Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX-L, 99 Camry LE, 93 Turbo MR2
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I was not aware of, and I'm a bit disappointed in, is that the memory seat option does not keep track of where lumbar support is set.

Your side mirrors, and other seat settings are kept, just nut lumbar. BOO.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Something I was not aware of, and I'm a bit disappointed in, is that the memory seat option does not keep track of where lumbar support is set.

Your side mirrors, and other seat settings are kept, just nut lumbar. BOO.
I'm also disappointed considering we bought the EX V6. Our 2003 expedition that we got rid of had memory seat and side mirror settings, reverse tilt down mirrors, power adjusting pedals, radio volume lowering when reverse sensors activated, compass, separate climate control for rear seats, all missing on our 2014 sorento.

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,971 Posts
I'm also disappointed considering we bought the EX V6. Our 2003 expedition that we got rid of had memory seat and side mirror settings, reverse tilt down mirrors, power adjusting pedals, radio volume lowering when reverse sensors activated, compass, separate climate control for rear seats, all missing on our 2014 sorento.
disappointed ???? did you buy it sight unseen or you just didn't notice these things before you bought it.

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
559 Posts
Guess you needed to be at a higher trim level to get some of those features such as memory seats with side mirrors, reverse tilt down mirrors,separate cooling controls for 2nd row seats, compass, radio volume adjusting related to car speed ( though not for when in reverse). My SX Sorento has those and more. Most if not all are listed features when deciding which trim level to buy or can afford to buy.
Found that for a given price point, KIA and Hyundai cars had more features than models of other makers, features such as heated steering wheel, ventilated front row seats, and on board storage for music (Jukebox for LX and My Music for Nav system.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
369 Posts
On board storage for music (Jukebox for LX and My Music for Nav system.
Even if this feature is a kind of joke with less than 1 Go of memory and the impossibilty to copy more than one song at a time with the nav system.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Even if this feature is a kind of joke with less than 1 Go of memory and the impossibilty to copy more than one song at a time with the nav system.
Fully agree and besides with the other options such as use of USB memory stick and Bluetooth audio, hardly needed. I do find it strange that the multi-copy function of Jukebux was not incorporated or why even "jukebox" was not used directly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Guess you needed to be at a higher trim level to get some of those features such as memory seats with side mirrors, reverse tilt down mirrors,separate cooling controls for 2nd row seats, compass, radio volume adjusting related to car speed ( though not for when in reverse). My SX Sorento has those and more. Most if not all are listed features when deciding which trim level to buy or can afford to buy.
Found that for a given price point, KIA and Hyundai cars had more features than models of other makers, features such as heated steering wheel, ventilated front row seats, and on board storage for music (Jukebox for LX and My Music for Nav system.
These options were on an 11 year old suv, should be standard by now, and my 8 year old chrysler has even more including passenger power seat and rain sensing wipers, all this on a mid level trim. On sorento only standard on top of line model, and yes we knew what was included when we bought it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
These options were on an 11 year old suv, should be standard by now, and my 8 year old chrysler has even more including passenger power seat and rain sensing wipers, all this on a mid level trim. On sorento only standard on top of line model, and yes we knew what was included when we bought it.

A 2004 Sienna had rear AND front parking sensors. It also had laser cruise control and several other features that some could consider as should be standard by now.

However, that 2004 Sienna didn't have adjustable steering feel, panoramic sunroof, HAC, and so on... but it too had silly human interface flaws (why on earth close the sunshade when I just want to close the sunroof?).

Features are features and every manufacturer is different.

A fully loaded 2013 Ford Explorer has more features than one knows what to do with. But then again, it costs more.

I just wanted people to be aware that the lumbar setting is not remembered. Its disappointing, but not a deal breaker.

A trim level on the Sorento should have, in my mind, at least laser cruise. But thats my opinion. A 2013 Highlander has many features the Sorento doesn't. But the Sorento has air cooled seats, and that is a big plus for me (among a few other things) that other vehicles in the same price range and size didn't have.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
369 Posts
A 2004 Sienna had rear AND front parking sensors. It also had laser cruise control and several other features that some could consider as should be standard by now.

However, that 2004 Sienna didn't have adjustable steering feel, panoramic sunroof, HAC, and so on... but it too had silly human interface flaws (why on earth close the sunshade when I just want to close the sunroof?).

Features are features and every manufacturer is different.

A fully loaded 2013 Ford Explorer has more features than one knows what to do with. But then again, it costs more.

I just wanted people to be aware that the lumbar setting is not remembered. Its disappointing, but not a deal breaker.

A trim level on the Sorento should have, in my mind, at least laser cruise. But thats my opinion. A 2013 Highlander has many features the Sorento doesn't. But the Sorento has air cooled seats, and that is a big plus for me (among a few other things) that other vehicles in the same price range and size didn't have.
I agree with you. Kia strategically left some features for the next year models.

Actually I was interested by the Highlander.

I had a look to Toyota website for the Highlander and I did not notice any extra features on the higher trim compared to the Sorento SXL.

Could you let me know about what you read ?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I wanted a V6 engine on a mid size CUV. That excluded much of the competition; also was not really interested in GM, Ford or Chrysler.
That left relatively few choices. The only other serious contender was the Toyota Venza and it was not as well equipped as the Sorento. Venza did not have vented front seats, heated back seats, heated steering wheel, on board music storage, roof rails, blind spot assist or reverse detection. Centre consul display was 6.1 inches vs 8 inches.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with you. Kia strategically left some features for the next year models.

Actually I was interested by the Highlander.

I had a look to Toyota website for the Highlander and I did not notice any extra features on the higher trim compared to the Sorento SXL.

Could you let me know about what you read ?
Off the top of my head, it had rear climate controls from the front control deck, DAC and Snow modes. There were a few others, like no seat memory.

I spent some time test driving and comparing the Sorento, Highlander, Rav4, 4Runner, Sante Fe (Turbo & 7 seater) and some I can't even remember anymore. I'm happy with the Sorento. I was hesitant with the new power steering controls pulled from the SanteFe as I didn't like it much on the SanteFe (I still think the 2013 Sorento has much better road feedback and feel than these new all power modes. The 2014 also deleted DAC I think.)

The 2014 Highlander (which will not be out till next year) seems to have addressed a lot of the reasons I went with the Sorento - Toyota was a bit late on that redesign. Comparing the 2014 Sorento SLX to the not yet release 2014 Highlander is a very close call. In hindsight, if the 2014 highlander was out now, I probably would have gone with that.

·
Registered
559 Posts
One surprising thing for me when replaced my 2009 RAV4 with the 2014 SX Sorento was my insurance was 10 to 15 % "cheaper: with the same company, despite the Sorento being worth over 3 times as much. One rating factor for premiums is industry claims stats by vehicle. Apparently the record for the RAV4 is much worse than the Sorento, at least in Ontario. On other hand, guess is that Toyotas generally hold their value at trade in time than KIAs despite recent Toyota recall frequency.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
One surprising thing for me when replaced my 2009 RAV4 with the 2014 SX Sorento was my insurance was 10 to 15 % "cheaper: with the same company, despite the Sorento being worth over 3 times as much. One rating factor for premiums is industry claims stats by vehicle. Apparently the record for the RAV4 is much worse than the Sorento, at least in Ontario. On other hand, guess is that Toyotas generally hold their value at trade in time than KIAs despite recent Toyota recall frequency.
If you have replacement on your insurance, your insurance will most likely go up as the vehicle gets older...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts