Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage 4WD
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read all posts re. unclogging vacuum hoses and lines to hubs. At dealership now, abnd verdict for my intermittent 4WD failure is clogged solenoid. They are replacing the part. My husband wants a permanent, quick, reliable fix - is it possible to install manually locking hubs? What is involved in bypassing the vacuum system? Does anything have to be closed off or removed to prevent issues with, e.g., the vacuum system for the heater controls? Don't know if the two system are connected in any way. Any ideas are welcomed. What are the preferred manual hub parts? Molly in Colorado

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,174 Posts
Greetings,

You are looking for Warn Manual Locking Hub set part # 60247,

Amazon.com: WARN 60247 Standard Manual Hubs: Automotive

You do not have to disconnect any vacuum lines/hoses, just disconnect the 4x4 solenoid connector, see the instructions:

http://warn.iwebcat.com/imgVD/WAR/60333c0-pn60247.pdf

If you want fully seal the front hub to prevent water/dirt infiltration in harsh conditions, you can either cut & plug the vacuum hose at the back of each wheel hub, or remove the vacuum hose and plug / seal the hub opening with JB Weld, as the vacuum hose is no longer needed (the rubber hose running from the wheel well to each hub is a known weak / failure point..)

re: vacuum / heater controls, no worries - the 2 systems have no relationship to each other,

* If you want to -fully- disable vacuum to the 4x4 system, locate the vacuum port at the far back bottom of the intake manifold -> feeds the metal line running in back of the motor -> to the 4x4 solenoid: remove and place a vacuum port nipple (cap) on it instead.. And seal the wheel hubs, per above.

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
After replacing the solenoid an no joy , the problem may be in the vacuum hubs ( common problem ) if all the vacuum lines and hoses are checked for leaks.
Yes the are replaceable warn part # 60247
be careful removing the oem bolts the may be corroded use hand tools an reinstall with anti seize
the job is ez about 10 min. A wheel. Can be done with wheels on.
Plug the vacuum hose going into the vacuum solenoid and make sure the lines going into the spindles are plugged keeping out water and dirt.
Good luck chief

·
Registered
01 Sportage 2 dr 4x4
9 Posts
Manual hubs for the sportage is best upgrade ever!!!! I don't worry anymore "will I get thru that" "What if the vacuum hub disengaged in the middle of that snow trail".

Warn actually did make the OEM vacuum hubs for Kia,,,

Unplug the electrical lead the solenoid if you swap to manual, you can leave vacuum lines to keep it sealed up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts