Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious as to how many miles you have on your 2003 Optima? Mine is currently sitting at 222, 231 miles. As you can see, I tend to drive it alot. If I could only keep the headlight bulbs from burning out, it would be great. I still get approx. 27 mpg.

·
Registered
332 Posts
My 2004 has 34,000 miles on it.

Your 2003 model has 222,000 miles on it?!?!?!?!?! DAMN!!! Where are you driving to every day? Is your work 500 miles from where you live?

Great to hear that your Kia Optima has that many miles and is still putting out!

- Tum

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not 500 miles, just 192 round-trip. I average about 4,000 miles per month. I wonder if they will give me a new one if I make the 1,000,000 mark? It could happen!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Not 500 miles, just 192 round-trip. I average about 4,000 miles per month. I wonder if they will give me a new one if I make the 1,000,000 mark? It could happen!!
:eek::eek::eek:

Dear god.... I hope that all the wheels don't fall off one day while you are driving it!

- Tum

·
Registered
77 Posts
Is your 03 a 2.4L or 2.7L? Either way, thats a lot of miles. I have a tad over 81,000 on my 2004. I had a 2002 that I traded, that had over 100,000 on it. If taken care of, these cars can go for 300,000 or more miles. Does anyone remember when Kia was not worthy and now its pretty much normal to have high mileage ones out on the road. I have never seen a Kia broke down on the side of the road, I have seen Honda's and Toyota's, along with domestic makes. Take that Honda and Toyota :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wow! I thought I had a long commute at 160 miles a day. I average about 700 - 800 miles a week on my 2005 Spectra 5. I already have 95k on it. I am glad to see that there is a high mileage Kia out there.

My commute is from the Greensboro area to Raleigh, NC. I drive it four days a week. So far, the only maintenance has been the timing belt at 70k and I am now on my third set of tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had to replace the timing belt at 105,000 miles and now with 224,000 miles it is back in the shop again for another go around with the timing belt. Kinda sucks but I cannot complain about getting an average 110, 000 miles out of a timing belt that is rated for 60,000 miles :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have an 04 Optima, with a 2.4L 4 cylinder engine. I purchased it brand new as a leftover 04, as the 05 models were coming in three years ago. Initially, I was going to purchase a Spectra to use as a commuter car, but ended up with the Optima, because the difference in price at that time was just $200 bucks after taxes - no kidding!

Other than the numerous trips to repair city which I'm not happy about, I'm pleased with its comfort and performance. So far, I have 66,860 miles on it and it does about 25 miles per gallon in combined highway/city driving. I'm very envious that your Optima had managed to run over 222k miles, and shows no signs of slowing down. Right now, I'm hoping if my Optima could even make it to 100k miles, or a little over it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I feel very fortunate that it is running as well as it is. I keep track of all the gas that goes into it and mileage. The car averaged 27.1 mpg for 2007 even with over 200k on it. I will post a picture taken last October, once I find it

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had to replace the timing belt at 105,000 miles and now with 224,000 miles it is back in the shop again for another go around with the timing belt. Kinda sucks but I cannot complain about getting an average 110, 000 miles out of a timing belt that is rated for 60,000 miles :)
Damn, it's recommended replacement at 60k isn't it? After 70k, I couldn't chance it so I went ahead and had it changed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just changed my timing belt on my 05 at 90K. It had over half the teeth broken off of it. I was running an a prayer. The only problem I have with my optima is that it has never had better fuel mileage than 23mpg. Heck my 03 dodge diesel crew 4x4 gets 22 on the highway. I just think they could improve on it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I averaged my Optima to about 25 mpg for combined city and highway. Fuel mileage does suck in the city as it does between 22-23 mpg. On the highway, on the other hand, it does fare better to about 27-28 mpg.

I do agree that they have to improve on the Optima's fuel consumption. My Subaru Impreza does 28 mpg, considering that it's all wheel drive, and it's a tad bigger engine (2.5L) than the Optima.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have an 04 2.4L with the 4spd automatic, 80k miles. I have found the highway mileage is pretty sensitive to speed. My commute is 104 miles round trip 5 days a week, almost entirely highway. If I consistently travel around 65-68 I get 29.5 to 31 mpg. If I run 70-75 my milage drops to 27 or less.

I attribute this to the top gear on the 4 speed being too low. The RPM hits 3,000 right around 75. My '85 subie 5spd 1.8 turbo would hit 75 at around 2600 RPM and would run all day at that speed and get 28-29 mpg. Not sure if the final ratio on the Kia 5spd is better than the automatic, but I have idle thoughts of putting a different tranny in. I doubt the gas savings would justify the cost of the swap though :(

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have Magentis 2.0 80 000 km with the 5speed MT.
At 3000 rpm it does 120kph (around 75mph)
it would probably be less it it were 2,4 or 2,7 :eek:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine is a 02 V6, it feels very comfortable while driving and has a decent stereo system (at least for me). It has 85000 on it and still running strong. The only problem I have with it is the low gas mileage. It never gets over 15 in town. I wonder how you guys get 25 or 27 mpg, I truly envy you!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah, my car right now has 73,633 miles on it.

I have the 04 Optima w/ the 2.4L and Automatic Transmission with the Sport Shift option.

The car has been running GREAT up until the Crank sensor decided to start acting up.

I thought it was the fuel pump, but found out it IS the crank sensor. Now I will have to do that this coming payday. (Already posted this info in another thread).

I have taken my car up to 121 mph and absolutely LOVE the sport shift transmission.
It is very quick when it wants to be and now that I have changed the fuel pump, I am getting 27 mpg!

I have NO PROBLEM buying a Kia these days. I also have shown SEVERAL Toyota, Honda and Nissan owners the value of buying a Kia these days.

One of my friends was going to trade in his 01 Honda Accord for a 08 model. To get everything on the Honda, incl leather & Navigation, he was looking at about $29k, and with rebates and stuff, it would have been about $27k.

I showed him the Kia Optima with all the same options (no Nav sys though) and that was at about $22k. Then I showed him where I could get him a double din stereo system with Nav & bluetooth for about $300 and with all the discounts & rebates, he was only looking at $21k.

Not bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You should have replaced the timing belt about 30,000 miles before! Everything runs on that timing belt, if you wait to have it replaced you run the risk of seriously screwing up other parts of your engine.

IF YOU DO NO OTHER SERVICE: REPLACE YOUR TIMING BELT WHEN THE MANUAL SAYS TO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
2003 Optima

Ok, to add my final post of my 2003 Optima as I have transferred it to my son.
2003 Kia Optima, 2.4L, 4 cyclinder. Total miles = 247,214
Average driving = 4,000 miles per month

Replaced the timing belt at 110,000 miles
Replaced the timing belt at 224,000 miles

Car is running superb and is at the present time averaging 29.2 mpg on the highway (where it runs most of the time). I had 10 headlights replaced on the car since I bought it and a new set of tires every year.

I replaced the original brakes on the car at 190,000 miles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
12 Participants
optirunner
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing