Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Olds Alero (POS), 1971 AMC Hornet SC 360 and 2006 Kia Rio (wife's car)
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the situation. My wife was coming home down the freeway the other night when her car started smoking and the temperature needle shot up past hot very quickly. It was at night so I drove over to where the car was with a flashlight. I spotted a crack in the upper radiator hose so I suspect that coolant has been seeping out for a while. We had to have the car towed home. The next morning I replaced the hose and put some coolant in it. Before I went to start it, I checked the oil dipstick and it came out bone dry. I then saw something that really has me worried. There's a visible pool of oil down by the bottom of the engine. Also the engine won't start but it was sitting on the side of the freeway with the flashers on for over two hours so the battery could be drained. The strange thing is we live in Las Vegas and it's been very hot lately. I drove the car to work (30 miles each way) almost every day last week with no problems at all. I'm not a mechanic so I need all the help I can get.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,526 Posts
Your wife mave have overheated the engine, oil leaking down the engine tells me you might have a blown head gasket. You need to fill the engine with oil, and either charge the battery, or replace it Then try to start. clean the engine good, to see where the oil is leaking from. How many miles are on your Rio?
Also, could you fill out the rest of your profile for us to see where you live?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm afraid that it might be a blown head gasket. The car has 114,000 on it. I filled out the rest of my profile. Thanks.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Rio (bare model - no p/s, a/c)
100 Posts
I'm afraid that it might be a blown head gasket. The car has 114,000 on it. I filled out the rest of my profile. Thanks.
Have you kept up with all the maintenance? I barely passed US geography but I'm thinking NV means Nevada? If so, you and I should have similar weather: HOT.

My ex gf's dad owned an 06 rio that went up to 180k miles in 5 years. I think his only issue was oil leaking in 180k miles, but at that high a mileage, I would just assume everything would start falling apart...

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,930 Posts
Well...at least it's an 06 and engines are available at reasonable prices...
05s and before the engines are very expensive and hard to come by...
Ebay has yours for around $600 and relatively low miles (under 50k).
Check "car-part.com" for engines in your area...
Probably cheaper to drop an engine in it than tear down and rebuild what you have.
If you go that route replace the timing belt on the donor engine before dropping it in.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,930 Posts
They got one (engine) in California
2009 Engine Kia Rio 1.6L,AT,FWD/NOTES 19,850 miles condition=A B00859
$650 Tapatio Autoparts - SCADA USA-CA(San-Diego) 1-619-661-1528 / 619-661-5064
Not a bad price for that low mileage..
Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I drained the radiator and refilled it, did an oil change, replaced the upper radiator hose and charged the battery. The engine still won't start. I suppose that means there's serious internal damage. Am I missing something? There's no way I can afford to put a new engine in it or get it repaired if it's something major.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
A compression test or cylinder leakdown test will be needed to identify the affected cylinders. After that, the head will need to be removed for inspection of the gasket, combustion chambers, mating surface, and for warpage. The 1.6 has an iron block, so it is most likely ok, but the head is aluminum and a much greater chance of being damaged. Best outcome, you just need a head gasket, but engines will usually start with a bad gasket. Worst case, you need a head(big$$$) or a whole engine, which if you get the salvage yard engine will be cheaper than the head.

Just for curiosity, did you check all of the engine sensors are ok? I've seen these engines get so hot from overheating that they melted some of the sensors

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is it possible that the on board computer is keeping the engine from starting as a safe guard? How do I find the computer and is there a reset button?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked the coil fuse and even though it looked good, I still replaced it and nothing. The damn thing still won't start. Is there a reset button for the computer and exactly where is the computer? Correct me if I'm wrong but if the head were warped or if it had a blown head gasket wouldn't it still start? It would like crap but it should still start right? I'm getting very frustrated. This may be the first and last Kia we own.

·
Super Moderator
6,930 Posts
There is NO reset button or "protection". The ECM would not have been damaged by the engine overheating. I would suggest you follow what others are saying... Check the compression of the cylinders...you probably have little to none. Also check for engine codes...they may give a more complete answer.

As to "Correct me if I'm wrong but if the head were warped or if it had a blown head gasket wouldn't it still start? It would like crap but it should still start right?"
Chances are NO it won't..

An overheated head will warp, head gaskets will fail with high temperatures, and valves won't seat (seal).
A compression check will give you answers (that you probably won't to hear about).

Like I said before there are good engines at very reasonable prices available so at least you have this going for you... You can't do a head rebuild job for what you can get a complete working engine with low miles on it.

I would bet that your wife isn't telling you how long she drove it after the temperature shot up. My wife did this also with her 87 Plymouth 2.0L. It didn't last any longer than 5 minutes after coolant was gone. ALL brands of todays cars will fail under these conditions so don't blame KIA. They are not built today like your AMC Hornet...they are smart, fuel efficient, and can go hundreds of thousands of miles but are much more fragile.

If you can get an engine and have it installed for under say $1000 you are still in better shape than trying to buy a complete car. The low mileage on the replacement will also increase the overall reliability..

Bad things happen...It's how you respond to them that makes a difference..
I wish you luck...
Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts