Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I never expected it to happen to me, but I was driving the other day when all-of-a-sudden my rear driver's side tire blew a sidewall. I was about 30 miles outside of town. So, I pulled out the scissor jack, lug wrench, and handle. After turning the scissor jack handle in, around, out, in, around, out 121 times, I was finally able to get the tire off. When I went to lower the spare, I was in for a new surprise. 5 Michigan winters had made sure that the tire was rusted in place. So, I banged on it with the lug wrench about 10 times, and it finally broke free. I finished lowering it, installing it, and lowering the jack (around and around 121 freaking times again) and I had yet another surprise. My spare was almost flat. So, I turned around and headed back for town very slowly. I got to a gas station with air, and found the pressure in the spare was 20 psi out of 60 psi!! Luckily, I just bought the tires a month ago, so the tire store is replacing it under warranty. Moral of the story - CHECK YOUR SPARE TIRE PRESSURE!!! You never know when it will come in handy. And if you have the silly sealant/compressor joke sitting in your trunk - you better pray you never find yourself in the situation I was!!!

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, if you ever find the need to put a spare tire on the front axle - don't. Swap out a rear tire, and put the spare on the rear. The difference in diameter (though small) of the tires could potentially damage the drivetrain.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,128 Posts
I NEVER keep that silly half a spare tire. I always just buy a nice used tire off craigslist, mount to a rim, throw that half a spare out.
Those 50 mile spares SUCK....

Checking your spare tire, should be done twice annually.

·
Super Moderator
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
Just like regular tires must be checked spare must be checked, too. :D Good lesson.

I did check mine after 3 years and t had about 30 PSI. Besides, I carry a tire compressor in the cargo. Just in case the pressure was lower...

1fastkia,
spare tire (donut) is designed to get you to nearest place where the regular wheel can be fixed. It saves room. I am against full size wheels as not only they are much bigger and heavier, they also have a full size tire that is never in use, except the time when you need it. Then the tire is old and may not perform well... so you would have to drive slower anyway.

Actually, I did land in a ditch when I changed a wheel with a full size spare (about 8 years old). It lost grip in tight turn I used to go everyday... It ended up OK, but still - I should have driven slower, what I would have expected if I had had a 50 mile spare.

·
Premium Member
6,128 Posts
You can get a nice used tire for 20 bucks or less. And the it will get you to a gas station. Have you ever been to one that doesn't carry tires? I have, most don't, and if you dont have roadside assistance, gonna be a pain to get one, and if its at night, even worse. Change out every 2-4 years, like any tire would need to be. They weather over a few years. This same goes for the donut, they are supposed to be taken out of use within 2-5 years and replaced because of age.
I regular tire, will always fit into the slot where the donut is without
protruding. Doesnt take any other room than the spare, it fits below the truck just fine.

Maybe Ive been lucky enough all the cars Ive had a full size spare in there, that they fit fine. Sure you cant use the hold down, but with the extra weight, it dont move.

]QUOTE]Actually, I did land in a ditch when I changed a wheel with a full size spare (about 8 years old).
A tire shouldn't be in service this long to begin with. Should have been replaced and this wouldnt have happened.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, the tire was in surprisingly good condition, and was a Hankook - not really something I was expecting. I think that for most people (I know it's the case for me) the spare is "out of sight out of mind". I just never really gave it that much thought. After the agony of turning that scissor jack 121 times each way, I am investing in a bottle jack for each of my cars :p

·
Super Moderator
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
I am investing in a bottle jack for each of my cars
Make sure the bottle will fit under the car first. I got a bottle and it is too tall...

·
Premium Member
6,128 Posts
Actually, the tire was in surprisingly good condition, and was a Hankook - not really something I was expecting. I think that for most people (I know it's the case for me) the spare is "out of sight out of mind". I just never really gave it that much thought. After the agony of turning that scissor jack 121 times each way, I am investing in a bottle jack for each of my cars
LOL at the 121 times, I so hate scissor jacks. I remember it was like 10 below zero one day, got a flat, no gloves, had to use the dam scissor jack, about froze my hands off. Since then I never use them. Pieces of crap. For the price you pay for a car, you'd think they could give you a real jack. Probably costs less to begin with.

Not to mention, its not always level when you need to use them. I dunno how many times I have had one roll over and car fall, a few times with the wheel off. What a PITA when the jack falls over, with no wheel on. More than once to me. THey are so unsafe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts