Kia Forum banner

MGP issue?

5K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  MikDee 
#1 ·
I have a new Sportage 2.4 Auto AWD. Kia claims: 20 mpg City, 23 Combined, 27 Highway.

Right now I'm getting 17 mpg city. :mad:

That is more than my previous car, a Volkswagen R32 AWD with 250 hp!

Will it improve with more miles on it? Will it improve with premium fuel?

#3 ·
17 MPG isn't too far adrift of advertised. The Sporty isn't known for good fuel figures; fairly heavy car with a small engine.

It won't improve much as the car gets older. I checked our Cerato very carefully during the run-in period and it was something like 32 MPG initially, lifting to 34 MPG after a few thousand miles. (US Gallons, highway conditions). Only believe actual figures at the pump when you're looking at MPG.

#5 ·
You might get a slight improvement with high octane fuel, maybe 1 MPG, but it's not worth the extra cost. Just steer clear of alcohol blends and other winter blends.

There was quite a deal of forum discussion about high octane effect on fuel consumption (higher than mandated octane, that is). I tested it over a distance of 9,000 km, using either 91, 95 or 98 RON fuel. There was no significant difference, but the "best" economy was achieved with 98. The car is tuned for 91, which is our standard unleaded grade.

#6 ·
"Almost all vehicles are designed to perform best with pure gasoline, because that is the fuel the federal government uses to rate mpg in new vehicles :eek:, Lamberty said. The mileage gap is likely to shrink if the government switches to testing mpg with E10, which could prompt automakers to start optimizing engines for ethanol blends, he said."

Will E15 ethanol blend really save drivers money? | Midwest Energy News

#7 ·
Understandably, those connected with the agricultural industry are rather enthusiastic about products that they have to sell. There's politics afoot here; just as the elderly matrons from farming communities are fierce advocates of dairy and woolen products, the corn farmers just love the idea of a new market for their corn. The production and refining of bio-fuels mostly depends on subsidies, and there's pressure from some quarters to make 15% blend mandatory.

There's no doubt that ethanol will work in engines. The V8 racers in Australia are sponsored by ethanol producers and run 85% ethanol.

#10 ·
I agree that the MPG ratings are a little off. I'm currently getting above average now, but its not easy. I accelerate and cruise slower than I used to, and try to keep under 55 if possible. Speeds above 55 will create a lot of wind resistance and start to degrade your fuel economy. I started toggling my A/C button a lot to keep the compressor from working too hard which will improve fuel economy. I'm going above and beyond to see what the very best MPG I can possibly get is. I currently drive 17 miles each way to work and it takes me 45-60 minutes each way. About 2/3 of this commute is city, with a few stretches of 45-55 mph. I also noticed that the dash computer for calculating the MPG is always higher than the real value. Here is my fuelly profile... RyanOC's Sportage (Kia Sportage) | Fuelly

#11 ·
I bought the GForce chip a while back and still haven't gotten around to installing it. Went out to look to see if I could see the IAT sensor in which to connect the chip wires too. Very concealed and doesn't look like the 'typical' IAT integrated into the MAF, as shown in the paperwork. Pic 1-3 are a couple of views from my engine compt, where I think this should be connected to. Only 5 wire exposed plug-in I saw.

Auto part Suspension Suspension part Fuel line

Auto part Pipe Fuel line Exhaust manifold Automotive fuel system

Vehicle Auto part Car Engine Family car

So, has anyone bought and installed the GForce chip? Looking for detailed pics and the 'how to' portion.

Any help in appreciated.

#13 · (Edited)
lots of problems and complaints with regards the GForce chip. If it was that easy why wouldn't all the manufacturers use this?

Ripoff Report | Gforce Performance Chips Complaint Review Irvine, California: 794770

Gforce Performance Chip @ PissedConsumer

came across this comment:

THEIR DISCLAIMER....Our claims of gains of fuel economy and power and performance found throughout this website is based on direct customer feedback and not actual tests.... But yet they have a page with 3 supposed Dyno tests with results. They advertise a 100 % money back guarantee but they don't tell you that you have only 14 day. So in 14 days you have to install it and drive at least 100 miles before you can expect to see any results and make a decision to return it but I've read all over the web that then they charge a 25% restock fee.

I would think on many new vehicles the internal computer system would trying to offset anything this chip is trying to do and cause even more problems - it would not be an item I would ever purchase or even consider.

#14 ·
Thanks for all the great input. When I purchased it, I was getting the usual high teens, low 20s. I am also the person who posted about my A/C leak issue. Since I have been driving around now for 3+ weeks with the windows down and the A/C off, just the outside air blowing in, my MPG meter says I am now averaging 30 mpg. Something there to this?

It is a relatively inexpensive part ($69) so based upon all these posts, I will opt out of installing. Another part to add to my box of shame :) Thanks for all the positive input.

#15 ·
It is a resistor that changes the input signal from the IAT sensor and tricks the ECU into leaning it out a bit. Worst case you run too lean and destroy the engine in a way that won't be covered under warranty. Best case (for you) is that you get lucky and the problems from running too lean don't arise until the next owner of the car is driving it.

#17 · (Edited)
Actually, you're 1/2 right,,, It is a chip that supposedly tricks your IAT into reacting like your engine is cold at all times (Running Rich- As if the choke is always on), But, on fuel injected cars there is no choke, but there is the IAT control that does the same thing as a choke on a carbureted car, it richens the mixture, causing the idle to raise till the engine reaches normal operating temp, defeating the IAT with this chip is not really doing much anyway. It's not worth the trouble to install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.