Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which picanto wud u guys recommend to me..? I have treid both automatic and manual and I have found out that the automatic version’s better. The initial acceleration rate is good enough. For manual the problem’s with the clutch I I find it a bit hard n stiff besides I personally think dat manual one is slower less efficient.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, actually depending on you.
If you prefer speed & fuel consuption, choose manual

if you prefer conveniency and don't mind about the fuel, choose auto

For myself I chose manual... ;-)

·
Registered
62 Posts
manual is much better, auto is slower (both top speed and acceleration) and less fuel efficient, but if you just want really easy drive and are probably a little bit lazy maybe then go for auto, but i couldnt ever get an auto car, changing gears is one of the good things about driving surely?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Originally posted by Picanto@Aug 22 2004, 06:31 PM
manual is much better, auto is slower (both top speed and acceleration) and less fuel efficient, but if you just want really easy drive and are probably a little bit lazy maybe then go for auto, but i couldnt ever get an auto car, changing gears is one of the good things about driving surely?
changing gears is one of the best things about driving????????????? you're having a laugh ain't you? :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Originally posted by Picanto@Aug 22 2004, 06:31 PM
Driving a car with automated gear shifting is just plain dull so I have to agree with Picanto :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
yeah driving cars without manual shifting is like driving toy bumper cars in an amusement park. the only difference is u should't try to bump other cars.:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by Picanto@Aug 22 2004, 08:31 PM
You say the acceleration suffers in the auto (makes sense) but is it very Noticeable ?
I'm thinking about an auto Picanto myself

·
Registered
112 Posts
Originally posted by SYL@Nov 22 2004, 04:48 AM
You say the acceleration suffers in the auto (makes sense) but is it very Noticeable ?
I'm thinking about an auto Picanto myself
The acceleration of the A/T model is reflective to all A/T cars in general. As for fuel consumption, there is a difference, but it is minimal (we have both M/T and A/T). I prefer the A/T because of the driving convinience.

IMHO, the A/T fits the Picanto better, in looks and in style.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by jgotangco@Nov 22 2004, 05:47 AM
The acceleration of the A/T model is reflective to all A/T cars in general. As for fuel consumption, there is a difference, but it is minimal (we have both M/T and A/T). I prefer the A/T because of the driving convinience.

IMHO, the A/T fits the Picanto better, in looks and in style.
Thanks a lot, I think I'll go for it then (Blue) :D

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hi Guys.

I have a picanto 1.1 LX Auto, and my opinion is: It changes gear perfectly, is safer to drive, less wear on the clutch parts so it could prove cheaper! There are many good things to say about Auto...But I cannot think of any to say about mannual, except if your battery is flat with manual, you could bump-start it!

If you like pushing your foot down on the clutch and changing gear...Thats fine...Good-on-yer...But lets be fair...Auto-Driving is much safer than manual.

My vote is for Auto every time.

My kindest regards, John.

·
Registered
Kia Picanto LX 2004
12 Posts
Hi all

I GOT PICA 1.1LX AUTO AND I LOVE IT. EASY TO DRIVE. IF YOUR THINKIN WHAT I'M THINKING THEM PLEASE STOP!!!!. I HAVE DRIVEN MANUAL BEFORE INFACT IN AFRICA WHERE IS ALMOST LIKE WAR. THE AUTO RESPONES WELL AND ITS GREAT FUN. THE ACCELERATION IS NOT THE BEST BUT REMEMBER IT’S A 1.1 LX NOT 4.5. I HAVE BEEN IN MAZDA MX 6 AUTO AND TRUST ME ALTHOUGH ITS AUTO THE ACCELERATION WAS LIKE A ROCKET.

ACCELERATION IS DETERMINED BY ENGINE SIZE MOSTLY NOT TRANSMISSION TYPE. DEFINITELY RECORD AUTO..

MICHAEL. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well in order to resolve this issue i think it's best to see what the manufacturer says about auto and manual trans.
AUTO MANUAL
F.C. URBAN( l / 100 km) 6.9 5.9
F.C. ROAD( l / 100 km) 4.6 4.1
F.C. COMB.( l / 100 km) 5.5 4.7
ACCELL(0-100km/h) 17.9 s 15.1 s
MAX SPEED 154 km/h 144 km/h

Now it seems that the manual is far better than the automatic. However theese numbers are quite off when it comes to real life. In my case (i drive a 1.0 MAN) fuel consumption is around 8.5 - 9 l /100km
(but i drive like lunatic and the engine has done only 500 km so it's to be expected) and it should be under 6. Also top speed for a 1.0 should be 152 km/h but i drove it 155 km/h at 4500 rpm (didn't want to go further cuz the car is only few days old) meaning that at 5500 rpms (wich is the let's say normal max revolutions without overheating the engine) i should be able to reach some 160 - 165 km/h (probably even more with 98 octane unleaded fuel.)
So in retrospective to what i have writen above, manual is at least 10% faster and furioser than auto, but it's at least 20% more effort to drive it properly. I think it's up to anyone to decide whats proper for them. (You cant expect a housewife driving her children to work to appriciate 10% more strength over 20 % less comfort while she's wiping her 7 year old sons nose. On the other hand i like to be able to shift from 4th to 3rd while driving 100-110 km/h and push it to the limit to pass someone in front of me). And when it comes to safety it's hard to decide. just a month ago i was driving my old kia pride (75bhp 120000 km) and found my self in situation that i was driving 120 km/h and slowly speeding up in 5th and some moron cut me of at about 50km/h on the 2 lane road so i had to react realy fast withouth having anywhere to go. I knew that whatever i did i was gona crash so i just went to minimize the damage as much as possible i grabed the gear knob and pulled it fast towards the 4th and i missed it and went into 2nd. My engine went formula 1 on me at some 7000 - 8000 rpms (never again or before have i heard that sound) and the belt buckled and strangly enough within 10-20 meters i went from 120 to 50 km/h just a few centimeters behind the jerk that cut me off. I didn't have to sound the horn cuz i think everybody in the 10km radius heard the engine go frzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Now that is said i can say that manual transmition saved my life or at least serious damage (by mistake though) but this doesn't have to be a case for other people.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Rio
22 Posts
cunwan, if you've driven both and find the auto is better for YOU, than that's the one you should get. :57:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts