Kia Forum banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
353 Posts
I've watched nav updates drop in price over the last several years from $199 to $149 to now $25 (though you must order the physical SD card and can't download like you used to for a 2017). Generally good news.
competition from google maps/nav ?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX
6 Posts
This update is only for systems with navigation. The maps are stored on the SD Card which remains in the car. No card = no navigation so there is no USB option.
Do I need to checkout and purchase the SD card in order to get to the download link? I have a 16 SX with nav and looking to update the firmware on the headunit.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6 , 2012 Soul !
679 Posts
Do I need to checkout and purchase the SD card in order to get to the download link? I have a 16 SX with nav and looking to update the firmware on the headunit.
I don't think the download is available. In the past when there was a download both options were listed on the page and you selected card or download.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX+ 3.3L V6 (red)
339 Posts
So just to clarify--am I reading this right that if I have a 2016 SX+ with navigation, I should not wait until July to buy this update?

·
Registered
2016 sorento ex v6 awd wisconsin
19 Posts
So just to clarify--am I reading this right that if I have a 2016 SX+ with navigation, I should not wait until July to buy this update?
From kia mapcare website.
2016 Kia Sorento Map Update 142S4_E

When was this version released?May 13th, 2020

We usually release a new map update twice a year (in March and September) or once a year (in March).

If you performed a map update after the release date above then your map is up-to-date.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX+ 3.3L V6 (red)
339 Posts
From kia mapcare website.
2016 Kia Sorento Map Update 142S4_E

When was this version released?May 13th, 2020

We usually release a new map update twice a year (in March and September) or once a year (in March).

If you performed a map update after the release date above then your map is up-to-date.
I saw that, but I thought I saw earlier in this thread that people were talking about some kind of update in July. Not sure if that's happening, or if it is, if that's only for 2019/2020 models and not my 2016.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX 2.0t
1 Posts
That is incorrect. The 2016-2018 have the same system (Gen 4). 2019-2020 have a different system (Gen 5). Firmware and map is not compatible between the 2.
You are 110% correct in the Generation differences. No debate there.
The method described works to completion for our 2016 Sorento, Canadian model. When debating this with MnSOft their tech rep indicated the map version is what's important and equates across multiple platforms, the part number is internal to them.

This can be easily confirmed if someone hosts their SD provided copy of the 13.41.41 update.

Pages 8, 9 & 10 show downloads completing for a 2018 model which is interesting, given KIA Canada indicated no other model then the 2020 gets a download option.

If you wander around google digging deeper into 13.41.41 you will come across this handy little PDF that indicates 2014-2020 Sorento's are actually the same. Why KIA decided to split this into two different SKU's is likely a marketing/finance driven change. Note the difference between S3, and S4/S5 branded SKU's per the official map website.

Attempt this at your own discretion. You brick it, you fix it!

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6 , 2012 Soul !
679 Posts
You are 110% correct in the Generation differences. No debate there.
The method described works to completion for our 2016 Sorento, Canadian model. When debating this with MnSOft their tech rep indicated the map version is what's important and equates across multiple platforms, the part number is internal to them.

This can be easily confirmed if someone hosts their SD provided copy of the 13.41.41 update.

Pages 8, 9 & 10 show downloads completing for a 2018 model which is interesting, given KIA Canada indicated no other model then the 2020 gets a download option.

If you wander around google digging deeper into 13.41.41 you will come across this handy little PDF that indicates 2014-2020 Sorento's are actually the same. Why KIA decided to split this into two different SKU's is likely a marketing/finance driven change. Note the difference between S3, and S4/S5 branded SKU's per the official map website.

Attempt this at your own discretion. You brick it, you fix it!
View attachment 114918
The maps may be the same but the firmware is not. Depending on which version you upgrade from it is possible the new maps will need an updated navigation app which gets installed through the firmware update.

If you look at the new features manual you will see a smaller listing of models it applies to as it is specific to the version of the nav system. And differences in features added. The installation manual is just a general how to install manual that covers all models with nav.

S3 is the third generation nav, S4 is the fourth generation and S5 is the 5th generation.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento
3 Posts
What would be the benefits of using android auto instead of Google maps and directions?
I mainly use Google and get great directions and have not set the android auto up yet

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX, 2017 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 Ecoboost, 2001 Ford Ranger 4.0, 2000 BMW Z3 2.3
61 Posts
if you like google maps then you will probably like android auto once you get the hang of it. bigger screen and they now have it where you can still use your phone while the map is on the kia screen.

having said that, i like the kia navigation quite well. but, i also have the most updated version and never really used the version that came from the factory, not sure if much changed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not only getting google maps on the screen...I like that I can get my MP3 app PowerAmp to display the song playing on the screen with my album art. Android auto starts right up when I get in and just starts playing my tunes. Very happy with it

·
Registered
Sorento 2016 SX V6 6AT, Civic 2006 LX AT
544 Posts
I wonder how many other people do not buy from them over that nonsense. Maybe they learned that they could be making a lot more money by being reasonable.
I'm one of those - in 2016 the map update cost over $200US and with exchange rate $250 to $275 CAD. at $30 CAD a map update seems a steal. well when it is actually available

121 - 136 of 136 Posts