Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Sorento LX with a 4-spd automatic and 4wd, I was wondering if anyone knew what would be required to swap the tranny with the 5-spd manual. Would I be able to just drop a manual tranny from a 4wd and be done with it or would I need to change out the engine and transfer case, too?

Thanks for the info :)

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,878 Posts
I have a 2004 Sorento LX with a 4-spd automatic and 4wd, I was wondering if anyone knew what would be required to swap the tranny with the 5-spd manual. Would I be able to just drop a manual tranny from a 4wd and be done with it or would I need to change out the engine and transfer case, too?

Thanks for the info :)
Not something I have ever thought about, but iirc the prop-shafts (front and rear) are different lengths. I think you would then have to do something about the electronics (ECU, TCU(?), TCCS(?)) to accomodate the change. Obviously you would have to somehow change the shift mechanism - don't know if the floor pan is common in that respect - and any interlocks that are fitted in your territory, plus the center-console bits of course. I believe the bellhousing would need to be changed at least for the torque converter/clutch change, along with clutch hydraulics and pedal box of course. I would imagine the transmission/transfer case interface would be common - no sense in Kia spending more than needed where the transfer case is bought in from Borg-Warner and it is common across models.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not something I have ever thought about, but iirc the prop-shafts (front and rear) are different lengths. I think you would then have to do something about the electronics (ECU, TCU(?), TCCS(?)) to accomodate the change. Obviously you would have to somehow change the shift mechanism - don't know if the floor pan is common in that respect - and any interlocks that are fitted in your territory, plus the center-console bits of course. I believe the bellhousing would need to be changed at least for the torque converter/clutch change, along with clutch hydraulics and pedal box of course. I would imagine the transmission/transfer case interface would be common - no sense in Kia spending more than needed where the transfer case is bought in from Borg-Warner and it is common across models.
Yeah, I thought it would be a project, and being a 4WD I am starting to see more and more dollar signs. I think it would be less of a hassel and a LOT cheaper to just trade cars with someone that has a 5SP and 4WD and comparable miles. lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts