Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2017 sportage sx
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It think there is value in seeing if Optimas develop a pattern of issues as their miles increase. The individual problem threads we've had are informative but having a central thread makes patterns of failure easier to pinpoint.
So let's hear from owners of '11's and '12's with 30K miles or more traveled. Can be LX, EX, Hybrid or 2.0T. Describe the problems and the approximate mileage they occurred.
Keep it simple-just describe them and note if they reoccurred.
And no long stories about dealer ineptness or mistreatment please. Just 'At X miles this happened, at Y that happened'. Can be anything from a door handle to a wrist pin.
Can be subjective, like 'started squeaking' or 'rattling' or 'feels looser'.
The aim is to see what parts frequently wear or break over time.
I'd start but my '11 is very lightly traveled.

·
Registered
2011 Optima LX, 2010 Soul !
178 Posts
Well, not quite to 30,000, but closing in quickly. Will probably hit it within the next week considering I'm road tripping from Cleveland to Kansas City for my son's wedding.

No problems at all. Oil changed (synthetic blend) and tires rotated every 6000. Got a new Air filter at 20,000, just had the cabin air filter replaced.

2011 LX MT.

·
Registered
2011 Optima SX, Tech & Premium Touring
570 Posts
No real issues with mine 27k miles, a few little rattles but nothing of concern.
NOTHING MECHANICAL or ELECTRICAL - for an early first year model, very pleased!

·
Registered
2017 sportage sx
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I appreciate that a few guys have chimed in. Too little time for pattern recognition.
I think there are plenty more higher mile cars lurking here. I remember reading guys talking about long daily commutes and guys that just love to drive it.
Where are you west coast freeway flying guys??

·
Registered
'11 Optima EX 2.4L GDI Automatic
330 Posts
First 1,500 miles I had some bad left pull, this was corrected with an alignment and tire rotation. Verified this with a second opinion of the alignment with a mechanic I have grown to trust for honest work and fair pricing based on KIA TSB regarding alignment. No charge, warranty covered.

5,000~6,000 miles I had a Tranmission Temperature sensor go bad, this was problematic to diagnosis as the Check Engine light would come on and disappear with no code left behind. Then one visit for the light they happen to catch the code when it occurred. This was the cause of a vicious gear shift symptom that was remedied in full with this fix. No charge, warranty covered.

26,000 miles the car is in the shop for the following:
- abnormal wind noise (dealership says this is most likely my tires aging/wearing)
- Audio Control on steering does not work (diagnosis bad control cluster)
- Phone buttons on steering wheel does not work (diagnosis bad control cluster)
- Head unit on stereo flashes randomly

I'm told I'll have my car back on Tuesday as they ordered the new control clusters. So far no charges, all repairs under warranty. I've had worse car experiences and for the most part the Dealership (Ed Voyles KIA of GA) has been better than average. All rentals covered during warranty repairs no fights or fits and decent communication with me regarding my car. As a first release year model I would say the bumps and bugs have been somewhat average.

Update: 10-17-2012
Car back from Ed Voyles, they found the following:
- Airbag Light = clock spring was bad, no power to steering wheel for airbag deployment: replaced
- Switches on steering wheel do not work: replaced Radio, Bluetooth, and ECO buttons
- Re-centered steering wheel after clock spring replacement

Fuel Usage
As of 11-16-12, Weekly driving of average about 29 mpg, however I can hit about 31 mpg on straight highway trips.

·
Registered
2017 sportage sx
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for a very thorough update. Least it's close to 30K.
I don't know why this thread isn't more supported.
I'm sure there are more higher-mile cars out there and I thought members would want to share this kind of info.

·
Registered
2017 sportage sx
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought this would be most helpful to share info but it seems unpopular. I'm certain there are more high(er) mileage cars out there.

·
Registered
2017 sportage sx
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Almost 400 views but can all be under 30K?? Some guys bought cars in Nov '10.

·
Registered
2011 Optima SX & 2002 Pontiac Firebird Formula
491 Posts
2011 SX - ~46K - Had the left pull issue right out of the box, and was corrected early on. Had the passenger side air bag light on continuously, but it was user error, had my steel toe boot wedged under the passenger seat :)
Had the turbo issue at a litte over 40K, throwing the P2562 code, and was fixed under warranty.

My mileage fluctuates a bit, but with a 90% highway bias, eco off, and AC on, I'm getting 29.x typcially. I tend to drive 80mph or more if traffic allows. Mileage still it seems a tad low to me. Can't even remember the time when I got a 32.x or greater on a tank, it's been a long time. The best I ever saw on a tank was 34.x and think I was using ECO at the time.

·
Registered
2011 Optima LX M/T
106 Posts
I'm at ~27k miles. 2011 LX M/T

- Recently replaced the engine air filter and cabin air filter. The cabin air filter was stuffed with leaves and really needed it
- Hand brake lever seems to be getting looser over time. More and more frequently it seems to vibrate up just far enough to light the brake warning light and ring the bell
- The soft "elbow pad" on the driver's door armrest has gotten noticeably thinner and not so soft anymore. My elbow rests on it pretty much 100% of the time I'm in the car.
- The shift boot is cracked and worn, with loss of the outer layer of material along a couple places. This is mostly my fault as I tend to fidget with it at stop lights, and I've spilled a drink or two on it.
- I've had the traction control light turn on randomly almost since I've owned the car. I always assumed I'd just driven over a slippery patch or something, but over time I realized that wasn't the case. I keep meaning to see a dealer about it but haven't gotten to it yet.
- Wife backed the mini-van into the left rear fender, leaving scratches and minor dents

Most of this stuff is "user error." The car has been trouble-free aside from that.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
21 Posts
2012 LX AT @ 12,500 miles.
Had a strange humming sound coming from the rear of the vehicle. Not very loud, but noticeable when everything was off and the engine at idle. Took it in and they diagnosed it as a noisy/faulty fuel pump. They didn't have the part in stock, so I will have to go back to get it fixed next week.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts