Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX, 2011 Ford Ranger
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reviewing my manual for 24 month maintenance requirements. Two items are puzzling. Replace Fuel Filter and replace Fuel Tank Air Filter (CCV filter). From my research both items require dropping the gas tank as the fuel filter in inside (no external found) and the CCV is mounted on top of the tank. Not something one could do in the driveway. With the high fuel pressure of the GDI system, messing with any fuel related components is not recommended. This is a Canadian vehicle; are these maintenance requirements found in other markets? Has any one had this done? I have only seen in tank filters changed when the fuel was contaminated or there were low fuel pressure issues as it is an expensive procedure. Perhaps the 2.4 engine has an external filter, the manual does not specify...

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX, 6spd manual
184 Posts
Wow, that's a really short interval. On my BMW, the fuel filter if recommended to change after 80k km. It's even easy to change, right under the driver on the bottom of the car. The CCV filter has no recommended change, but 120k is suggested it's really hard to change though.

Hard to believe the CCV filter is on top of the tank though. It's the crank case ventilation, which brings fumes from the crank to the intake and should be on the engine somewhere.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX, 2011 Ford Ranger
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The CCV filter in this case is a Closed Canister Valve filter. If it gets plugged you have difficulty fueling the vehicle. There does not seem to be any other gas filter but the one in the tank, probably due to the high gas line pressure of GDI engines.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX, 6spd manual
184 Posts
Ahh, ok. Probably the same thing as a carbon canister. From what I've seen, direct injection engines have 2 fuel pumps. One low pressure pump in the tank to deliver the fuel to the front of the car, and a high pressure pump near the injectors. This is to minimize the amount of high pressure fuel pipes and leaks.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX
26 Posts
The manual I've been using has these items listed as Inspection Maintenance Items, not replacement items. The note says:

Fuel filter / Fuel tank air filter are considered to be maintenance free but periodic inspection is recommended for this maintenance schedule. If there are some important safety matters like fuel flow restriction, surging, loss of power, hard starting problem etc, replace the fuel filter immediately regardless of maintenance schedule and consult an authorized KIA dealer for details.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
checking this on KGIS, unless I'm misunderstanding it but it does not require removal of the gas tank for these items, the access to the fuel pump in the tank is under the rear seat via a service cover (but it does not mention the fuel filter, maybe thats in another location) and the Fuel tank air filter is accessible from under the vehicle next to the tank (shows diagrams of a canister).

·
Registered
Sportage SL
40 Posts
As for the Sportage SL (European make) the Fuel Tank Air Filter is absent on the 2.0l gas models since 2010. Fuel filter is to be replaced on 60.000kms

1 - 7 of 7 Posts