Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
2013 Kia Rio 1.6 GDI Hatchback | Tuned
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there it is, time for suspension... 馃檲

Through the long searching and digging process I came to decision that I cant afford coilovers at this stage but as I still need to drop my car and same time get better driving response - I decided to go with performance springs and stock shocks setup.

I saw 3 models for Rio and think that MeganRacing lowering springs will be best option for me now.

So whats the reason of this new discussion you will ask... Well, there is mentioned in the product description that Bumpstop trimming is required.

This confused me a bit. I can handle removing and installing all this stuff by myself but trimming bumpstops is kinda new stuff for me. Anyways, I contacted with manufacturer and same day I got answer.

As things got a little clear, now Im interested if any of you guys have installed this springs on your car and did you trimmed bumpstops or no? If so, could you please provide me with some photo/video regarding scary bumpstop triming...

Also I read on forum that some of Rio owners installed H&R springs and Im wondering does that kit needs bumpstop trimming also?

Its yo boy George, thanks in advance ;)

Registered
2013 Kia Rio Sedan Auto 1.6 Turbo // 2020 Sportage LX FWD
So there it is, time for suspension... 馃檲

Through the long searching and digging process I came to decision that I cant afford coilovers at this stage but as I still need to drop my car and same time get better driving response - I decided to go with performance springs and stock shocks setup.

View attachment 119479

I saw 3 models for Rio and think that MeganRacing lowering springs will be best option for me now.

So whats the reason of this new discussion you will ask... Well, there is mentioned in the product description that Bumpstop trimming is required.

This confused me a bit. I can handle removing and installing all this stuff by myself but trimming bumpstops is kinda new stuff for me. Anyways, I contacted with manufacturer and same day I got answer.

View attachment 119480 View attachment 119481

As things got a little clear, now Im interested if any of you guys have installed this springs on your car and did you trimmed bumpstops or no? If so, could you please provide me with some photo/video regarding scary bumpstop triming...

Also I read on forum that some of Rio owners installed H&R springs and Im wondering does that kit needs bumpstop trimming also?

Its yo boy George, thanks in advance ;)
I went with godspeed coilovers because they was adjustable, and I didn't know what type of drop I wanted. It was like 700, which was close to the price of lowering springs and shocks&struts.

But I am familiar with the process of trimming bump stops. Before you install the new shock or strut, take a razor knife and trim the narrow end of the stop. It should be extremely dense foam, and cut within reason. If this advice doesn't help please post photos of your new shocks &struts

Reactions: TheSoullik

Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
I can't remember exactly, but I think my H+R spring kit came with different bumpstops specific to the springs I ordered.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went with godspeed coilovers because they was adjustable, and I didn't know what type of drop I wanted. It was like 700, which was close to the price of lowering springs and shocks&struts.

But I am familiar with the process of trimming bump stops. Before you install the new shock or strut, take a razor knife and trim the narrow end of the stop. It should be extremely dense foam, and cut within reason. If this advice doesn't help please post photos of your new shocks &struts
That tip will help for sure. Thanks mate.

Tell me one more thing please, what will happen if I will not trim those? Will it be just different/wrong height or will it harm driving response and proper working of part?

Regarding coilovers, I was going to get same as yours, pink godspeeds or rev9 hyper-street one, but the thing is that we have extra 18% tax for import products + transportation price from USA to Georgia 1kg - 7$. Taking all this extra cost it was going too far from my pocket so thats why I decided to go with springs.

At the moment Im in Sudan, business trip from my job. Will be back from 10-15 July. Im gonna order these springs so they could arrive prolly the same time. Also Im gonna back at 17'' rims but wider, maybe 8-9JJ cuz my 16''s+lowering springs combo will extra lower car and it will be kinda problem for daily driving.

Registered
That tip will help for sure. Thanks mate.

Tell me one more thing please, what will happen if I will not trim those? Will it be just different/wrong height or will it harm driving response and proper working of part?

Regarding coilovers, I was going to get same as yours, pink godspeeds or rev9 hyper-street one, but the thing is that we have extra 18% tax for import products + transportation price from USA to Georgia 1kg - 7$. Taking all this extra cost it was going too far from my pocket so thats why I decided to go with springs.

At the moment Im in Sudan, business trip from my job. Will be back from 10-15 July. Im gonna order these springs so they could arrive prolly the same time. Also Im gonna back at 17'' rims but wider, maybe 8-9JJ cuz my 16''s+lowering springs combo will extra lower car and it will be kinda problem for daily driving.
When the bump stop hits (fully compressed) with force you will experience bump steer. It can be dangerous. Trimming the bump stops allows more room for suspension travel.

I don't blame you about not spending that much.

And you can keep the 16's just put more sidewall on the tire to get the height, more sidewall helps with ride quality.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When the bump stop hits (fully compressed) with force you will experience bump steer. It can be dangerous. Trimming the bump stops allows more room for suspension travel.

I don't blame you about not spending that much.

And you can keep the 16's just put more sidewall on the tire to get the height, more sidewall helps with ride quality.
Right, I got it about bumpstops.

Actually I was thinking about getting higher tires but idk man, now I have 205/45 on it, prolly going 205/50 or 195/50 would be an idea... The thing is, 17' rims fit perfect in its fender since originally there were 17's and its kinda designed for it, even with lowering springs those will fit better than 16's with lower profile tires and sporty look 馃榿

Registered
Right, I got it about bumpstops.

Actually I was thinking about getting higher tires but idk man, now I have 205/45 on it, prolly going 205/50 or 195/50 would be an idea... The thing is, 17' rims fit perfect in its fender since originally there were 17's and its kinda designed for it, even with lowering springs those will fit better than 16's with lower profile tires and sporty look 馃榿
Rio had 15,16&17 factory and they all was the same height roughly. The only difference was side wall height. 205/65r15 is pretty much the highest that will fit, but it is really tight and might rub depending on suspension set up.

Generally speaking a shorter tire combo wheel feel faster as it will shorten the effective gearing. As well a lighter tire wheel combo. The least weight you have away from the center hub the better.

The factory 17" alloys are heavy as lead, off little ride comfort, and the thin side wall offers little feedback on hard cornering all in the name of looks.

But that my friend is just my opinion, doesn't make it right. But the factory diameter of the wheel options are 205/45R17 Diameter 616mm ---185/65R15 Diameter 621.5 (taller but thinner)

Just something to think about. 195/60r16 is even taller.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rio had 15,16&17 factory and they all was the same height roughly. The only difference was side wall height. 205/65r15 is pretty much the highest that will fit, but it is really tight and might rub depending on suspension set up.

Generally speaking a shorter tire combo wheel feel faster as it will shorten the effective gearing. As well a lighter tire wheel combo. The least weight you have away from the center hub the better.

The factory 17" alloys are heavy as lead, off little ride comfort, and the thin side wall offers little feedback on hard cornering all in the name of looks.

But that my friend is just my opinion, doesn't make it right. But the factory diameter of the wheel options are 205/45R17 Diameter 616mm ---185/65R15 Diameter 621.5 (taller but thinner)

Just something to think about. 195/60r16 is even taller.
Yeah, a lot of things to be considered.
At the moment Im chasing goal that it should be "street car". Daily drive but same time fast and sporty as possible.
Hope to get more info about what Im gonna do with engine. I'll visit my local tuners and project managers to get some tips and costs about swap I wanted.
Rims and tires will be also changed as I see things and all your given info is well appreciated my friend.
I'll get in touch with you to double check that bumpstop stuff when time comes.
Thanks for tips 馃檹

1 - 8 of 8 Posts