Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2012 kia sportage SX.
When it first starts up especially, it sounds a bit "tinny" like its idle has something hitting something metal?
Im not too alarmed by it, it seems like once the vehicle warms up, the tin sound mostly goes away. It does not seem to alarming.
But im wondering if this is something to worry about?
Or maybe its just something u can sometimes hear from a turbo? I have no idea.
Its always happened ever sense the vehicle was new.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX FWD
354 Posts
I have the 2012 kia sportage SX.
When it first starts up especially, it sounds a bit "tinny" like its idle has something hitting something metal?
Im not too alarmed by it, it seems like once the vehicle warms up, the tin sound mostly goes away. It does not seem to alarming.
But im wondering if this is something to worry about?
Or maybe its just something u can sometimes hear from a turbo? I have no idea.
Its always happened ever sense the vehicle was new.
this has been discussed before, but i think on the 4G optima section.

The metal-on-metal rattle we all hear upon starting our cold SX's is the wastegate rattling because it is cold and the tolerances are loose. The wastegate stays open during the startup and the revs get higher than normal because the ECU is performing a fast warmup of the catalytic converter, in order to reduce NOx and other pollutants. It also helps the turbo get warmed up faster, while not over stressing engine during startup. Once everything gets warmed up the wastegate actuator moves it into the working-open position and the plate itself, which has had hot exhaust fresh out of the engine playing over it, is nice and hot and expanded completely, so the tolerances are tighter and it stops rattling.

It is a brilliant feature that probably does a lot to prepare the engine to drive and reduce emissions, but i think everyone can agree that it is not something they cherish in their SX's. It is somewhat embarrassing when you cold start around people and they wonder what is about to fall off your car or if the exhaust has a bad leak, or if your top end is fucked, etc...

At least it's not as bad sounding INSIDE the vehicle.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
144 Posts
Go look up the TSB (I think it's something ...104) on this board and have the dealer take care of it. All accounts are the rattle will go away although I haven't done this yet with my SX. If you don't find the TSB here check out Kia's website
https://www.kiatechinfo.com/Index.asp

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tsb? What's that? Page 104 in the manual?
It's not something to worry about, correct? So why get it fixed? And why is it even something that can be fixed?

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX FWD
354 Posts
Go look up the TSB (I think it's something ...104) on this board and have the dealer take care of it. All accounts are the rattle will go away although I haven't done this yet with my SX. If you don't find the TSB here check out Kia's website
https://www.kiatechinfo.com/Index.asp
The tsb? What's that? Page 104 in the manual?
It's not something to worry about, correct? So why get it fixed? And why is it even something that can be fixed?
TSB = Technical Service Bulletin

Also, it is my understanding (told to me by serviceman) that TSB-104 is for particular models of the SX, and your applicability is determined by your VIN. When i bring my SX into the shop, they scan the barcode vin on the door frame. Then the computer tells them if there are any service actions or tsb's. My service department said that my car did not need this ECU update.

For those of you that have had this done, do you have a 2012 SX? also, did it seem to fix the rattling on cold start up? Did you have to tell your service department to perform it or did they do it on their own? Did you complain about the noise?

Just wondering if my service dept didn't want to do an ECU flash out of pure laziness or because i didn't complain loud enough?

Maybe i have it wrong and i need to go get them to flash this. :confused:

PS: i have attached the pdf of the TSB 104 from the kiatechinfo site (aka KGIS).

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX w/ Premium Package & Nav
194 Posts
Agree with whoever said it is a bit embarrassing ;-p

I thought something was wrong with my SX when I first bought it so I called my local service center and they explained what others above mentioned here. But, thank goodness it's only on the 1st start of the day and only lasts a few seconds before it goes into normal idle.

It, in my opinion, sounds horrible. Especially when I start it in the garage in the morning. Seriously sounds like it's going to blow up or rattle itself apart.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX FWD
354 Posts
another possibility a heat shield rattle.
good thinking. i usually check the tightness of things under the hood when i detail my car or change the oil. last time i checked it was all solid. unless that TSB 104 fix would do something physical to prevent rattle, it's just something to live with.

What i read about the fix is that it adjusts how the wastegate control arm engages during the start up.

Speculation: Perhaps it is left "loose" and in the open position stock, but via the update there is a full open that it can pull the gate back too that holds it against the assembly?

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
TSB = Technical Service Bulletin

Also, it is my understanding (told to me by serviceman) that TSB-104 is for particular models of the SX, and your applicability is determined by your VIN. When i bring my SX into the shop, they scan the barcode vin on the door frame. Then the computer tells them if there are any service actions or tsb's. My service department said that my car did not need this ECU update.

For those of you that have had this done, do you have a 2012 SX? also, did it seem to fix the rattling on cold start up? Did you have to tell your service department to perform it or did they do it on their own? Did you complain about the noise?

Just wondering if my service dept didn't want to do an ECU flash out of pure laziness or because i didn't complain loud enough?

Maybe i have it wrong and i need to go get them to flash this. :confused:

PS: i have attached the pdf of the TSB 104 from the kiatechinfo site (aka KGIS).
TSBs are usually only performed if the owner comes in with that particular concern.

The list the dealer gets when the VIN is entered only shows Service Actions and Campaigns(recalls), which should automatically get done. All available TSBs are not shown.

TSB Eng104 is not a service action or campaign, so it would most likely not be done unless the owner mentioned it.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX FWD
354 Posts
TSBs are usually only performed if the owner comes in with that particular concern.

The list the dealer gets when the VIN is entered only shows Service Actions and Campaigns(recalls), which should automatically get done. All available TSBs are not shown.

TSB Eng104 is not a service action or campaign, so it would most likely not be done unless the owner mentioned it.
excellent! +1

So now all we need is someone to go and ask their serviceman to do this and then come back and report results.

Has anyone already done this?

Dealers and Service people on this forum, have you performed this TSB 104 work? If so, how did it go for the owner?

·
Registered
2011 TechnoOrange Sx, 2008 Toyota Solara SLE, 1946 Chevrolet Fleetline Aerosedan
66 Posts
Service was performed about 8 months ago on my 2011. I took a copy of the TSB with me and gave it to the service tech and said I was experiencing the problem ID'ed in the TSB and the repair was done. Easy fix. Rattle still there and probably not related to the repair, which was for a different sound.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts