Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL AWD
275 Posts
I checked and it was for the 2016-2018 Sorento, so I can't use it? I got my Sorento in July 2018 but it's a 2019 model. When did they begin offering the updates for free? Thank you.

·
Registered
2016 sorento ex v6 awd wisconsin
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Free updates for a couple of years now. Don't know why it's limited to 2016 thru 2018.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento SX
187 Posts
Definitely looks like they're slow on the update cycle this time. You can download the navigator update software and it allows you to select 2019 and newer Sorentos, but then it says "update not available for your vehicle." I'll give 'em a few weeks to see if they properly add all years to the update.

Edited to add: Owners of 2021+ are noting in their forum that Kia apparently pulled the update from those years after releasing it. Lovely, Kia - you're beta-testing the software on owners, creating all sorts of bugs and issues. So it's probably a good thing we didn't get in the site early to download the update for our 2019s.

·
Registered
2016 sorento ex v6 awd wisconsin
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point. Think I'll wait at least til june before updating. Especially since the updates won't let you go back to previous versions.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,689 Posts
I wonder if the interface is going to get redesigned. Favourite all merged together don't work period and should never been done. SAT, FM etc should be all separate groups somehow for one.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento SX
187 Posts
I wonder if the interface is going to get redesigned. Favourite all merged together don't work period and should never been done. SAT, FM etc should be all separate groups somehow for one.
Reports are that the "nixie tube" display is gone - which is good for many reasons, not the least of which is that the "nixie tube" display was never a good rendition of true nixie tubes.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
1,282 Posts
I updated it the other day, just popped the battery charger on the car, turned on the ignition, and kicked off the update. It took about 25 minutes, and so far everything works fine. There's no need to have the car running for the update, the previous one I just turned on the ignition and did the update, this time I figured I'd use the new battery charger. :)

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,689 Posts
Our updates are different for CND owners but the interface should be the same. What your assessment of it. Much better, like it or just ok. A pic one day would help some. Its too distracting driving to navigate the existing with the present layout. Even using the mode button requires many glances to see what you're doing and where you've moved to. Bizarre idea someone had and likely never drove with it.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Truthfully, I see very little difference. My disappointment is that the Nav is not nearly as useful without paying ridiculous prices for a UVO subscription. And when I play MP3's from my USB FLASH drive, they still cut off most of the title in the display. I'd love to know who determines the specifications for their software, they need an "adjustment" in their thinking! :(

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,689 Posts
Bummer, I was hopeful it would be a positive change and not merely updating the map data but its functionality as well. Since a lot of roads and streets remain unnamed as you approach them. Stupid, even in Nav mode it may appear as you are right at the turn off. I skipped the last update since it wasn't a major one as this was supposed to be.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
If it's a "major" update, the "major" is will hidden. :D FWIW, I had the last update in my glovebox for six months and never got around to installing it. So, in a year's time, I see very little change in the software, I'm hoping at least the nav maps are more current...

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,689 Posts
If it's a "major" update, the "major" is will hidden. :D FWIW, I had the last update in my glovebox for six months and never got around to installing it. So, in a year's time, I see very little change in the software, I'm hoping at least the nav maps are more current...
Thats what Mapsoft told me when I called a year ago. The interface and software is done by Kia, not them. They provide the data update portion only!!! Its basically Kia's people who don't know what needs to be done for North America. I wondered if their people even drive.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,689 Posts
I went to the website. Seems more convoluted now to do just reading a bit. Push to Start ON mode isn't clear but results in the dash/electronics on which in turn drains he battery. I am not sure I want to try it. I have charge, Genius G1100 which is 1.1A, Likely not enough to keep the voltage as high as they'd like it. Maybe start the process and for a ride to as store etc to use up some of the time constructively as well as the gas.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL AWD
275 Posts
I just noticed a road blocked off for construction for 6 months shows up on my nav screen as blocked off and detours you. I have never done an update. Do we automatically get traffic notifications as well as updated road conditions without doing anything or paying ?

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,689 Posts
Not sure, you'd have to check with Kia UVO. It may require Kia Connect functionality. I am not sure how they do it.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
It requires UVO to get traffic I believe. Once my year of UVO expired, I didn't renew, too stinkin' expensive for the little use I get from it. If it were more reasonably priced, I'd have bit for it, so they lose by being greedy.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,689 Posts
It requires UVO to get traffic I believe. Once my year of UVO expired, I didn't renew, too stinkin' expensive for the little use I get from it. If it were more reasonably priced, I'd have bit for it, so they lose by being greedy.
Odd, I was just looking to find info on the update data and logged into mine on the computer. Good until 2024, should go the full length of the warranty. You're newer than mine. I'd call Kia and verify. Remote services are nice but do take a while to process anything selected. Handy though when away to see if the vehicle is secure etc. LOL

1 - 20 of 46 Posts