Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 Optima with about 24000 miles on it. EVERY time we fill it up no matter how much we put in, it has major hesitation once we began to drive off. it is so bad that i can be pushing the gas pedal to the floor, trying to pull out onto the highway and it will just stop on me after moving 2 feet. now after about 30 seconds it runs perfect like always and will never happen again until i fill up again. i have no proof at all but i feel that it might have something to do with pressure in the gas tank, but i have checked the gas cap to make sure it was on tight. ANYONE ELSE WITH THIS PROBLEM? HELP!?!?

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
I havent heard of anyone having this issue. A pressue issue in the tank would make sense. Contact your dealer and see what they say it might be. Keep us posted and good luck.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
83 Posts
some cars have gas vapor canisters by the gas tank that help keep gas vapors from building up by dumping the vapors in the exhaust before the cat and when you "top off" the tank (which most manufactures say is bad) it can spill actual gas into the canister and cause hesitation and backfiring by dumping extra gas into the exhaust before the cat, clogging it before it has time to heat up enough to burn in off. i have heard it is a real problem with e35 bmws and the fix is to know what your tank actually holds.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,980 Posts
Originally posted by bjm@Oct 11 2005, 11:37 PM
some cars have gas vapor canisters by the gas tank that help keep gas vapors from building up by dumping the vapors in the exhaust before the cat and when you "top off" the tank (which most manufactures say is bad) it can spill actual gas into the canister and cause hesitation and backfiring by dumping extra gas into the exhaust before the cat, clogging it before it has time to heat up enough to burn in off. i have heard it is a real problem with e35 bmws and the fix is to know what your tank actually holds.
WOW, now that's good information. Even I didn't know that one! LOL =P Thanks for the info bjm! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well this hapens no matter if i add a couple bucks to make half a tank or top it off. i just wanted to have some info on it before i went to the dealer because it seems sometimes like i know more than they do.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Either saw a post on the bad running problems with Kia's or I read it in the owners manual....either way, I have a question...when you screw the gas cap on, do you hear several clicks or just one? I read that you should hear several clicks :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i made sure that i clicked it several times. im not sure when ill get to the dealer but as soon as i find out he problem ill post it

·
Registered
37 Posts
Stop overflowing your tank when it stops it stops. Your just wasting gas when you do that and filling your canister with gas you wont use.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,980 Posts
Originally posted by skahide@Oct 11 2005, 11:08 PM
I have a 05 Optima with about 24000 miles on it. EVERY time we fill it up no matter how much we put in, it has major hesitation once we began to drive off. it is so bad that i can be pushing the gas pedal to the floor, trying to pull out onto the highway and it will just stop on me after moving 2 feet. now after about 30 seconds it runs perfect like always and will never happen again until i fill up again. i have no proof at all but i feel that it might have something to do with pressure in the gas tank, but i have checked the gas cap to make sure it was on tight. ANYONE ELSE WITH THIS PROBLEM? HELP!?!?
SINCE you have an 05, this SHOULD NOT be happening.. this is what you NEED to do.. take it to the dealership so they can PRESSURE TEST the gas cap and then check to make sure that you're FUEL PUMP is working properly.. I'm thinking it's one or the other.. this SHOULD be UNDER warrenty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2001 Optima. Took it to dealer once, who said it was a problem with a sensor (don't know what sensor) and charged me $300 to replace. It was fixed for about 2 years...now having the same problem again.

Doesn't matter if I fill up or put a few dollars in the tank (with the gas cap screwed on tightly).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts