Kia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX, 2017 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 Ecoboost, 2001 Ford Ranger 4.0, 2000 BMW Z3 2.3
48 Posts
Arrived!

Extremely simple process with clear instructions in the manual.

Vehicle off, take out the old SD Card, insert the new SD Card, turn on vehicle. Follow the prompts. Press a couple of buttons and it tells you it could take 15-20 minutes. I didn't think it would but it did take at least 15 mins. Leave your car on. But really after the first few button presses you just watch it upload files, restart 2-3 times, and then eventually it is done.

Happy to report that the annoying "Contacts failed to download" has gone away. Once install finished and final restart, it happened again one time but after that I turned off the car, restarted it, and no more warning!! Worth the $30 right there.

Android Auto and Car Play are installed. I use AA and it worked great.

Any questions let me know. I was taking video of the process but it is so simple and took so long I stopped.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX, 2017 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 Ecoboost, 2001 Ford Ranger 4.0, 2000 BMW Z3 2.3
48 Posts
It gave me a warning either in the manual or on-screen directions that destinations might get lost.

However, they were not lost in our vehicle. History and saves still there.

Did the update erase previous saved destinations.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
350 Posts
Wonder why it takes a long time ? Is the SD card required to stay in the slot even after the update ?
Maybe it is being copied to faster internal memory and can be removed once that is done ?
I suppose I could go take my original one out and see if things are still working.

Then again the data on the SD card probably arrives encrypted and it is being read and decrypted+re-written, but still personalized to the particular car doing the install.

·
Registered
2019 Sportage EX
2 Posts
I installed mine today. The card needs to stay in the car slot. A big improvement on the address search bar. No more having to type in the whole address. The layout is a little different. I had to find where things were. But overall it was worth the $25. And while the paperwork says it is version 14 and the Map Version NAM 13.41.41 my car says it is NAM 13.41.42.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Arrived!

Extremely simple process with clear instructions in the manual.

Vehicle off, take out the old SD Card, insert the new SD Card, turn on vehicle. Follow the prompts. Press a couple of buttons and it tells you it could take 15-20 minutes. I didn't think it would but it did take at least 15 mins. Leave your car on. But really after the first few button presses you just watch it upload files, restart 2-3 times, and then eventually it is done.

Happy to report that the annoying "Contacts failed to download" has gone away. Once install finished and final restart, it happened again one time but after that I turned off the car, restarted it, and no more warning!! Worth the $30 right there.

Android Auto and Car Play are installed. I use AA and it worked great.

Any questions let me know. I was taking video of the process but it is so simple and took so long I stopped.

View attachment 114575
View attachment 114576

Ditto. Worked the 1st time. I added the AA to my Samsung. Just have to play around with it now.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul
2 Posts
Anyone else noticed they have changed their website and starting on April 27 will now sell the map upgrade along with the Apple Play/Android update for $25USD shipped?

Thanks!
I received the April 2020 update today and applied it. All went well, no errors or hiccups. My gps is now virtually unusable! If I try to set a destination it says cant find starting point". Many other more minor issues also....

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6 , 2012 Soul !
678 Posts
I received the April 2020 update today and applied it. All went well, no errors or hiccups. My gps is now virtually unusable! If I try to set a destination it says cant find starting point". Many other more minor issues also....
Same problem. Also noticed I can't display the map any closer than .25mi or it is blank.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul
2 Posts
Same problem. Also noticed I can't display the map any closer than .25mi or it is blank.
I have that problem also.
No street names on secondary roads.
Maps slow to load after making a turn.
Address book folders went away.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have that problem also.
No street names on secondary roads.
Maps slow to load after making a turn.
Address book folders went away.
I think the secondary road labels only appear at closer zoom levels so pretty sure those 2 things are related. I submitted a ticket through their web site and plan on trying to call tomorrow evening if I don't hear back by then.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,246 Posts
When I get around to this, I may have a very close look at the SD card to see whether or not the firmware is being handled separately from the map database, and whether one can be used without the other. It sounds like the firmware issues aren't worth the heartburn to get new maps otherwise.

·
Registered
678 Posts
When I get around to this, I may have a very close look at the SD card to see whether or not the firmware is being handled separately from the map database, and whether one can be used without the other. It sounds like the firmware issues aren't worth the heartburn to get new maps otherwise.
They are separate but if there is a change to the maps that requires a new navigation app version then you don't really have a choice. It will display a message stating you need to perform an update to use navigation and if you don't, it won't work. This map update requires the firmware uodate. A map update only just requires putting in the new SD card and it is done.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,246 Posts
I'm most concerned about
If I try to set a destination it says cant find starting point.
Sounds as though this does render the GPS system useless. Not much point in loading a new map if you can't do anything with it.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I called this morning and they said they have to escalate the issue to the software team. They asked I send pictures of the screen showing the map being blank at closer zoom levels, a picture of the message saying the starting point can't be found, picture of the system information screen showing software and hardware versions and pictures of the front and back of the SD card. For those having the same issue I suggest you do the same as maybe the more people that report this issue the quicker it will get fixed. This update does pretty much in fact make the navigation system useless. You can send the above photos along with your order number and description of the problem to [email protected]

41 - 60 of 128 Posts