KIA shop that gives you real fixes.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima EX Premium
58 Posts
Just short of 11,000 miles so far.

-at around 2k or so, the driver's side heated/ventilated seat stopped working intermittently. Took it into the dealer around 5 times and had the switch replaced twice. They also replaced a wiring harness and cleaned all the contacts. By the end of their attempts I had hit around 5.5k miles. Finally fixed (I guess the wiring harness and clean out worked.)
-also had the shift-lock inhibitor kick in one day (a few times that day) but after the cleaning of the solenoid by the dealer, haven't experienced it since.
-TPMS sensors have kicked in about 3 times total so far, and the first two times I did have low pressure. Filled up tires and light turned off. The final time, I checked and the pressure was normal and the light turned off and did not reappear.
-One day the engine seemed to lack power. Took me jamming the pedal down to get any kind of acceleration. (ECO was not on.) This only happened one day, though, around 3k miles, and it was a strangely warm/humid day. Not sure what the issue was, but hasn't happened since.
-Steering has always seemed, well, "loose". Very twitchy and sensitive when trying to drive in a straight line on the highway. Has kind of a gotten a bit better as the tires have broken in, but still could be better. Have not had the dealer look at that.

-Terry

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima EX /w Premium Package
40 Posts
Wow- I understand if it's all a blur.
Thanks for the data but you should seek a KIA shop that gives you real fixes.
You're right.
On the other hand, I like how they treat me. So I far I haven't paid a penny, not even for the State safety inspections or oil changes (I bring my on synthetic oil and filter). Also, every time my car was in the shop overnight, I got a loaner. Once, my service rep actually came to my place, picked up my car and dropped it off back to me a week later (I was travelling that week).

Actually, apart from the roof noise, they kinda fixed everything. The low mileage issue turned out to be my 5 miles downtown DC commute, combined with Kia's "little" MPG lies... ;)

·
Registered
2017 sportage sx
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well there is value in those perks they're giving you. Hopefully you can get their best Tech working on your car.
Yes short stop/go trips and idling are tallied in the mileage. It does much better if you can drive 200 miles at 70 in one sitting. Most of us can't but I'm seeing regular 25 MPG with my turbo-which I use frequently.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Now at 1600 and all is well. Has anyone isolated the wind noise. Is annoying but not a real big deal. I listen Sat. Radio most of the time. Three fill ups and average mpg is 28 and that is most rural driving.
The car is good looking as well as fast and efficient.
$.02 worth.

·
Registered
2011 Optima LX M/T
106 Posts
At 30k I rotated my tires and noticed uneven wear on the front (I'm running stock pizza wheels and tires that I bought from another forum member.) I took the car in to the dealer for an alignment. Resulted in a markedly better steering feel.

While in, they repaired my traction control light (the car with squiggly tires indicator was intermittently coming on and staying on before.) That was covered under warranty and works correctly now.

Had them do the throttle body service. Car gets noticeably better fuel mileage now. (Improved by 2-3 mpg by the end of the tankful, though the alignment probably contributed to this as well.)

Forgot to ask them to tighten down my hand brake lever, which has been working its way loose over time, resulting in the handle occasionally vibrating up high enough to trip the warning light and sound.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
21 Posts
I have an update.

At about 23,000 miles, My review mirror broke off when adjusting it. Took it to the dealer and they found the plastic mount piece was deformed. They replaced it under warranty.

While I was there for the mirror, I mentioned I noticed an oil build up on the plastic under panels and oil residue on the right of the engine. They checked and found a small oil leak from the oil pan gasket. They removed and resealed the oil pan under warranty to correct the leak.

·
Registered
11 Optima EX 2.4, 04 F-150, Burgman 650, V-Star Midnight Custom
148 Posts
35,000+ and a shock rattle at around 26,000 (replaced under warranty). Nothing else at all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just at 9k and no issues at all. This is my 61st new car and think it is put together as well as any one of them. Well maybe the Audi TT was a little better. My only problem was those nasty chrome wheels that com on the SXL. Had to change those out and now all is well.
One thing that is a pain is the nav screen is just to bright at night. I use a piece of film of the tint shop.
My $.02 worth.

·
Registered
2011 Optima SX, Tech & Premium Touring
570 Posts
i've posted this elsewhere but seems good here too:

While I don't hate my SX, it is at times showing it's age and lower build to cost. This is an early Korean built SX with everything and 42k miles.

- The idle seems to be getting a little more "coarse" at times at fully warmed temp (fairly new within the last couple weeks).
- Panoroof is now making some rattling noise (very annoying) when just tipped up (vs. fully open) and also last week my sunshade got all jacked up but was able to get it working correctly again.
- Rattles and creaks - The rest of the car is sure developing more and more rattles.
- Paint and it's thinness is showing it's age and road wear.
- Road noise, nothing new but at times tiring for sure.
- MPG has never been "as advertised" but not horrible either.

Car is still quick and hauls without issue, but hoping it holds together just fine as I am probably 6-12 months from car purchase window to replace it. Kinda sad as I enjoy the vehicle but this is sure aging fast in the rattle and creaking dept

·
Registered
'11 Optima EX 2.4L GDI Automatic
330 Posts
Mileage: 41000
Condition: Good, no major mechanical issues
Issues to date: Minor all covered under warranty

Ride is still smooth with low wind noise. Car seems very sensitive to alignment issues so I have a lifetime alignment ($169, good for the life of the vehicle) with a local Tires Plus. I have an alignment done about every 2~3 months to make sure everything is tracking.

Bought new tires at 37,000 miles Bridgestone Serenity+ which improved road noise and overall ride comfort for a modest price, $790 for the set.

At 27,500 miles there was a major issue with the steering wheel and stereo unit:

STEREO DISPLAY AND BUTTONS UNDERNEATH FLICKER INTERMITENTLY - has returned
ECO MODE WILL NOT DISENGUAGE, ECO BUTTON HAS NO EFFECT - resolved
STEERING WHEEL AUDIO CONTROLS(LEFT SIDE) DO NOT WORK - resolved
STEERING WHEEL BLUETOOTH/PHONE BUTTONS DO NOT WORK - resolved
AIRBAG LIGHT ON - resolved

I was told the head unit was fixed by replacing a diode, didn't have time to argue and had waited a week for my car already so just nodded. The rest of the issues were resolved by basically replacing all of the button components on the steering wheel and the 'clock spring' that had gone bad. I've not had any air bag lights or issues with the controls since.

Have had regular oil changes and preformed the required maintenance myself (filter changes) without any issues.

So far still happy.

·
Registered
2017 sportage sx
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Most helpful reports from you guys-thanks from the forum.
Keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
'11 Optima EX 2.4L GDI Automatic
330 Posts
Mileage: 42466
Condition: Good, no mechanical, minor cosmetic
Issues: Alignment

I normally wouldn't update this so close to my last post but I had my 45,000 mile checklist done along with my oil change. Due to some slight pull I had them check the alignment and of course it was out again. This will be the 4th alignment to date on the car in 12,000 miles.

Now I have a Lifetime alignment with my garage of choice, good for the life of the vehicle, however I worry that while I wait to each oil change to get it aligned I'm merely chewing through tires and everything else effected by miss alignment.

I've resolved to take my paperwork to the dealership if another alignment is required and get them to perform a sub-frame adjustment to resolve the issue permanently. I've seen in other threads this is the only thing that has resolved the issue satisfactorily. If anyone knows any different or has dealt with this please send me a note or follow up with me somehow.

My car needs some TLC after having the two tiny terrors in the back seat but other than a good cleaning and minor blemishes from commuting the Optima has held up rather well. I'd rather not have to wait for alignment and oil change every garage visit though...

·
Registered
2017 sportage sx
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I've seen in other threads this is the only thing that has resolved the issue satisfactorily. If anyone knows any different or has dealt with this please send me a note or follow up with me somehow.
I had the subframe moved to get more caster angle and complete realignment (including rear specs) before I accepted the car for delivery. I found the pull issue on test drives with my chosen car and worked with the service mgr. who was most helpful dealing with KIA Engineering. At my urging and his request, KIA replaced the Nexens with Michelins which were a great help also. The Nexens suffered from conicity which made the car very susceptible to road crown and caused the darty behavior. Changing to quality tires and more caster angle calmed it. The pull was largely due to f & r camber and toe pointing the wheels left.
Only when done and I tested did I buy the car.
It's not just moving the subframe, it's a coordinated, cumulative effect of tires and front and rear alignment specs which correct the problem. I wrote about it extensively in the sticky 'pull left' thread and others.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts