Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , can anyone shed any light on the subject of fuel economy, my '02 magentis SE 2.5 automatic has just done my regular 200 mile round trip for the first time and Im really **** off to find that it only averaged 29.odd mpg. My old 4.0 sovereign did 33mpg on this run as did my old 3.0 24v senator. Im talking Imperial gallons not US. around town its even worse and I'm too scared to use the tiptronic box to get a bit of go out of it in case I hit single figures !! How easy is it to reprogram this engine/tranny as I would like either economy or performance, at the moment im getting neither !!! I quite like the car but am disapointed by the fuel problem, any ideas ?

·
Registered
2007 Optima, 2007 Sorento
716 Posts
I have a '02 LX V6 and barely get 27 mpg in the USA on a trip. Most of the time I average both city and highway around 22-24 mpg. My Camry got me over 30 mpg day in/day out. According to the president of Kia USA in a news story, Kia is known for its "crappy" fuel economy (his words)and has undertaken plans to improve all products in the future.

I have no personal experience with reprogramming the Optima's computers. Good luck. With prices for gasoline going way up here in the states (and I am sure overseas too), we all will be looking to save on fuel. I drive less now.

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
Im getting 26 mpg here in the US with my 04 Opitima LX 2.4L 4cyl. Thats mixed driving. I too dont know how to reprogram a Optima.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Magentis
67 Posts
I totally understand you. When I purchased my 4 cyl. Magentis I thought I would save on fuel compared to my Big 3.8L V6 Buick. Was I ever wrong. I average about 25 mpg with this Magentis. It's by far what I hate the most about car... The new 2006 will have better mpg due to better engines. But for the rest of us I guess we are out of luck. Unless you can save fuel by reprogramming the computer.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

I use the stick shift all the time I dont think it makes that much of a difference on fuel economy. I find the car accelerates faster and easier without having to press more on the gas pedal when you let it rev a bit more then it would normally when it shifts automaticaly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for your prompt replies, dont get me wrong, i like the car ,it's just that the fuel figures came as a bit of a shock. That the fuel price has just reached 4.20 GBP per gallon hasn't helped my bank balance.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have an 04 Optima, v6 that has l700 miles on it and the gas mileage has been consistent at 23mpg and I thought I was the only one but then I am thankful that it is getting that much. Hope it will get better after it is broken in good. :)

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,979 Posts
Yeah, if anyone can figure out how to get better MPG then please tell me. On a full tank (well 3/4 of the tank) I get MAYBE, 300 Miles. But if I drive on the highway, it drops. Sucks, that's really the only thing that I don't like about my optima. I'm getting about 17MPG mixed driving. But then again I'm driving at [email protected],000RPM. Am I wrong or does the 30MPG highway driving mean that you have to drive @ 55/[email protected]? Let me know... Thanks! :57:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I don't know what's happened to your gas mileages, but I'm getting spot-on what Natural Resources Canada tells me that I should be getting (www.energuide.ca).

I just filled my tank up last night: 400.6km, 48.24L, 100% city driving, and I drive aggressively (I don't hold back on the throttle-- I hit redline at least twice a day). That's 12.0 L/100km = 23.7 MPG (imp. gals). The government says I should be getting 11.7 L/100km in the city (24MPG).

So my city fuel mileage is about 3% below the government's estimates. Fuel prices suck, but I can't fault my Kia-- it does exactly what it was advertised to do. On the highway I get much better gas mileage, but I don't have any figures on me-- it's been a while since I last went on a road trip.

For what it's worth, a V6 Camry is rated at 11.5 L/100km (25 MPG). A pretty marginal difference-- the Kia's estimated fuel economy is a whopping 1.7% worse.

If you guys are getting terrible gas mileage, you may want to have your engines checked out.

My car: 2004 Magentis EX-V6, 35,000km.

Regards,
-Melchior

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2003 2.0 L Magentis LX. I've just worked out that my average MPG over 12000 miles here in the UK has been 32 mpg (imperial) My worst figure, driving principally around town on short trips has been 29mpg and my best 35. These figures don't seem too bad to me, given that the car's a bit of a weighty beast

·
Registered
2003 Kia Optima
12 Posts
Next Generation Motor Sports, ( nxtgenmotorsports.com ) Has a fuel tuner that will allow you to program your fuel usage. You can lean out your fuel, (as long as you don’t hot rod it!) get more gas mileage and more power do to the lean. Look in to it. It is a great thing to have if you plan to put more mods on the car and need to fine tune the ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well mileage also depends on which gas station you fill up at.
I have noticed that I get the best mileage when I fill up at Chevron or Shell or 76.
And I get the worst when I fill up at Arco. No wonder they have the cheapest gas!

Anyone else notice this? Which gas station do you use?

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
83 Posts
i decided to see what mine is with mixed driving at 70-80mph on the highway. i drive to work and back at 70-80mph 60 mile round trip 5-6 days out of the week all highway with quite a bit of stop and go since my car also serves as the family car. i get about 32mpg :bwekk: . one thing that i think helps is that i cycle the a/c on and off only when needed. whats funny is i put a short ram air intake system on and i think it hurt my gas mileage. oh, its an 04 4cyl auto and i use the sport shift all the time.

·
Registered
97 Posts
FORGET ARCO GAS! When I was in San Diego for 3 years I used Arco gas once... and never again! Not only was my engine sluggish and wanted to stall the mpg was insanly low for my Rio. BAH on Arco!

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,979 Posts
Originally posted by bjm@Sep 18 2005, 01:20 AM
i decided to see what mine is with mixed driving at 70-80mph on the highway. i drive to work and back at 70-80mph 60 mile round trip 5-6 days out of the week all highway with quite a bit of stop and go since my car also serves as the family car. i get about 32mpg :bwekk: . one thing that i think helps is that i cycle the a/c on and off only when needed. whats funny is i put a short ram air intake system on and i think it hurt my gas mileage. oh, its an 04 4cyl auto and i use the sport shift all the time.
32MPG??? WTF? man that sux.. how can I get MORE MPG then.. man I'm mad now! Grrrrr!!! :grin:

But seriously.. any one have ANY ideas on how to boost my MPG? Please Please PLEASE let me know, thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2002 optima 4 cyl. Mixed driving i am getting around 20 mpg. I still need to change my fuel filter and changing the plugs wouldn't hurt anything. all i have to say is i hate Kia and i will never buy one for myself.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,979 Posts
Originally posted by Chargerz919@Sep 21 2005, 11:21 AM
I have a 2002 optima 4 cyl. Mixed driving i am getting around 20 mpg. I still need to change my fuel filter and changing the plugs wouldn't hurt anything. all i have to say is i hate Kia and i will never buy one for myself.
Hmm.. now I wouldn't go as far as to "HATE" KIA, I'm just not as satisfied as I would like to be. Changing out the Fuel Filter and (especially) the spark plugs WON'T give you better MPG. Keeping your car TUNED right and making sure that you DO NOT drive crazy will give you better MPG. I just can not afford to TUNE my optima right now.. but when I can I WILL by a K&N air filter.. which will atleast give me 1,000,000 Miles before I NEED to change the air filter.. atleast that's awesome! :57:

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 04 2litre Optima gets an average of 9.7km/liter (23MPG) in mixed driving, best at 12.6km/liter (30MPG) in highways with speed about 110km/hr.

Fuel consumption sky-high when taffic jam, stop-go-stop-go situation really killing the petrol as Optima is heavy, need more power to make it start rolling..

Currently I'm trying with slightly higher tyre pressure and this have some help to improve the fuel consumption. Hope this FOC action would be of help to you.. :57:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am getting better than 11km/L with some simple DIY gadgets. Dunno how much if converted to miles/gallon. Driving mostly 20% city and 80% highway at 80-120kph. Perhaps, 13km/L if 99% highway at 100-130kph. It's probably among the best for those >2000kg 2L gasoline cars if I am not wrong.

Some of those sub-2000kg 2L cars might be better with more city driving due to the benefit of reduced weight.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts