Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife bought a 2000 Kia Sportage 2WD 4DR. About 3 weeks ago, she told me the car was acting funny. I drove it and there was a strong sulfurous smell coming from the bottom of the car and its acceleration was significantly decreased. It seemed to me just like the catalytic converter problem I had with an old Monte Carlo. I told her not to worry, I'll fix it. I've looked to replace the Cat, but everyone wants $750 -$900 for a new one. So I've been looking for one used, but noone will sell me one (they say its against the law to sell a used Cat). In the meantime, with her still driving it, things have gone from bad to "I'm going to set this thing of fire and you'll take a cab to work!". Now there's a loud banging from under the valve cover, kindof cyclic (comes and goes every 1-1 1/2 secs.). I've stripped it down to the head, but I've never worked on a DOHC before. If anyone has any advive, I'd be eternally grateful.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Can't offer any advice on what the banging might be without actually hearing it.

But can offer some advice on obtaining a used cat. The Sportage has two cat convertors. One under the driver and another one bolted right to the exhaust manifold. 9 times out of 10 cat problems are the cat on the manifold. If you find a wrecked Sportage in a junk yard strip off the exhaust manifold plus "just so happen" to have the cat attached to it. The guys in the junkyard will probably be none the wiser and charge you just for an exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, warranty expired, just over 100,000 miles, and she financed $17,000. Thank you very much for the advice on the pre-cat, that'll help me alot. I was reading on another forum that severe cat problems can cause back-pressure that might make one of the cams jump a tooth or two, causing a loud banging when the piston and valves are out of synch. Is there any truth to that, and do you know in what position the marks should be on the cams when re-adjusting them? I don't want to go further than the valve and cam-belt covers without knowing what I'm doing. Thank you very much for your help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah, one more thing: Is there any way I can check the cat and pre-cat? Any way to see if they're still good?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts