Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone switched the stock oil drain plug to the magnetic type or using filter magnets?
As a life long motorcyclist, we have always had magnetic oil drain plugs in our motorcycles and you can clearly see what they attract/pick up.
Motorcycles share the same crankcases with the transmission though so clearly there is more of a need for one in motorcycles than in cars.
Just curious what members have been doing, if anything and what they have been finding, if anything on the tips of their drain plugs or in their filters?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I have taken apart old hard drives(the larger the giga-byte drive the larger the magnet) and then take the magnet and stick it on the filter. Can't see what it's doing but I don't feel it is hurting anything.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Its worth the 5 bucks they cost. Ive seen a few cars use them, and do catch shavings. They work great on trans plugs too.

Sticking one onhe filter doesn't seem to me would do much. Its on the outside. Whereas the drain plug, its actually sitting, in with the oil.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx...I may get one as they are about 10.00 shipped for steel plugs.
I do not want an alloy plug though.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I agree that magnetic plugs work well.

That magnet makes the surrounding metal shell magnetic. The ferrous material will stick to the inside and stay in the filter. When you change the filter it stays in there and you dispose of it at that time.

And really, when you get right down to it, if we have that much iron floating in the oil we have more problems to worry about than magnet placement.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Its good thought that even if there is 1 tiny metal particle, that it will get caught using this.
I am sure every motor sees a tiny amount of shavings.
Just piece of mind, knowing if anything is in there, it will get caught by the manent.
On a neon I had, we changed the trans fluid, to find an enourmous amount of shavings in the oil, though, there never was anything wrong with the car, sold it at 110K miles running strong.

·
Super Moderator
2,972 Posts
the airlines have been using magnetic drain plugs and some auto manufactures for years. the great thing about them they will pick up the microscopic partials as the oil filter removes particles to about 35 microns and the rest just circulate around the with the oil and the magnet gets the rest (ferrous metals)

·
Registered
73 Posts
by a filtermag
it is six rear earth magnets in a plastic resin container that clips on to the out side of the filter goes about half way round i have them on all our cars you would be amazed how much metal there in a new engine if you cut the top of the old filter
with the filter mag still attched you can see it sticking to the side of the filter case
there some good vidos on utube just type in filtermag on u tube

·
Registered
5 Posts
What you could do...

Disassemble a hold/defective computer hard drive and keep the magnets.
Install one magnet on the bottom of the oil pan and/or on the oil plug head.
Works well.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
They are useful in motorcycles because they (mostly) share a common oil system for both gearbox and engine. The gearbox will shed material over time.

In a car, there is very little chance of anything ferrous being shed unless something disastrous has happened, and the magnetic plug won't make any difference...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gutsy rare earth magnet triggers oil light

I tried a overly large 100 gram rare earth magnet on the oil filter of my yamaha FJR1300 and it bought up the engine oil light. Sounded the same so i suspect it just triggered the sensor. Could only be used for mischief or tormenting your friends. >:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts