Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a canadian maintenance schedule...if so, please post it.

I'm going to be going in for 40,000 km maintenance. I think that's service #1, just oil change. Had my summer tires put on already.

Called to book an apointment and confirm. They said throttle body service is recommended. Said $280. What!!! What exactly is done? I find it hard to believe $280 worth of work and parts is involved in doing this based on what was described to me. I'd only be willing to pay up to $80-100 max.

I don't remember seeing the throttle body service in any maintenance schedule i've ever seen.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Yes, it's a scam. Normally they just put some cleaner down it ($10). The throttle body is where the carburettor would be if the car had one.

My wife dropped our car off for service one time and when asked if there were any problems, she commented that the "throttle was a bit sticky sometimes". What she meant, of course, was that the accelerator pedal felt a bit funny. The report comes back that the only fix was a new throttle body, $1600 (not a warranty item). Thanks, but "No Thanks".

I just gave the mechanism a slight blast with WD40 and left the throttle body alone. That was 7 years ago and it's still running perfectly.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX Regency Red, 2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2011 Toyota Hiace
575 Posts
Does anyone have a canadian maintenance schedule...if so, please post it.

I'm going to be going in for 40,000 km maintenance. I think that's service #1, just oil change. Had my summer tires put on already.

Called to book an apointment and confirm. They said throttle body service is recommended. Said $280. What!!! What exactly is done? I find it hard to believe $280 worth of work and parts is involved in doing this based on what was described to me. I'd only be willing to pay up to $80-100 max.

I don't remember seeing the throttle body service in any maintenance schedule i've ever seen.
You can refer to this site for Canadian maintenance. Just pick your model, year and trim.

Hope it helps :)

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is purring nicely. Don't think i need it. I'll have them skip it and have it done if any odd idlig occurs.

That link isn't quite what i ws looking for and it doesn't look right or complete. I'm looking for a pdf with all maintenance listed. I'll have to reread my owners manual for maintenance.

I had asked for a maintenance schedule from my dealer whn i bought m sorento and each time i go in foir service and they didnt have one available...maybe this is why. Sneak in maintenance since no schedule was given. He said the throttle body service was adde in 2013. Haha.

Anyway, she's purring fine, despite the oil mishap of the last oil change. I'll have to remind them of that.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Yeah, they try to sneak things in. e.g. If you do less than the suggested 10,000 km each 6 months, they will still do distance-related servicing. One of my cars once had the plugs changed at 59,000 km (5 Years), although the schedule said 100,000 km for plugs.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Its not worth paying anyone for either service, but you may want to take some time to do a throttle body cleaning (you should only need to wipe it off, not take the whole thing out). The other service you may want to take some time to do is to clean and lube your brakes. Also makes it super easy to flush and fill the brake fluid when the calipers are off. Neither is required, though I do each of them to my car (and change the power steering fluid) every other year. Cheap and easy insurance against those things going wrong.

Its not worth paying anyone to do though. Its one thing to flush/fill brake fluid, change power steering, clean/lube brakes, and clean throttle body yourself for maybe $20-$25 total cost. A shop would charge $300+. Way too much for that stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts