Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 1.6 CRDI bought new in march 2012 i cant get it to show more than 489 miles although i can get over 600
What does yours show after a fill up? and i mean brimed.
Paul.
btw the fact every time i fill up then the average fuel meter goes to zero really annoys me.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The dash display figures are only an estimate, I just ignore them. Ours probably shows about 500 when brimmed but it depends how you have been using/driving the car before you fill up.

All cars I have had have been the same. BMW, gained 75 of fuel between home and Leeds last week yet its about 75 miles.

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
Yes, it's only an estimate, and a rough one at that. -Depends on your current consumption when you fill up. BTW, some manufacturers define "empty" as when there is about 5 litres remaining; they really don't want you to run out.

Only safe way is to fill up from various "low" levels on the gauge to calibrate it yourself.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I know its only a very very rough estimate.
The one in my Fiesta ST was great as it was accurate.
just this one is so off the mark i laugh when i use it. The MPG average on the other hand seems to run pretty true
I just wondered what other people are getting their MTE to show.
Thanks for reply's
Paul.

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
Its like the previous posters have said, its an estimate at best and varies with use prior to filling. Approximate examples would b drive round town all week and fill up, gauge will indicate 430 miles left, drive out of town and gauge will indicate 500 miles left. However, drive 430 miles to Scotland on holiday on a full tank and the gauge will still indicate 170 miles left when we arrive.

Best advice is to ignore it, fill up when the gauge needle says so.

·
Registered
RIP :( 2010 Pro_Cee'd - Infra Red 2
863 Posts
I'd be well happy to get 600 from a tank!
My petrol pro_ usually says 435 to empty when brimmed, usually average 410-430, so it's not far out.

·
Registered
Cee'd VR-7
391 Posts
I've often wondered why the manuals on all cars (makes) I've had since catalytic converters were first introduced say running out of fuel can damage the converter. How? :confused:

·
Registered
09 Pro-Ceed 1.4 ZR7
346 Posts
My car, 1.4 109hp usually shows around 450 miles when i brim the tank but i know i can get 500 miles on that. The most ive ever got is 515 miles to a tank and then i put in 56.00L to brim fill it again.

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
Oh I know its only a very very rough estimate.
You have to bear in mind how it works. The measurement of fuel in the tank is done by the same float bobbing on top of the fuel that drives the analogue fuel gauge. Once the fuel level goes above a certain point the float can't rise any further.

The instant and average readings come from the ECU which would indicate fuel flow proportional to injector open time. The distance estimate is therefore based on the float level and average.

I just wondered what other people are getting their MTE to show.
Like yours. Does it matter when you have a full tank? After about 140 miles and the float starts to move it turns out to be surprisingly good. In that after filling with 48 litres and taking it down to 33 miles, I then got another 48 litres in.

·
Registered
09 Pro-Ceed 1.4 ZR7
346 Posts
In these times of daily fuel rises I'm glad I run derv.
Unfortunately its not always so clear cut these days. Guys on here with the 1.6 Diesel engine are only getting similar figures to what im getting from my 1.4 petrol. The cost of diesel is more, plus the higher initial cost of buying the car means that diesel is not always best these days. I think you need to do something like 14K miles a year plus to make it a worthwhile option.

It costs me 15p per mile in fuel averaged out over the last 244 days since i got my fuel app on my phone. Rather suprisingly ive uplifted 1109 litres of fuel in that time and covered 9790 miles. And that works out at 6.61 miles per £ :) Average of 41 MPG

You gotta love the Fuel log App! :p

·
Registered
0858 Kia Pro_Cee'd 3 1.6 CRDi, Red
191 Posts
Unfortunately its not always so clear cut these days. Guys on here with the 1.6 Diesel engine are only getting similar figures to what im getting from my 1.4 petrol. The cost of diesel is more, plus the higher initial cost of buying the car means that diesel is not always best these days. I think you need to do something like 14K miles a year plus to make it a worthwhile option.

It costs me 15p per mile in fuel averaged out over the last 244 days since i got my fuel app on my phone. Rather suprisingly ive uplifted 1109 litres of fuel in that time and covered 9790 miles. And that works out at 6.61 miles per £ :) Average of 41 MPG

You gotta love the Fuel log App! :p
I'm getting over 50mpg out of my 1.6 Diesel without event trying (when I try I can see over 60mpg), which is 25% less fuel than your 41mpg figure, to say nothing about the cheaper road tax and superior performance for your money. I see your point in the petrol v diesel debate but I had a budget of £7800 to by my Pro, which is what I would have spent on any car I purchased - its not like I was landed with an unexpected high bill when I bought the car, I think the higher purchase price of diesel cars is more applicable on new list prices, when I was shopping for my Pro equivalent petrol models were only a few hundred cheaper with maybe 5-10k less miles at that price point

I'm no diesel fanboy just defending it for the sake of it - the last 3 diesel cars I've owned before the Pro got me £7000 of debt in repair bills which is why I went for a nice low mileage Kia with plenty of warranty left in the first place! I just prefer the way modern diesels drive with the easy torque...

·
Registered
Cee'd VR-7
391 Posts
I guess at the end of the day what the computer says means bugger all. We have to buy the fuel and that is it until we change the car.
The truth is that if you want more mpg on any car then you have to drive and also accelerate slower. You takes your pick! :(

·
Registered
09 Pro-Ceed 1.4 ZR7
346 Posts
Im not doubting the ability to get high MPG from diesels but just a quick search back through old threads shows that some 1.6 Derv owners are struggling to get anywhere near your figure.

When i bought my car new the additional cost for the convenience of not having any spark plugs was almost £2k more! It would have taken a lot of miles to recoup that difference and although do the annual mileage to justify that cost i couldnt afford it at the time.

Is your MPG actual figures or what the onboard says? Mine says im getting 44- 45 when my fuel app says 41 average with a best of 46.

Performance? Hmm. Do you rather mean ease of driving on the road? Diesels just produce their power in a more user friendly way for most drivers, with lots of torque compared to a Petrol equivilent.

Kia quoted figures for 89hp 1.4 says 0-62 in 12.5 sec 1.6 CRDI 89hp 13.5 sec Top speed 1.4 112 mph 1.6CRDI 107 mph

However, the diesel has around 70% more torque and its produced far lower down the rev range so it will feel quicker unless youre in a 10/10th drag race but it does NOT have superior performance.

So if you compare like with like and just look at the 89hp figures for both engines then the petrol beats the diesel in 0-62 and top speed! But.......on the road the diesel will FEEL quicker.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i have checked it brim to brim and am getting ave 55mpg x 12 gal =660miles
not going by on board trip computer.
best was 57mpg

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
So if you compare like with like and just look at the 89hp figures for both engines then the petrol beats the diesel in 0-62 and top speed! But.......on the road the diesel will FEEL quicker.
As you say, the diesel is more user friendly. It doesn't merely "feel" quicker, it is quicker; it's possible to numbers on it.

Your 1.4 does 50-70 in top in about 17-18 seconds. The lp diesel does it in about 11 seconds. The 1.4 needs to drop to 3rd to get below that. But the diesel can then beat that with a drop to 4th. When adding in an incline or headwind, the figures diverge even further.

There's no doubt petrol is better sub 30mph and for someone driving a lot in a big city, it is probably the better option but I prefer the strength to come through in the 30-80 range.

Although we're talking about the lower power engines, I have a 113. The same consideration applies against a 1.6 petrol.

·
Registered
0858 Kia Pro_Cee'd 3 1.6 CRDi, Red
191 Posts
Mine is the 113bhp version too, so the 0-60 time comes down to 11.1 seconds, and the torque 188lb ft, and my calculations are 'brim to brim' - I've found that the distance to empty has rarely shown more than 500 (I usually get 570 to a tank in very mixed driving) but I've found that the average mpg is also pessimistic by 2-3mpg also.

I'd confidently drag race the 1.4 or 1.6 petrol in mine and expect to come out on top.

Maybe not though - I am 38 years old...

·
Registered
09 Pro-Ceed 1.4 ZR7
346 Posts
As you say, the diesel is more user friendly. It doesn't merely "feel" quicker, it is quicker; it's possible to numbers on it.

Your 1.4 does 50-70 in top in about 17-18 seconds. The lp diesel does it in about 11 seconds. The 1.4 needs to drop to 3rd to get below that. But the diesel can then beat that with a drop to 4th. When adding in an incline or headwind, the figures diverge even further.

There's no doubt petrol is better sub 30mph and for someone driving a lot in a big city, it is probably the better option but I prefer the strength to come through in the 30-80 range.

Although we're talking about the lower power engines, I have a 113. The same consideration applies against a 1.6 petrol.
The problem i have with that reply is the use of the word "About" Im using quoted and suposedly actual tested figures from the manufacturer whereas presumably you are picking numbers from thin air? Then by adding in comments like changing gear etc just muddys the waters further.

And a sweeping statement like "There's no doubt petrol is better sub 30mph" ??? so you are saying that in 4th gear a petrol will be better than a diesel in 4th a the same speed? I imagine a diesel will be off and away before the petrol has even thought about accelerating! Theres no doubt that in a top gear roll on test diesel will have the edge on petrol but is that performance or flexibility?

My previous car was a Golf TDI 115hp so i know exatly what you mean about how a diesel feels on the road but if we are talking about "performance" then surely we should stick to actual quoted figures and not "About" and "if"

1 - 20 of 42 Posts