Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage EX
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kia owners manual (USA) says maintenance every 6500mi/6 months. Dealer is saying 3000mi/3 months. Who is right?

There also seems to be debate on how many miles the oil is actually good for. Changing too frequently is wasting money for oil that is still good vs. keeping the engine cleaner.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
162 Posts
I took my SX in for the first time a week ago and they suggested every 3000 miles. They stated that since I live in Chicago suburbs, the vehicle will demand more use, such as breaking and stop/go. A friend also said that with the Turbo, you should do it every 3000 either way.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage, Mustang GT, Murano, Goldwing
85 Posts
The engineers spend a lot of time and money working on the determining the proper intervals for required service. It would be unreasonable for your dealer to think that they know better. Follow the manual.

·
Super Moderator
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
yeah, sure... 3000 miles oil change... it does nothing but fill pockets your dealer.

It is a huge misconception in the USA. For whatever reason cars need oil change/service every 3000 miles, while in Europe, same model would require 15000 km (about 9000 miles). In two letters BS.

I would follow, and I DO, the users manual. Even better, print out a service schedule from KGIS. Link below.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Forte SX 5 door
108 Posts
Follow the manual. The dealers always say 3,000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first because they make more money and sell you stuff you don't need. If you do a lot of in-town and short driving where the engine doesn't get fully warmed up then it would be best to change more often. If normal, then the longer time would be appropriate. You might split the difference and do it at 5,000 miles and be perfectly safe. You can't go wrong by following the manual.

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
593 Posts
Sounds as though the sales team have made all the money they can out of you . . . so now it's the service department's turn.

Follow the manual and you can't go wrong if you (hope not!) have a warranty claim against Kia.

Don't know the laws in your part of the world, but here you don't have to return to a branded dealership to complete your scheduled services. Simply pick your preferred mechanical service centre, have them follow the service as outlined and get them to stamp or sign the docket to prove the service has been done. Any warranty claim must still recognised by Kia (or whatever brand you drive). An avenue I have travelled before and if Kia don't do the right thing financially (cost wise) to me, I'll happily follow that path again. Been OK so far . . . . (to be continued?)

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX T-GDI
70 Posts
The manual for the SX turbo says the first oil change should be at 3,000 miles, then every 5,000 after that.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul
12 Posts
Kia owners manual (USA) says maintenance every 6500mi/6 months. Dealer is saying 3000mi/3 months. Who is right?

There also seems to be debate on how many miles the oil is actually good for. Changing too frequently is wasting money for oil that is still good vs. keeping the engine cleaner.

Always go by the manual. Keep in mind that the dealer wants you to come more often so he can make more money. The dealer would have you there every day if he could.

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
296 Posts
I change the oil in both vehicles with synthetic every 15,000 KM, which is about 9,300 miles, or every 12 mo, whichever comes first. All city driving, and done in 4 real seasons.

The dealer does the work and they don't question it.

In my Porsches I did this every 24,000 KM or 2 years........FWIW.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts