Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Looking to buy sportage
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can warranty work be undertaken by a non kia (independent) garage and still maintain the 7 year warranty? E.g. using genuine Kia parts?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
11,003 Posts
Update user CP with location, vehicle model and year

Can warranty work be undertaken by a non kia (independent) garage and still maintain the 7 year warranty? E.g. using genuine Kia parts?
That would depend on the country you're in.

Please update your profile detail, ......at least location and vehicle (year & model).

Click on “User CP” near the top right of the page, then "Edit Your Details" on the left.

http://www.kia-forums.com/forum-rules/27240-forum-rules.html

Not possible while using the mobile app.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
11,003 Posts
In the US we may do DIY services or independent service stations, as long as you keep all records/proof and use products that meet or exceed the manufacturers spec - Maybe others can comment on the requirements in the UK.

Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,407 Posts
I'm puzzled that you wrote 'warranty work', because that would normally mean repairs covered by KIA, and made at no cost to you. So even if this is acceptable by KIA/UK, why would you want to pay an independent shop to do warranty repairs? Perhaps you had actually meant to write 'non-warranty work' instead?

·
Super Moderator
11,003 Posts
I'm puzzled that you wrote 'warranty work', because that would normally mean repairs covered by KIA, and made at no cost to you. So even if this is acceptable by KIA/UK, why would you want to pay an independent shop to do warranty repairs? Perhaps you had actually meant to write 'non-warranty work' instead?
Good point, I misread it as routine maintenance work to uphold the warranty.

·
Registered
Looking to buy sportage
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, you are correct. I meant non warranty work like DMF and DPF repairs. I've had DMFs replaced on a couple of diesels and none of them have been covered under warranty.

I have a local garage that I would trust to do any of this work, which will be cheaper than going through a KIA dealer (I'm assuming)

·
Super Moderator
11,003 Posts
Yes, you are correct. I meant non warranty work like DMF and DPF repairs. I've had DMFs replaced on a couple of diesels and none of them have been covered under warranty.

I have a local garage that I would trust to do any of this work, which will be cheaper than going through a KIA dealer (I'm assuming)
Here in the US some of the dealerships prices for routine maintenance is pretty good, often better than the quick lube places.

If KIA UK warranty rules are the same as the US, then general maintenance work done DIY or independent shop will not void the KIA warranty.

Warranty repairs would only be done by a Kia dealership, seeing as this gets done at a fixed price paid by Kia Corp.

I don't fully understand what you're questioning here.

·
Registered
Looking to buy sportage
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, thanks.
I'm questioning non warranty, non maintenance work, e.g. replacement of fly wheel & clutch plate, being done by a non kia garage, and whether this invalidates the warranty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts