Kia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of you have had feedback from the dealer, or if your personal experience dictates that certain maintenance tasks should be performed at every oil change, on top of what is mentioned in the owner's manual.

The reason I ask, is that I had a 2014 Veloster before my Sorento, and the GDi engine in that car was prone to severe carbon buildup on the intake side of things,, and so the dealerships apparently suggested decarbonation (e.g. Seafoam) every 30,000km (this is what an engine tech at Hyundai told me). I never did this, and at 160,000km, after I brought it in to get my crank shaft front seal changed, the tech told me he could hear pinging (carbon buildup in the intake manifold and intake valves), and that his 10 year experience with that engine tells him my catalytic converter was also getting clogged up, reducing effective power of the engine (back-pressure was his specific term used).

SO! Seeing as the owner's manual does not specify Seafoam type maintenance, or adding fuel additive any more frequently than every 30,000km I believe, is there anything that should be done to give this engine a chance of reaching 300,000km without needing a major overhaul?

·
Registered
Spicy Red 2012 Optima SX + GWP 2022 Sorento X-Line SX-Prestige AWD
17 Posts
FWIW: Likely won't hurt to do that service, but I'd suggest you have the dealership do it since many have a special machine to do this (BG GDi Fuel/Air Induction Service) and it will then be part of the cars record.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line- Aruba Green
197 Posts
I was wondering if any of you have had feedback from the dealer, or if your personal experience dictates that certain maintenance tasks should be performed at every oil change, on top of what is mentioned in the owner's manual.

The reason I ask, is that I had a 2014 Veloster before my Sorento, and the GDi engine in that car was prone to severe carbon buildup on the intake side of things,, and so the dealerships apparently suggested decarbonation (e.g. Seafoam) every 30,000km (this is what an engine tech at Hyundai told me). I never did this, and at 160,000km, after I brought it in to get my crank shaft front seal changed, the tech told me he could hear pinging (carbon buildup in the intake manifold and intake valves), and that his 10 year experience with that engine tells him my catalytic converter was also getting clogged up, reducing effective power of the engine (back-pressure was his specific term used).

SO! Seeing as the owner's manual does not specify Seafoam type maintenance, or adding fuel additive any more frequently than every 30,000km I believe, is there anything that should be done to give this engine a chance of reaching 300,000km without needing a major overhaul?
Our 2.5L engines have MPI & GDI so the GDI carbon issue isn't an issue anymore. :) The MPI cleans the intake valves anytime you are going low speeds. GDI is used at higher speeds.
One of the main reasons for getting this car with this engine.

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
868 Posts
This would be my sched if I were after 300K km:
  • 1st oil change @ 3-4K km; every 6K km after that, Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30, Rotella Gas Truck, Quaker State or MotoMaster Synth - buy when it's on sale. I'm biased toward Shell oils.
  • 1st ATF drain and fill @ 30K km, every 50K km after
  • 1st transfer case and diff fluid change @ 30K km, every 50K km after
  • spark plugs every 75K km
  • coolant and brake fluid - every 2 years
  • 1st 'decarb service' - 10K km, once a year after. Any carb cleaner will work but ideally PEA containing one.
most of those services (all for me) can be done by the owner without voiding warranty, just maintain records with service done, dates and mileage and what was used.

·
Registered
2022 Sorento SX-P PHEV
74 Posts
Our 2.5L engines have MPI & GDI so the GDI carbon issue isn't an issue anymore. :) The MPI cleans the intake valves anytime you are going low speeds. GDI is used at higher speeds.
One of the main reasons for getting this car with this engine.
Lucky you. AFAIK the 1.6T in the (P)HEV is GDI only, and thus would be subject to carbon buildup on the valves. I'll probably do a Seafoam treatment at some point - maybe 50k miles (since the engine doesn't run all that much in the PHEV). There's a process to get the engine to run constantly for emissions testing that should work to get it to run for a Seafoam cleaning. I read it once and it was absurdly complicated - like turn the ignition on 3.7 times then bounce a soccer ball off your head 5 times while reciting the pledge of allegiance backwards.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For the naturally aspirated engine in the 2021, requires 0w20 gf-6 ... I'm going with Kirkland 0w20 full synth, meets and exceeds gf-6a and it comes five quarts x 2 in a box ... For somewhere around 40$. Did some research, and it's Warren Distribution that makes it, and they have a good product reputation.

ATF at 30k km? I find that awfully soon... Service manual states every 100k km... Transfer case and rear diff at 60k ... Plugs every 150k .... I mean, I'm all about preventive maintenance, but that seems a little overzealous and throwing money at problems that don't exist...

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
868 Posts
If you want to save the most money you can get 5L jug (not 5 quarts) of Supertech at WM (when on sale) cheaper than Kirkland. Same manufacturer.

I'd still use 5w-30 oil due to fuel dilution issue and oil thinning out over OCI.
Getting fine metal shavings from transmission, diff and TX case early will greatly extend their lives.
Spark plugs are way cheaper than coils and you'd only change them 3x before hitting 300K km if you change them every 75K km.

Keep in mind, car manufacturers advise on using the thinnest oil engine can run safely to operate - to please CAFE and publish better gas mileage numbers; and they setup maintenance schedules to backup lower total cost of ownership numbers while warranty lasts. Those are never meant to extend vehicle's life.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line- Aruba Green
197 Posts
For the naturally aspirated engine in the 2021, requires 0w20 gf-6 ... I'm going with Kirkland 0w20 full synth, meets and exceeds gf-6a and it comes five quarts x 2 in a box ... For somewhere around 40$. Did some research, and it's Warren Distribution that makes it, and they have a good product reputation.

ATF at 30k km? I find that awfully soon... Service manual states every 100k km... Transfer case and rear diff at 60k ... Plugs every 150k .... I mean, I'm all about preventive maintenance, but that seems a little overzealous and throwing money at problems that don't exist...

View attachment 121943
That's weird - we don't have Automatics except in the hybrids.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here the LX and LX premium have an automatic 8 speed tranny. It's actually quite smooth tbh. I do miss my six speed sloshbox though... It's my first automatic car and I miss it lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts