Kia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento SX
187 Posts
Agree prices too high for uvo , but how many auto companies offer any kind of map updates for free.
Lexus always has, IIRC.

Kia didn't offer this for free until just a year ago or so. And we're getting what we pay for. For this update in my '19, updating is easier than it's ever been - took about 20 minutes, exactly what their estimate claimed.

But the street grid doesn't appear updated (there's a new street in my neighborhood that's been open for over a year, but Kia has missed it at least twice on updates), it continues to display only about 20% of the POI icons it should on the map, and the only significant change seems to be the faux Nixie tubes are gone on the radio display.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,683 Posts
I thought all of them on newer years for some time. I used a Garmin GPS stand alone which has free updates at least twice a year. They are far far superior to any automotive attempts implemented by far.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
2,207 Posts
Agree prices too high for uvo , but how many auto companies offer any kind of map updates for free.
Almost none. That's why my trusty TomTom unit remains on my dash. With their NDS incremental mapping system updates, updates come out every couple of weeks, and full maps every quarter.

·
Registered
2016 sorento ex v6 awd wisconsin
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I use android auto alot on my aawireless but it drains the battery on my pixel 4a quickly. Tha'ts why I like kia maps as an backup.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
1,280 Posts
Odd, I was just looking to find info on the update data and logged into mine on the computer. Good until 2024, should go the full length of the warranty. You're newer than mine. I'd call Kia and verify. Remote services are nice but do take a while to process anything selected. Handy though when away to see if the vehicle is secure etc. LOL
The US UVO is one year from purchase. They tried to get me to pay them absurd amounts of money to continue the UVO subscription, but I'm not buying.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX
127 Posts
Odd, I was just looking to find info on the update data and logged into mine on the computer. Good until 2024, should go the full length of the warranty. You're newer than mine. I'd call Kia and verify. Remote services are nice but do take a while to process anything selected. Handy though when away to see if the vehicle is secure etc. LOL
Canada get 5 years while U.S. gets 1 year.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
470 Posts
I started the updater program. It updated itself. My logon does not work. Logged in as "guest" - no problem. Map update is downloading now.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,683 Posts
I watched a dealer youtube on doing the update. They indicate to select FORMAT the SD card. I'd be using the oem one already in use and doing so would wipe any oem files if required. I have wonder if formatting cards in 2019 or 2020 which have to be 32GB are a must do.

Any bugs notice with new software as it control other feature of the vehicle.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,683 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
1,280 Posts
I have a couple of extra 32gig cards that I rotate through. I kept the original as is.
I have several class-10 32GB cards, but I put the original in the rotation. There's no point in keeping it once you've done an update, there is no going back.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento SX, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Tech pkg. Former 2014 Kia Rondo EX Luxury,
556 Posts
I rotate the stock card with a new Sandisk Extreme card I got just for this purpose. Wanted something for the cold and hot extremes we get around here. I was also too paranoid to get one from Amazon as I didn't want counterfeit...I went to a local Walmart and got it off the shelf there.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,683 Posts
Bestbuy's on sale for me I use in my phone.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento SX
187 Posts
Voice recognition appears markedly improved with this update. Which is a good thing, since the POI icons continue to show only about 10% of the actual POIs for various categories on the map itself.

·
Registered
2016 sorento ex v6 awd wisconsin
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Voice recognition appears markedly improved with this update. Which is a good thing, since the POI icons continue to show only about 10% of the actual POIs for various categories on the map itself.
Good to hear, it took me at least 3 tries yesterday to get it to understand me.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
470 Posts
The only weirdness I've noticed is that my AM and FM station list has some bogus sirius channel descriptor text next to them (stuff like "blues" or "Fox news". "Fox News" is attached to my PBS NPR FM station !
The text strings are persistent even when I delete the sirius channel/s.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts