Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I have a 2002 Kia Spectra LS, which up until a few days ago has had very few problems. Unfortunately, that's no longer the case. A couple of days ago, what I would call the main power feed (for lack of a better description) for the car stopped sending power through. All of the following items quit working at the same time:

*) Inside overhead lights (switched and door operated)
*) Door chime
*) Radio
*) LCD Clock
*) Power door locks (while the key is in the off position)

The power door locks work while the key is on, but once the key is shut off they no longer function. I have checked all fuses that I know about (there's a panel underneath the hood, and one in the drivers side kickpanel) - none of them are blown, and I've even gone so far as to swap out any that I even thought were related (to no avail). I also swapped several of the female termination fuses in the fuse box as well, also to no avail.

It all seems to stem from one power feed - unswitched, probably straight from the battery - but I have yet to find anything that would be stopping the flow of power to the inside.

The one thing I find really strange is - when you take the fuse out labeled "Meter" (top middle fuse in the drivers side kickpanel) and then put it back in, the door chime will sound exactly six times, then it stops again.

Nothing has changed as far as the wiring, etc. (I took the instrument cluster trim panel off yesterday to check wires with a test light - finding that the only wires that had no power were those that seemed to run directly to the battery). Needless to say, I'm at a loss here.

I tried calling a local Kia dealership here (the service department) to get a few pointers, and the only thing they could tell me is "make sure noone pulled any of your fuses out of the fuse panel" (which would have been a great magic trick, considering I was about a half mile from home - on my way to the house when the clock went off, so it's doubtful anyone could pull a fuse while I'm cruising at 55mph).

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas on this, please feel free to shoot them my way. Otherwise, I guess I'm going to take it to the dealership tomorrow and have them work on it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
I beleive all of these are related to the room fuse under the hood. It's the one with the tabs to make removing it easier. Be sure to remove the fuse from this holder to check it, or if you can, just replace it. Sometimes fuses go bad and it's not because they blew. IF that's not the problem, then you have a wiring issue. Let me know and I'll tell you what else to check.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there. Thanks for the info. I had checked the room fuse before, but I replaced it with a new fuse (for safety's sake). Unfortunately, it didn't fix it.

Would this fuse be hot while the ignition switch is off? If so, I should get power through it, even if it's not making it inside right?

I would definitely appreciate any other ideas you might be able to share.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Yes, it would be hot when the key is off.

This would be easier if you have and know how to use a multimeter, but there are some connections you can check anyway.

Right after the fuse, there is a connector under the fuse block. There will actually be a few of them, so disconnect them all and look for bent terminals. You'll have to unbolt them first; as you unscrew the bolt in the center of each connector it should slide off. You might luck out and see one that's not fully connected; it happens.

If the problem isn't there, then you'll want to check what's called a short connector. It looks like a connector without the other half. The one you want to check is located behind the interior fuse block. It will have some pink, yellow, and maybe red w/black wires going to it. Make sure nothing is loose coming at the connector.

If you don't see the problem at either of these places, you'll either have to take it in or get a multimeter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, guess what? I came home awhile ago and went to double check the fuse panel again (because I wanted to verify that that fuse was getting power). Come to find out, I was looking at the wrong fuse. I went back and read what you said about the tabs, and got to looking, and sure enough, there's a fuse under what I originally thought was the fuse puller (call me dense). It's sorta' ironic though - that thing made it much harder to see, and not to mention harder to take out (getting the fuse out of that holder was a pain!). Anyway, your information pointed me in the right direction, so I owe you a debt of gratitude. Thank you for the info. I now know a little more about my car, and I have all my accessories back.

You've been a great help. Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts