Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm having an interesting problem with a 2003 Kia Spectra. After this car was jump started the other day due to a drained battery, I noticed that the following no longer work:

• power windows (no power whatsoever)
  • power door locks
  • backlight in instrument cluster
  • backlight in accessory dash buttons
  • center dome light when doors are open (works fine when switch is in the "on" position)
  • rear defrost
The following still work:

• all meters (e.g. speedometer, tachometer, etc)
  • digital displays (e.g mileage, tripometer) in the instrument cluster (but not backlit)
  • transmission position LED's (e.g. P, D, R) in instrument cluster are illuminated when necessary
  • radio
  • AC/heater
  • low/high beams
  • brake lights
  • turn signals
  • center dome light when set to "on" (not when set to "door")
  • dash clock
  • cigarette lighter
Here are some observations I've made.

• I tested all of the fuses in the cabin fuse box and engine fuse/relay box with a multimeter. They are all fine.
  • There were a number of fusible links in the engine fuse/relay box which all checked out fine.
  • I disconnected the positive battery terminal for 15 minutes with no luck.
  • The battery charges up fine. It was reading 12.6V pre charge and 13.2V immediately post charge.
  • The battery passes on a 50A load test for 10 seconds. I know 50A isn't sufficient to fully test the battery, but it's better than nothing. Something could be wrong with the battery, but I suspect it is fine. The car starts up fine with no hesitation.
  • I believe the alternator is fine. It charges up the battery and is reading 14.5V at the battery terminals while the vehicle is running. I suppose something could still be wrong with it.
Here is what I have left on my list for troubleshooting this issue.

• Take it to an auto parts store for a free diagnostics
  • Test voltage on hot side of all fuses
  • Test all relays
  • Search for and test any fusible links that may not be located in the in the engine fuse/relay box. Are there anymore hidden somewhere?
Could this be due to a faulty diode near the cabin fuse box? I read that a faulty diode in an '04 Sorento could cause dome light issues.

Could this be due to a faulty BCM (Body Control Module)? If so, would a faulty BCM be reported during an OBD2 diagnostics test?

What else should I check?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I realized yesterday that my tail lights are also not working. The brake lights illuminate when the brake pedal is pressed, but the tail lights do not stay illuminated while the headlights are on. :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had ordered an used ETWIS unit last week for $25 shipped from an US eBay seller. I installed it today shortly after it came in. Everything started working again! Thanks everyone for your help! It is GREATLY appreciated! :) :) :)

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
Thanks for posting what you found...
I knew of the 2004.5 and newer Spectras having problems with the BCM but chose not to post this info on a 2003...Now we know they're are not immune to BCM/ETWIS problems also...
Dave

OOPs I guess I did post on the 2003...Glad you got it fixed..
Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts