Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX AWD 3.3 V6 USA
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else noticed they have changed their website and starting on April 27 will now sell the map upgrade along with the Apple Play/Android update for $25USD shipped?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SXL
159 Posts
apple pay/android auto updates? isnt that something you update on your phone?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX, 2017 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 Ecoboost, 2001 Ford Ranger 4.0, 2000 BMW Z3 2.3
76 Posts
OP meant Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. If your car already has it then yes, it gets updated on your phone for the most part.

Some 2016 owners like me have the ability to install AC/AA after the fact; it was not installed at the factory but available later.

Went to the website. Says no downloads are available until the new map version is released. Found in the FAQ what the OP was indicating:

Q. My car does not have AC/AA. Can I get it by ordering a map update?
A. Certain 2014 to 2017 models will add AC/AA after a map update. Please check the “New Features” guide listed under your particular model. If AC/AA is not mentioned, then an update will not add it.

Q. How much does the map update cost to ship?
A. All map updates now cost $25 USD ($30 CAD) for the media plus shipping charges.

Will definitely be checking out the website on 04/27.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry multitasking is a B*^%$. Hard to "work" from home and surf the web! Yes, meant the Apple Carplay/Android Auto installation. I just bought my '16 and the previous owner did not update/upgrade. I emailed them (MapnSoft) with my VIN and they replied :

"Thank you for your inquiry .

The Map Update for your vehicle includes Apple Carplay. It will be available for purchase on April 27th, 2020.

Please let me know if you have further questions."

If available on the 27th, I'm definitely ordering it.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL
135 Posts
I just confirmed this with MapNsoft. Starting April 27th, most newer KIA / HYUNDAI vehicles with Navigation will be able to update their head unit maps and software for $25 plus shipping for the SD version.

Starting some time in July, the updates will be available FREE for download and self-install.

I don't know what prompted the corporate overlords at Hyundai Motor Group to do this, but this is fantastic news. These updates were already free in most other world markets for the first five years of ownership, so it's nice to see them extended to us in US / CAN.

More info here: KIA Update Website and here: MapNsoft FAQ.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,401 Posts
Saw the asterisk after the word "FREE*" on the Kia site. I wonder what the exclusions will be?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Will see what happens in the next few days. Would love to get my 2016 up to date finally

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento SX
31 Posts
Previously when I checked for a Map update for my 2019 Sorento, I think the website showed over $100 for an update if I recall correctly. Dos this mean they have slashed the prices for Map updates drastically?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX, 2017 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 Ecoboost, 2001 Ford Ranger 4.0, 2000 BMW Z3 2.3
76 Posts
I don't have navigation in my Fusion (I use Android Auto) but Ford has updated the Sync3 system for free about four times since I bought the car. Don't know if Ford owners with navigation get free map updates though. That is a nice deal by Kia. Our previous CX-9 had DVD discs for navigation and they were over $100 for an updated version.

I don't know what prompted the corporate overlords at Hyundai Motor Group to do this, but this is fantastic news.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,145 Posts
I don't have navigation in my Fusion (I use Android Auto) but Ford has updated the Sync3 system for free about four times since I bought the car. Don't know if Ford owners with navigation get free map updates though. That is a nice deal by Kia. Our previous CX-9 had DVD discs for navigation and they were over $100 for an updated version.
No free maps - I paid around $120 for my 2017 Edge Sport - when I bought it the maps were three years outdated, but those that bought their cars a few months later got the map update free.

·
Registered
2016 sorento ex v6 awd wisconsin
25 Posts
As of 4/25. Hope that price is accurate.

Kia Multimedia & Navigation Updates

Welcome to the official Kia Motors Multimedia & Navigation Updates website for North America. Here you can order a new SD card/USB by mail to update your built-in navigation system.

Map version 14 will be available starting April 27th. A download option will be available on May 15th.

Note: Download option is limited to newer models.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ordered mine today....lets see how long it takes. Hopefully now I can use my Android w/Android Play.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ordered mine as well. Mine came out to $34.51 with Fedex Ground shipping. Was tempted to pay for the expedited shipping but figured with the lockdown order I have nowhere to go!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ordered mine as well. Mine came out to $34.51 with Fedex Ground shipping. Was tempted to pay for the expedited shipping but figured with the lockdown order I have nowhere to go!
I went cheap and opted for the USPS delivery. Havent had it do far..I can wait a few more days.

·
Registered
2016 sorento ex v6 awd wisconsin
25 Posts
Ordered mine also. When i called ,I was told upcoming free downloads will not be available for 2016.
Items Qty Price
2016 Kia Sorento Map Update 142S4_E

SKU: KIA_SORENTO_2016_US_14.0
VIN 5XYPHDA51GG176536
1 $25.00
Subtotal $25.00
Shipping & Handling $6.70
Grand Total $31.70

Items Qty Price

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,401 Posts
Lucky for you guys. All I am getting is a little message bubble in the lower right that says

"
Hello,

Please note that we are unfortunately experiencing an unexpected delay with v14 so it has been delayed until later this month. I apologize for any confusion and inconvenience. "

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,401 Posts
Note what appears if I attempt to make the order:

Note the "MAP VERSION AFTER UPDATE" shows 13.41.41 even though the part number is 142S4_E.

·
Registered
76 Posts
just ordered mine. i figured 2016 wouldn't have a download option...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Note what appears if I attempt to make the order:
View attachment 114518
Note the "MAP VERSION AFTER UPDATE" shows 13.41.41 even though the part number is 142S4_E.
This looks fine. Once you enter your VIN and do the type of shipment, you should just have to pay using PAYPAL and be all set

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
326 Posts
Here's a pic of the install manual.. It's for version 14, but in the table it's also called version 13.41.41.xxx , a bit confusing. Ordered my 2015 SD card today..

map-update.JPG

1 - 20 of 177 Posts