Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2020 Niro EV Premium
13 Posts
Well, the free update site is finally live... Official Kia Motors Navigation Update Website

Got the installation program for windows and installed.

Then you run it, and you can sign in to the Kia Red program, or others, or continue as a guest, continue as a guest is the way to go.

Then there is another offer to sign up, do it later.

Now you can select your vehicle and download to a flash drive directly from the program, it even indicates that it formats the drive.

Did all that...

Now you are supposed to put the flash drive in the car and use the setup menu... software update... and it should begin updating...

nope, sits there and plays the .wav files that are in the flash... you can see apk files and other stuff, so the next trick is to get it to update.

Sigh.....

·
Registered
2020 Niro EV Premium
13 Posts
updated my web site with more complete instructions, downloaded new file, installed, working fine...

map and 4 other subsystems updated, also it indicated 2021 Niro EV...

nice!

Greg

·
Registered
2020 Niro EV Premium
13 Posts
Update on getting the update program:

The problem is that right now, you can only download the version that is Korean region only....

So a bit of a revelation, when you try to get the updating software from the update.kia site, it downloads the program: smartupdaterplus.exe .... this is not really the program you really want... but it is where you have to start.

when you install smartupdaterplus, it actually downloads and installs the REAL updater program, which is called NavigationUpdater.exe

Whenever you run smartupdaterplus, it always checks for updates, and as several have found, you are slammed into Korean only.

Luckily, I archived the real updater program, NavigationUpdater.exe, which can be installed separately.

I have version 1.0.32, and just ran it, and it has South Korea, Canada, and USA still and I just downloaded the update files again successfully.

It has the files for 2017-2020 Niro, 2018-2020 Niro Plug in hybrid, and the 2019 & 2020 Niro EV.

So, for those of you who want to try it, you can email me for the program, I'm taking the link off my site, too many people complaining that I don't give good enough directions, and I really am not in the business of support, I'll give it to people who can handle it.

Greg

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro EX Premium
8 Posts
Looks like the site is open in the US. I'm downloading my update for my 2019 Niro now. Will install it in the morning.

·
Registered
2020 Niro EV Premium
13 Posts
Yep, so now you can get the installer program (navigationupdatersetup.exe) from update.kia.com no issue, install it. Then you can run the program that will download the update files when you want. Originally, the 1.0.43 I had was Korean only, and 1.032.1 worked to get the file. Now the current version 1.0.45 works.

But I also verified that the update files are still from July 8th.

So much for a new version in August.... there indeed is a new version of the updater program, but not a newer version of the firmware for the car.

Greg

·
Registered
2020 Niro EV Premium
13 Posts
I see mapnsoft (the people who charge $25 for the update SD/USB) finally has a map update for the 2020 Niro EV: NAM.13.47.44.680.101.5

What is funny is that update.kia.com (the free one you can download yourself) has NAM.13.47.44.680.201 .... newer...

So much for the "new map coming soon"....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts