Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

So after quite a bit of research I land myself here. I recently acquired a 2002 Rio with the 5 speed. The car is bare bones, no power steering or power anything for that matter. Its a fantastic little car to commute to work with. However, it doesn't like to stay in 5th gear. While cruising if I let off the throttle there is a high pitch whine and the car gets pushed out of gear. I realize that this most likely is a result of worn out synchros. My question is this, is this the M5TX trans in this car and will I need bearing pullers to remove the bearings from inside the trans housing when I do the rebuild? I am very versed in the Jeep/Truck world and have plenty of experience building and working on those so I just want to go into this project with as much info as possible to limit surprises.

Thanks for your time.

Tim

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
636 Posts
Synchro keys are bad. Or, shift fork is worn and your not fully engaged. If your going to tear into the box install all new synchro keys, hoop springs, blocker rings. Wash everything well with clean solvent, dry, pre lube everything. Look over all bearings for spalling as well as gear teeth. Replace all worn parts. Don't forget the pilot bearing for the input shaft! Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts