Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
New to the forum. My wife purchased an 2013 Rio. It is now at 5000Km. I have always done the maintenance on every car I have had for the past 40 years. But now, this is the first truly brand spanking new car we have owned. Looking through the manual in the maintenance section, it is stated
"This section gives instructions only for the maintenance items that are easy to perform. Several procedures can be done only by an authorized Kia dealer with special tools. Improper maintenance during the waranty period may affect waranty coverage."
Now, I planned to use the severe driving charts and change the oil every 6 to 8000Km. I will be using pure synthetic oil in the 5W30 range. I see Kia recomends 5W20 which I can also get but tought this was on the low side for the +30 degrees C we have been getting up here in the summer for the past couple of years. I was also planning on doing the rest on the normal maintenance chart. As far as tools go, I think I have above average sets of almost everything needed short of a duplex or 2 way scanner. Here lies the problem; my wife drives roughly 6 to 8000 Km a year. Maintenance states time or mileage, whichever comes first. Now I dont wnat to throw away synthetic that has 4000 Km @ $45.00 a gallon for nothing.
To sum it up, can I do my own maintenance on a new car and will I be covered under waranty? If so, what do I need as far as proof? Thanks for your help.
Don

·
Registered
2007 Grand Carnival EX, 2012 Rio Si 5 Door Hatch
21 Posts
Maintenance under warranty

In Australia the vehicle has to be serviced at the proper intervals by a licensed mechanic (not necessarily the dealer) if you want to make a warranty claim. The car has to be taken to a dealer for them to assess the warranty claim.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio Si
87 Posts
Our little 2012 Rio has just ticked over 10,000km in 9 months so i changed the oil today and chucked a new filter on. Fully synthetic Penrite 5w30, conforms to Kias oil requirements AFAIK.

The old oil was very dark and not viscous at all. I would not be comfortable leaving the oil in there for another 5,000

On a side note, bloody easy oil change with filter and sump nut in handy spots.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX, auto, red
25 Posts
Another new member here, first time to post. I bought a new Kia Rio last week and was going through the owners manual deciding on the oil change interval I will use. I also do all of my own maintenance services and have been doing so for the past 35 years.

I keep a copy of the receipt from the purchases of oil and filters and record everything in a log. I also cut out the UPC symbol with part of the label from the oil filter box as further proof. Not sure if this is necessary but it is easy to do. I also write on the receipts when I did the oil change and the mileage, in addition to the log.

Similar to Kcar I am planning on doing oil changes every 4000 - 5000 miles which translates very roughly into 6500 - 8000 km. If I don't reach this mileage by 5 or 6 months, I will do the oil change anyway. The 7500 mile or every 12 month interval in the manual for non-severe service is something I just can't stomach.

Couple of technical notes: the Rio engine only takes 3.5 quarts of oil. This seems like a tiny amount compared to other vehicles. ( I currently do the maintenance on six cars in the extended family fleet). Based on this I will probably do the first few oil changes a little early, watching for any oil consumption closely as any drop in oil level will result in not much oil in the crankcase.

Oil filters: I know those of us that do our own maintenance have preferences and I don't want to start any arguments but, when my Mom bought a new Hyundai Elantra Touring two years ago, I did an extensive amount of reading and discovered a strong recommendation by Hyundai to use their oil filters based on some documented engine failures due to other oil filters. Based on this I have used the blue OEM Hyundai/Kia oil filters. This provides further documentation that you are doing oil changes using recommended parts. The 2011 Hyundai and my 2013 Kia use the exact same filter. The filter appears to be very well made and I will use the Hyundai/Kia oil filters for my new one. This would give Kia one less thing to argue in the very unlikely event of an engine issue during the warranty period.

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX Turbo - Black / Beige
2,025 Posts
>>In Australia the vehicle has to be serviced at the proper intervals by a licensed mechanic (not necessarily the dealer) if you want to make a warranty claim.

by a licensed mechanic?
that means do it yourself is not warranty approved?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX Silver
36 Posts
Here in the US we are protected from warranty loss when we choose to do our own maintenance vs. go to a dealer. you are not required by anything to go to a dealer.

Magnuson-Moss Act legal definition of Magnuson-Moss Act. Magnuson-Moss Act synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

Magnuson-Moss protects you in many ways as a consumer in the USA. I used to be an Amsoil dealer and many times ppl would worry about changing over to 100% synthetic that has a longer life span than traditional oils.

So long as you are staying equal to OEM you are fine. Please poke around for examples of this law in action. It can protect you in these types of situations.

More or less they have to prove the fault which has happened was specifically due to something you did differently. That can be tough.

·
Registered
13 Rio SLS Man
103 Posts
>>In Australia the vehicle has to be serviced at the proper intervals by a licensed mechanic (not necessarily the dealer) if you want to make a warranty claim.

by a licensed mechanic?
that means do it yourself is not warranty approved?
In Aus you can do your own maintenance, or get your vehicle serviced elsewhere by a mechanic who must use genuine or equivalent parts and specified fluids. Warranty issues must be repaired at a Kia dealer.
HOWEVER
You leave yourself in a murky area if the manufacturer believes a warranty issue was caused by incorrect servicing/parts.
I see the benefits now provided as part of a new car purchase as slowly becoming like a yearly insurance, like the 5 year roadside assistance in ONLY available if you service at the dealer, it is renewed at the same time. I wonder how long it will be before your warranty only continues with a dealer service?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts