Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brend new 2014 Sorento SX with the new navigation system and the map version written on the sticker of the nav SD card package is 2012 !

I guess 2012 map is the latest version available that's why only 2011 Sorento can be updated and not more recent ones (2012+).

Mapnsoft is kind of slow motion when you think that Gramin for example has 4 updates a year for free (lifetime) for many of their GPS.

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
547 Posts
Aside from larger screen and being built in, this Nav system does not compare well with the portable Garmins I have been using.
One of my gripes about car Nav systems is not only no lifetime maps for "free", so pay a considerable amount for updates but the updates are much less frequent.
Another "complaint" is the disappearance of road detail more quickly on zooming out that should be necessary. I live in a relatively rural area. The roads I drive on when not major highways,disappear when zoom out even a little bit.
The Garmin had built in traffic with an icon showing on screen. I have heard of "traffic" in this system connected with Sirius, but apparently not in Canada.
Lastly the Garmin showed actual speed and posted speed with actual in red if over. I have found this handy when driving in unfamiliar areas.
This system does have posted though so far have only seen it locally on the 400 series highways in Ontario.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aside from larger screen and being built in, this Nav system does not compare well with the portable Garmins I have been using.
One of my gripes about car Nav systems is not only no lifetime maps for "free", so pay a considerable amount for updates but the updates are much less frequent.
Another "complaint" is the disappearance of road detail more quickly on zooming out that should be necessary. I live in a relatively rural area. The roads I drive on when not major highways,disappear when zoom out even a little bit.
The Garmin had built in traffic with an icon showing on screen. I have heard of "traffic" in this system connected with Sirius, but apparently not in Canada.
Lastly the Garmin showed actual speed and posted speed with actual in red if over. I have found this handy when driving in unfamiliar areas.
This system does have posted though so far have only seen it locally on the 400 series highways in Ontario.
I agree for the updates. But for traffic annoucement, Garmin system is not that accurate and useful and I do not use it, road speed limits appeared most of the time on my way back from the dealer to home yesterday. More testing to come !

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took delivery of a new 2014 SXl yesterday. It was more than a little annoying to see 2012 on the Map SD. Paying for a 40K vehicle to get nickel and dimed for a map update to match my "2014 vehicle" seems like a rip-off to me. Our last two Ford Edge's came with supplied updates, whenever they were available, for free, from Ford. I bought a 2014 car, give me a 2014 map!

·
Registered
2015 Sorento SXL
18 Posts
New Jersey

I bought my SX in Northern New Jersey on 8/1/2013, Map ver. 2012: USA.05.45.48.004

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SX- mine, 2012 Hyundai Azera- Mom's
79 Posts
Too be honest, I could understand why a company wouldn't release map updates every year. That being said, it would also make sense that a company would wait for a year to be over in order to try to include all of the changes for that year before releasing a new version, e.g. release the 2013 map at the end of 2013.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
41 Posts
So I took my Sorento on a road trip this weekend and found one really annoying issue with maps that are not updated. It's not really the roads I am interested in as we don't build that many over a 1-2 year span. It's the POI's. Twice on this trip we searched for someplace to eat and made our choice based on brand or food type. Twice we discovered the place either closed or had changed names.

I guess looking at the grand scheme of things it really is a daunting task to keep up with millions of businesses and maintain an accurate database but dang it, I was really looking forward to A&W yesterday! ;-)

p.s. got 25.2 miles per gallon for the tank!

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL AWD 3rd Row Titanium Silver/Black
26 Posts
I am getting a 2014 SXL in October when my 2011 SX lease expires. I certainly would like to have updated map info. I suggest submitting via the Kia site this complaint. I will do so today. The more we ask the quicker [hopefully] we will get Kia to make the change or at least tell us if/when we can expect it.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,531 Posts
A paper map and billboards!
Your right!
I never bought a fresh paper map for 10 years or more and could still could find my way with the old one, so why is a current update on a NAV system that critical :confused:

I've had a Garmin for three years and not updated it and still no problem finding my way. :D

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's a little tough to do considering it's August of 2013.
Yes and no since Garmin for example published their 2014.1 update for one month now and update it 4 times a year for free on LMT GPS unit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
who do you submit a complaint to? I have a tom tom that gives free updates , maps and traffic. One does not pay 40k for paper maps . I expect to get what i pay for.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL AWD 3rd Row Titanium Silver/Black
26 Posts
UPDATE from KIA Asistance: I submitted our complaint to Kia. They called late yesterday. GPS mapping is updated every [2] years. This apparently is the norm in the GPS world. Since 2012 was the last update, it will be 2014, don't know the date, when the next update will be available. When I questioned Kia about "free updates" that some manufacturers offer I was quickly reminded of the tremendous value [more bells and whistles] Kia provides for the money....which I could not refute. Kia also said that after [3] years Kia sometimes will send a coupon to Nav owners for a reduced price or Free maps upgrade. My Sorento is 34 months old so I was not aware of this possibility. Hopefully Kia will aggregate my ownership-time when I get the SXL in October.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts