Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento sx v6, 2014 Mazda 3 hatchback gs
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

New to the forum and this is my first post.

My wife and I just bought a 2013 LX-V6 Fwd and so far so good. We came from an 08 mazda 3 but as we are expecting a little guy in about 2 weeks we needed to upgrade. I live in Vancouver BC by the way.

So i have a couple of questions.

Apparently the sorento needs service every 6000km / or every 6 months whichever comes first, that's what they said at the dealership. Now, with our mazda, in 4 years we only put 34000km on it and I took it in for service every 5000km which worked out to about 2 times /year (the recommended was every 8000km or every 4 months) basically what I am trying to say is that we don't drive our car that much.

So when should I be taking our sorento in for service? I know for a fact that in 6months the car will not have 6000km's on it but should I still take it in every 6months regardless of the km's?

Also, since the car is brand new, I always thought that the oil needed to be changed sooner. They said however that I should just wait 6months/ or 6000km.

Secondly, my wife will be driving it most of the time and since we live pretty close to everything the distances that each trip will take are minimal. So, should she warm up the car at all before she leaves ( a few minutes at least) ?

We are going to have this car for many years and I want to do the right thing in terms of when I take it in for service etc, so any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long first post.....

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Six months sounds about right for service intervals in your cold climate, particularly if you're only doing a small number of km. I do think that every 4 months for your Mazda would have been excessive. If the dealer mandates 6 months intervals, they can get a bit uncooperative when you have a warranty issue outside 6 months.

Early first oil-change is an obsolete practice.

"Warming up" the engine isn't going to help much if you are just letting the car idle. I normally give the engine less than a minute before I head off, then drive conservatively until the temp gauge reads normal. In practice, that's simply idling the car down the drive and into traffic, followed by 2 kms to the main arterial road. In your climate, it will take longer to reach normal temp, but I think that simply idling will only lead to crank-case dilution.

In Australia, recommendation for many KIA models is 15,000km or 12 months and I am comfortable with this, although the service costs are fairly high in my opinion. So far, it's been the "$350 oil-change", but the car has performed perfectly.

You could save money by having the servicing done by a competent independent mechanic, but how would that affect your warranty? I usually stick with the dealer for the first few years of the warranty, then go to an independent mechanic once I'm happy that the car is "good". I did, however, abandon the Mazda dealer when I was quoted $540 for a service after a period when I had hardly used a particular car; on principle, I didn't service the car for another 18 months (10,000km) and it went perfectly.

Best wishes for the arrival of "The Little Guy".

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
we in lethbridge/alberta the next province have reccomendation of the severe classification..(windy, some dusty areas, sudden change of temp) so oil changes are every 3mos/6000km

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks for the replies,

so 6 months it is then. We don't exactly get cold winters here it is mostly just wet.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i doubt we will put even 3000km's on it in 6months

1 - 7 of 7 Posts