Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '98 Kia Sportage 4 x 4, 2.0 liter that I just purchased yesterday. The meter fuse (10 Amp) had been replaced by the previous owner with a 20 Amp. That blew while I was driving it home, and when that goes, most of the gauges don't work, and as well as it also affects the transmission. Does anyone out there know where to look to correct this problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would strongly suggest not replacing a fuse with one of a higher amperage. Fuses are installed with the amperage rating for a good reason. If that 10 amp circuit sees more than 10 amps the fuse will blow preventing major problems such as damage to an electrical component. If the fuse continues to blow this indicates that there is something wrong and you need to trace it down and see what the problem is.

Our meter fuse blew and I replaced it with the proper 15 amp fuse (97 Sportage). After that whatever was causing the problem really went wrong, overheating the wire. I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I think that the problem circuit became an open short before the fuse block and started melting other wires around it. Now the whole wiring harness is a mess. This all happened with the proper rated fuse in place.

By putting that 20 amp fuse in a 10 amp rated circuit you have a situation that could be very dangerous (fire under the dash kind of dangerous). You are putting 20 amps across a circuit that is only rated for 10. Not a good idea at all.

As far as where to look for the problem in your vehicle I'd suggest checking under the dash for the wiring bundle and see if there's any sign of melting. If not, you're lucky. The next thing I'd suggest would be to get your hands on the schematics and trace that meter circuit. I think that Axeman suggested checking the ground at the fuse block in another post for another electrical problem. I can't say that's what is happening in your vehicle or our's but a faulty ground could be the problem.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts