Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 CEED 1.4L (M51AZ1 / G4FA)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Kia forum members,

For a couple of months i'm hearing a metallic ratteling sound coming from the engine which can be heard when
  • sitting in the car
  • at rpm 2000-2100 (below or above the sound is not there)
  • in higher gears 3/4/5
  • gently accelerating or driving steady at above rpm (at idle the sound is not there)
  • Under heavier load (A/C on, more passengers, driving uphill)
  • the engine is warm (the first 10 minutes after starting the engine from cold state the sound is not yet there)
I've googled and watched video's and would like to rule out what I can or even solve it before I bring it to my mechanic. I am no car expert but know my way with tools and repairs, once replaced the timing belt on a old toyota starlet. What could it be and what can I check? The sound has been there for a couple of months now, I do not notice a difference in how the engine responds or fuel usage.

VIdeo with sound of ratteling (best example between seconds 7-9)
Sound in video hard to recognize from the enviroment sounds captured by phone.
With heavier load on the car the sound is much louder.

Car specs:
Gasoline / manual transmission
Model CEE D (M51AZ1 / G4FA)
Year: 2010
Kilometers: 173.000

Best Regards,
Joost

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,063 Posts
Any way you could attach a sound recording? At least 15 seconds worth? Open the hood and while standing in front have a friend start the vehicle. Can you hear it in park with the engine running?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any way you could attach a sound recording? At least 15 seconds worth? Open the hood and while standing in front have a friend start the vehicle. Can you hear it in park with the engine running?
The sound is not there in parked position, only when driving. I will capture the sound later today and post it here.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,063 Posts
Possibility of being a transmission issue, not an engine issue.
Good luck with the sound clip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took a drive and reproduced the situation, it was difficult because it seems the sound is only clearly present when the car is under heavier load (A/C on, more passengers, higher gears). I've updated my opening message with this information and link to a video.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Best I can tell is you need a valve train adjustment. If you don't want to go there, try a higher viscosity oil. Say a 20w 50 full synthetic, high mileage oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the advice Lou. I've adjusted valves before on a much simpeler car but i think i'll let my mechanic look at this one.
Am I interpreting you correctly that you think this is not something that needs urgent attention? About the oil, I am using a full synthetic 5W30 MS C3 oil.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The noise does not sound like anything is about to fail. How many miles do you have on her again?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Try the heavier weight oil. Full synthetic. Can't hurt, only help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts