Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so one thing I really wished my Sportage came with is the metallic paint job. I havent looked at a SX's paint job to see if it comes in the higher model or not. It's not a huge deal but I wanted to know if anyone knew how much it would cost/ or if you can add it to a standard paint job. Sorry for the stupid post but I've been curious and I get pretty unbiased options on here. Thanks

(what the hell is this kid talking about?) Link here

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
Not sure what your definition of metallic is, but the Black Cherry color fits in that category in my opinion, with it's red metallic flake.

As far as how much it will cost? Too much. It will vary from place to place but a good "normal" paint job isn't cheap, you start throwing metallic flake in the mix and consider that they will have to do all the door jambs, engine bay, it gets real expensive real fast. A thousand bucks or more for a good paint job isn't out of the question.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
364 Posts
There are 3 major kinds of "sparkly" paints:

Metallic: A base coat color.

Pearl: Mid coat, or in the clear coat.

Candy: Heavy metallic base coat and special mid coat.

Now, most cars are simply metallic based with a clear coat on top. Some of our cars, KIA, are pearl colors. If you wanted it very badly, you can have a body/paint shop re-clear your car with a light pearl coat to give it a "sparkle or pop" with out to much work involved. You would not have to jam the car or go under the hood, as it wont be that serious if you stay with a like color. As in, if your car is white, have them do a blue, or gold, or whatever pearl clear coat over your existing color, it would be silly to waste extra money and time doing the door jams and such, if its not a show car where all details will matter.

Even for that though, $1,000 is a fairly cheap estimate. Your looking closer to double or triple that, depending on the shop quality and brand of materials used.

Ive painted whole cars myself with metallic paint and or pearl clear coats for less thatn 1k. But thats doing all the work myself and using average materials.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses and dropping some knowledge on a thick skull like myself.

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
593 Posts
No such thing as stupid questions . . . only stupid answers!

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
No such thing as stupid questions . . . only stupid answers!
Well I wouldn't go that far.........people ask some stupid questions, most of which can be answered with Google (or at least researched).

This question wasn't one of those instances though. :cool:

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like I'll just have to pretend my paint has small metal flakes.
Thanks fellas, until the next time.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
You could look into getting a vinyl wrap. A good one won't cost much at all and when you get sick of it or it wears down you just peel it off to reveal your factory paint.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not a bad idea, and stupid I didn't think of this before because I used to create graphics for a boat wrapping company. :huh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts