Kia Forum banner

Metal shavings in oil

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  191145 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I have sportage 2022 4th generation GDI 2.4, for now it has 3800 mile odometer, this is my second time changing the oil, first time it was only 500 mile and today it has 3800 mile, in both oil changes I notices metal shavings and I wonder if its normal or that is an issue, and if it could stop suddenly because of this issue as I will be travelling about 600 mile in one drive next week (there will be no road service or assistance).
Is it true new engines have such shavings?
How to check the engine?
BTW, the engine consumed about 200-300 ml of oil in this 3300 mile.
Thanks a lot.
Liquid Amber Fluid Tints and shades Fish

This is how it looks

See less See more
#2 ·
Shavings in the oil is not a good sign - there is something seriously wrong and if you have warranty cover get it to the dealership ASAP for the oil consumption and the metal particles.

I change my oil at 5000 miles and it never looks as dark as yours.

#4 ·
You can have them assess the metal particles - if its non-magnetic then it would be from the white metal bearings but either way its a sign that there's some serious damage going on, and if you plan to rebuild it then take it out of service ASAP, but if you're going to replace it then drive it until it dies.

#7 ·
I could've sworn I saw particles like that in one oil change maybe 15,000 miles ago (123k now) but I couldn't confirm if the pan was clean before I dumped my oil. Subsequent oil samples sent for analysis to a lab out here in the US said my samples looked pretty good, especially for a Kia 4-cylinder. I would see how it looks next oil change and ensure the drain pan is clean beforehand. I don't think there's much choice than just hope and see.

#10 ·
Have you made sure particles are metallic using a magnet? If you still have the oil filter from the last change, cut it open and see what is caught in the pleated paper.
I would think some small shavings might be normal for a new engine breaking in. I have rebuilt a few car, motorcycle, and lawn mower engines, and some particles are found in the first couple of oil changes mainly from the piston rings seating. I have not purchased a new car in many years, so I can't say what is normal for the first oil changes.
It may mean nothing at this point.

#11 ·
Have you made sure particles are metallic using a magnet? If you still have the oil filter from the last change, cut it open and see what is caught in the pleated paper.
I would think some small shavings might be normal for a new engine breaking in. I have rebuilt a few car, motorcycle, and lawn mower engines, and some particles are found in the first couple of oil changes mainly from the piston rings seating. I have not purchased a new car in many years, so I can't say what is normal for the first oil changes.
It may mean nothing at this point.
Thanks a lot for your reply, I will check my next time change the oil.
I thought so, that it is because a new car, but no one agreed with me.
best,

#14 ·
8 ounces of oil in 3300 miles is not serious oil use, but I have a feeling it is going to get worse. KIA has had big problems with shavings from manufacturing remaining in the engines. I'm afraid you will need a new engine before too long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.