Kia Forum banner

181 - 200 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX+ 3.3L V6 (red)
347 Posts
EDIT: I answered my own question--I had wondered if it was worth updating to this latest version if you've already updated in July. Looks like this latest update is still firmware version SUBM.ST.UM.1025.190416, which is the same firmware as the initial "false alarm" update in July.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento SX
41 Posts
Looks like a new map version (NAM.13.47.44.680.101.5) is now also available on the MapnSoft website. Both download and SD card shipping options are available, at least for 2019-20.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX, 2017 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 Ecoboost, 2001 Ford Ranger 4.0, 2000 BMW Z3 2.3
87 Posts
Version ending in 101.5 must be for the newest vehicles.

I just installed NAM.13.47.44.680.001.3, which I downloaded a few days ago, and double checked the updater just now and it says that is the newest for my vehicle (2016).

Looks like a new map version (NAM.13.47.44.680.101.5) is now also available on the MapnSoft website. Both download and SD card shipping options are available, at least for 2019-20.

·
Registered
Sorento 2016 SX V6 6AT, Civic 2006 LX AT
584 Posts

I just installed NAM.13.47.44.680.001.3, which I downloaded a few days ago, and double checked the updater just now and it says that is the newest for my vehicle (2016).
I completed the download process @rewen specified in Post #172 and using the link from above post.

I inserted the 32GB card in the slot and turned on the engine. Unlike your description adter the pictures you posted I only get the message like "Navigation could not be validated". the original SD card when re-inserted works to give me navigation so am unsure what i did wrong in the download process. Is the VIN necessary as i did not enter that on the website.

Map Ver shown on screen is NAM 08.47.552.003.1
S/W Ver is ST.UM.CAN.ES12.170309
thanks in advance

·
Registered
2020 KIA Sorento SX
2 Posts
I completed the download process @rewen specified in Post #172 and using the link from above post.

I inserted the 32GB card in the slot and turned on the engine. Unlike your description adter the pictures you posted I only get the message like "Navigation could not be validated". the original SD card when re-inserted works to give me navigation so am unsure what i did wrong in the download process. Is the VIN necessary as i did not enter that on the website.

thanks in advance
Be sure at the root of the SD card that there are files, not just a folder. Look at the file structure of your old card to see what I mean. That was my first issue, I just copied the folder with the files to the card and received that same message. Had to delete 2 levels of folders and then copied to the card and it worked.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX, 2017 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 Ecoboost, 2001 Ford Ranger 4.0, 2000 BMW Z3 2.3
87 Posts
i would reuse your old card if it is 32 gb.

as i recall the website said some cards will not work. i just saved the old files from the kia sd card onto my computer in case i ran into problems and then copied over the new files/folders to the kia sd card.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Be sure at the root of the SD card that there are files, not just a folder. Look at the file structure of your old card to see what I mean. That was my first issue, I just copied the folder with the files to the card and received that same message. Had to delete 2 levels of folders and then copied to the card and it worked.
i did a compare of the two SD cards
  1. The original card was 16GB and has 4 folders at the root level and 1 file
  2. The new card is 32GB of which MS-DOS says 22GB have data (to be exact = 22,065,715,455 bytes)
  3. There are also 4 folders at the root level and 2 files.
  4. the added file is called 2016_18_Sorento_CAN.ver
  5. the file that existed on the original has the same name HKMC_Navi.apk
  6. in the original this file was 5,435,628 bytes whereas in the new card it is only 13 bytes (confirming that is 13 bytes not 13MB)
  7. thinking HKMC_Navi.apk might be in another folder i searched for the name as well as just apk and got no results
I figure this means i have to do the download process again as the HKMC_Navi.apk file didnt download properly? I did scan some of hte sub folders and in some cases the files are the same name and size and in others a few extra files. nothing else appears out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,512 Posts
Yes, there is an HKMC_Navi.apk in the root of the downloaded files, and it is only 13 bytes. No, it makes no immediate sense if you were expecting the full app to be within the *.apk, but there you have it. All it contains is the name of the file for the .apk, which is (drum roll) HKMC_Navi.apk <g>

The actual code (the binaries) are buried a bit deeper (see the 'update' folder) where you will find new code for the GPS, the Micom (the display on your head unit) and the serious code in the 'system' folder which contains the low level and system image that will be loaded onto your device.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX
96 Posts

thanks in advance
I got the same thing. I had to go into SETUP and start the update process. Which took at least 30 minutes or so (Keep the car running). After all was said and done everything restarted and it worked fine.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yes, there is an HKMC_Navi.apk in the root of the downloaded files, and it is only 13 bytes. No, it makes no immediate sense if you were expecting the full app to be within the *.apk, but there you have it. All it contains is the name of the file for the .apk, which is (drum roll) HKMC_Navi.apk <g>

The actual code (the binaries) are buried a bit deeper (see the 'update' folder) where you will find new code for the GPS, the Micom (the display on your head unit) and the serious code in the 'system' folder which contains the low level and system image that will be loaded onto your device.
Thank you for the guidance on the folder to look for. there is no folder \update or \update\gps etc. back to the Updater site 🤢

·
Registered
584 Posts
Ugh. Yes, the root of your download should look like this

View attachment 115804
Confirming that this is what the root folder on the SD card looks like. i also checked the update folder on SD card which has 3 zip files, 2 bin files and 2 img files. So things look good there.
as i bought the SD card new I figured it might not be good (it is 10x Kingston Canvas 32GB) i ran chkdsk on it and got "windows has found no problems". i inserted this SD Card into the navigation slot in the car and again got the "Navigation could not be validated" message.

As the download was interrupted multiple times i had to use the button in the updater to re-trigger the download process. It quickly found the spot it had stopped and continued from there. i thought this might be the issue but based on responses above likely not. Am downloading again this time to the hard disc to see if that route changes anything.

Will also use @rhall1690 's method of ignoring the error message and use Setup>>System Info>>Update to see if that works. If not then i will call the Customer Support on Tuesday.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,512 Posts
Your description of the 'update' folder in the root sounds off. Mine looks like this, with content for each subsystem:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Your description of the 'update' folder in the root sounds off. Mine looks like this, with content for each subsystem:

View attachment 115840
You are right i was reading hte contents of the \update\system folder. After confirming i had the files you list above in the update folder i decided to follow @rhall1690 method of using Settings>>System Info>>update (is it a coincidence that the folders are in reverse order ??) and i was pleasantly surprised to see that the update had begun. if i wasnt driving at the time i'd have been dancing in the driver's seat. :p

the update took just under 30 minutes. the birds eye view in the GPS is easier to understand with different colours for side roads versus main roads. i also liked the long press on Pause route to cancel the destination. i found that easier than the prior method.

the screen that displays when playing CDs is different with different sized text to distinguish song name from album and artist name. that is a drawback when the nname of the artist is long. I tried Bluetooth commands and those worked as well - both for GPS and switching from USB to CD and back. Good work Kia!!!!

·
Registered
584 Posts

I've done the update as noted above and thought i would check to see if my maps version was in line with 13.47 ..... however my uipdate screen does not mention NAV at all? I maybe paranoid given things didnt go right the first time - so any guidance on this apprecaited. My current screen with versions of software is attached.

this might not be related to the update but a week after the update the thumb drive that had been connected to the USB port next to the AUX and 2 12V ports is no longer recognised. Figuring the drive went bad i tried a micro-SD card with music and housed in a USB adapter. i get a message that says something like "the drive does not support media playback". the drive works perfectly in my laptop and has a large number of mp3 files. both the SD card and the thumb drive are 64GB. Thoughts?

·
Registered
584 Posts
this might not be related to the update but a week after the update the thumb drive that had been connected to the USB port next to the AUX and 2 12V ports is no longer recognised. Figuring the drive went bad i tried a micro-SD card with music and housed in a USB adapter. i get a message that says something like "the drive does not support media playback". the drive works perfectly in my laptop and has a large number of mp3 files. both the SD card and the thumb drive are 64GB. Thoughts?
I found an old 256MB (MB not GB) and used this in the USB slot and it recognised mp3 files and began playing. Could it be that after the update the Kia entertainment system will not recognise 64GB media???

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,512 Posts
A device formatted for and/or a system expecting FAT32 cannot handle a 64GB drive. FAT32 max is 32GB. May be the reason.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6 , 2012 Soul !
685 Posts
I've done the update as noted above and thought i would check to see if my maps version was in line with 13.47 ..... however my uipdate screen does not mention NAV at all? I maybe paranoid given things didnt go right the first time - so any guidance on this apprecaited. My current screen with versions of software is attached. View attachment 115897

Scroll down on the version screen to see the rest of the version info.

As far as the USB drive, I agree it is a size issue. Only FAT32 (or 16 or 12) formatted drives will be recognized.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Appreciate the updates on FAT32 and sizes greater than 32GB.

I noticed another "feature" of the updated entertainment today. i put the car in R and the volume on music (song playing from MyMusic) dropped, then 2 seconds later I moved it to P and the volume increased back to where it had been. Dont recall the prior version having this???

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,512 Posts
Actually FAT32 can support more than 32GB, but Windows forces exFAT when formatting USB drives greater than 32GB. You have to use another utility for 64GB and greater, just search windows FAT32 format or guiformat. I've used 128GB cards in dashcams that can only support FAT32.

KuoH
As you note, max MS partition size for FAT32 is 32GB. 3rd party software (such as you mentioned) will format a larger partition, but again, that's using a tool most users do not own, and it's unlikely that the OP has been using it. I've been using one written by Ridgecrop for years, but such tools are probably news to almost everyone in this forum, and we're trying to explain how the user got into this particular ditch. The problem we've seen with this approach on some devices is if the OS needs to WRITE to the storage medium for any reason, the OS may have internal limitations based upon a 32GB assumption, allowing only 32GB to be used. The remaining 32GB+ winds up being ROM.

181 - 200 of 214 Posts