Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching for any existing threads on this and couldn't find one.
I was rear ended in my 2012 Kia Soul. It seemed to just be cosmetic type of repairs such as a new liftgate, bumper, ect..
The collision center, of course, calls me at 4:45pm on a Friday to pick up my car. They close at 5:30 and don't open again until Monday.
We went over the repair work. Everything seemed fine and I signed off to get my car. Then when I started my car, the malfunction light was on. Of course the guys who could hook me up to the scanner was gone for the day.
They told me that my car wasn't dangerous to drive and to just come back next week and the guy will hook up to the scanner and see what's going on.
That was Friday at around 5:45pm. Now, when I was getting home on Sunday night at approximately 9pm, I noticed that the light had turned off.
Does anyone have any advice on this? My thought was that they disconnected the battery during service or something and it just tripped a sensor that maybe driving long enough corrected it.
My main irritation is that someone drove my car from the garage to a parking space and somehow didn't notice the malfunction light was on.
Would a scan show any error codes if the light has now turned off?
Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
936 Posts
At this point in time just go back tomorrow, Monday, and have them check your system out.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At this point in time just go back tomorrow, Monday, and have them check your system out.
Thanks for your response. I took it back and had the car scanned. My main concern is a cylinder misfire which I have had before.
I took it to my Kia service department today and told them I was having a cylinder misfiring. They said I was low on oil but they couldn't find the misfire. He said that he drove it.
Might be time to find a new Kia mechanic.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have another question that maybe someone could answer. If you have an OBD2 scan done and the codes are cleared, will the codes show if another scan is done without any issues having been fixed between the scans?
Example: P0303 cylinder 3 misfire detected. You don't have the problem fixed. Another scan is done and it shows no codes.
My car literally just misfired while I'm typing this (I'm sitting in a parking lot) and Kia said there is no misfire.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
936 Posts
To prevent 'false positives' the car companies are allowed to count and record multiple errors prior to throwing a light. So, for example, a misfire has to happen multiple times during a driving event/cycle before a CEL light will come on.
In many cases it is literally a speck of schmuck on a sensor that my create the issue.
Have you changed the spark plugs?
What is your maintenance on this vehicle?
Are you using decent fuel?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use 87 octane fuel. Maintenance is up to date. I mentioned to the service guy that I hoped it was just a spark plug because I had the entire coil pack replaced two to three years ago. He said they couldn't find anything wrong.
I have not tried to replace the spark plugs myself.
I just reached out to a friend I have in my area who also drives a Soul to see if he likes the place that services his car.
I have a cylinder that is clearly misfiring and it is just disheartening to know that service department couldn't figure that out.
Trust me, I don't want to spend the money to repair it if it's the coil pack or something worse but I also don't want to ruin the engine or the catalytic converter which would make a much larger bill.
Thank you for trying to help me with this.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Run your fuel down to near M/T. Add a bottle of Chevron's fuel system cleaner to your gas tank.
Fill your tank with Sunoco 94 octane fuel. Get her on the highway and run her at 70 + for at least 50 miles. See if this helps. I assume your air filter is clean and recently changed?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, I missed your last reply. I was going to take the car to another mechanic on Monday when I'm off again.
I'll give your suggestion a try.
I'm guessing you think I should be running with 94 octane as my standard fuel?
If your suggestion was to work, then I would definitely make the switch.
Thanks again for allmof you assistance.

·
Registered
936 Posts
No, not 94 octane all the time. Just one tank along with the system cleaner to possibly clean out the induction and fuel system. It will help clean plugs, injectors, etc.
(On small engines, blowers, mowers, etc., a cheap and dirty trick is to place your hand over the air intake when running it hard. This creates a large strong vacuum which in turn can suck out any small debris or gunk.) We are trying to do the same thing in your case.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, got it. I'm not a total moron but I'm not anywhere near an expert either so I appreciate the help of those more knowledgeable, such as yourself.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Nope, you not a moron. But, you are wise to keep your vehicle in good operating condition. Many folks don't, and then lambaste the manufacturer when it fails them. This test won't cost you a lot of money and may help. Let us know good or bad. If not, then we need to drill down deeper for more answers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts