Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
KIA RIO 2003 RX-V
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have another problems with my car, I just lost my radiator fan (HS) So I ride without heating and the needle does not go into the red.
I must soon change pending receipt of a new one.

However, I opened the cap of the oil tank and I had a kind of myonnaise.

The coolant tank does not move and the dipstick does not contain mayonnaise.

Knowing that I live in a country and a city that averaged -10 and now she sleeps outside and right now I do not drive a lot with is that for you it is normal or a sign of a cylinder head gasket?

Thank you in advance,
Sincerely,
----
KIA RIO 2003 108000 km

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,612 Posts
That is typical of an engine that's not reaching full operating temperature.

The radiator fan is only needed in traffic - until you get the new fan, you could avoid it getting hot by switching off the engine when at a stop for more than a couple of seconds.

It's important for the engine to reach it's normal operating temp as quick as possible, and that the job of the thermostat, and to regulate to maintain design operating temp - is it getting to normal operating temperature?

Very short trips in cold climate doesn't help.

There's no need to ride without cabin heating.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,591 Posts
Yes, what Ron said. Leaving the heat on inside the car will help the engine cool down a little bit. Let us know in you are getting heat inside the car.

·
Registered
KIA RIO 2003 RX-V
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is typical of an engine that's not reaching full operating temperature.

The radiator fan is only needed in traffic - until you get the new fan, you could avoid it getting hot by switching off the engine when at a stop for more than a couple of seconds.

It's important for the engine to reach it's normal operating temp as quick as possible, and that the job of the thermostat, and to regulate to maintain design operating temp - is it getting to normal operating temperature?

Very short trips in cold climate doesn't help.

There's no need to ride without cabin heating.
Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

I would make a photo of mayonnaise and gauge earlier and the needle heating.

To me it does not go higher than half see just below.
I've never seen him go over the half.

I have the air conditioner fan no longer works against by and I do not know what fuse feeds one :( any idea?

Yes, what Ron said. Leaving the heat on inside the car will help the engine cool down a little bit. Let us know in you are getting heat inside the car.
seen temperatures outside of time, the heat in the car is not to avoid :)

·
Registered
KIA RIO 2003 RX-V
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

Here 3 photos taken this afternoon:

Temperature gauge (do not exceed or are the arrow):

The oil plug at the bottom with mayonnaise:

Dipstick:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,612 Posts
I don't think it's anything to worry about - it's most likely due to the low ambient temp and short trips.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
However, I opened the cap of the oil tank and I had a kind of myonnaise.

The coolant tank does not move and the dipstick does not contain mayonnaise.

Knowing that I live in a country and a city that averaged -10. Is it normal or a sign of a cylinder head gasket?
Your oil may be contaminated or there may be some sludge build-up. Consider draining and refill with fresh oil. I quite like the description of mayonnaise (oil/water mix).:cool:

In your cold climate, I would not expect much overflow to the coolant tank, if that is what you mean.

Temperature gauge is not calibrated exactly. Most KIAs have "normal" level just below half.

You location? Possibly South America, but fill in your details.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
That is the normal temperature level for EVERY Kia I have ever driven or seen. As for the oil, it appears pretty normal, but you might consider an oil drain and refill, as mentioned. It appears that even without the radiator fan, your cooling system is still operating efficiently.

·
Registered
KIA RIO 2003 RX-V
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi guys,

:) I'm in canada north america.

I'm going to drain Jan. 7 (day or I could also mount the fan) :)

Today I'm going to do a little road, hoping not stay down: (

Bye and thank you :)

·
Registered
KIA RIO 2003 RX-V
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,

So today I did 200 km with and I had no mayo in the cap and nothing to gauge :)

By cons I put a little more liquid COOLING, and I lost (I think too much liquid which gave too much pressure).

So I left it as the return (just below FULL) and it has not budged.

:)

Thank you for your help I will open another topic (not change) to another problem :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts